Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fansided - 5 Bold Predictions for Reds Spring Training

Fansided - 5 Bold Predictions for Reds Spring Training

https://blogredmachine.com/2020/02/1...ng-training/2/

Here's the link. To be honest 4 of them are about opening day. And I think they are kinda spot on.

1) Gray is Opening Day starter instead of Castillo. - They base it on better stats in second half. It is coin flip but I suspect it goes to Castillo who probably cares more.
    2 ) Aquino starts in AAA - To me this is very likely. He has options and it's such an easy answer to overcrowded OF.
    3) Lorenzen plays more in field than on mound. This is actually a regular season prediction. And Bell says he plans to give Lorenzen more work. I'm not sure this happens and I'm not sure I want it to. I don't know that I want Reds to be able to carry extra pitcher instead of hitter.
    4. Schebler makes opening day roster - Their boldest call but one I've been thinking is a possibility for a long time. Which is why they haven't cut him. They base it mostly on possibility of trade of other OF.
    5. Farmer starts opening day. Their logic is that Geno is out and Farmer either starts at 3rd or 2nd.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

DocRed (02-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fansided - 5 Bold Predictions for Reds Spring Training

I see almost zero chance at 4. I mean he tore it up last spring and then stunk afterwards....so what if he does it again?

5 seems like the most likely if you look at all of management's comments about them propping up Farmer at SS.

Doesn’t matter to me who starts opening day. Gray or Castillo feel right. Agree with AA in AAA to start. We’ve seen possibilities, let him pinch hit later in the season, take over for injuries, or best-case-scenario, take over for Castellenos next year cause his 2020 was sooooo good, he had to opt out.
    No way on 3. I like Lorenzen in the field some, but he has to pitch a lot for this squad to be successful.
    No way on 4. Thanks for conquering the final boss Scheb. I rooted for you, and I’m a big fan. But this outfield simply doesn’t have room... barring injury catastrophe.
    I could see 5 happening. I like farmer.

for me:

1) doesn't matter
    2) Aquino in AAA or a trade
    3) Lorenzen needs to pitch only
    4) not happening
    5) could happen depends on Suarez.

#3 was not well written by the BRM writer but I actually did read it as he will spend more time in the field during SPRING TRAINING so that Bell can prepare him to hit that 20 game benchmark to achieve the two-way player designation. I personally think that would be getting too cute. He's a great athlete and is fine as a late inning replacement in the field but he simply doesn't hit well enough. He's a great hitter for a pitcher but I'd rather give his PH opportunities and OF starts to whomever wins the 5th OFer competition

#4 - I could see it if Winker were traded and they decided on the left handed bat off the bench with his ability to play all 3 OF spots

I guess that's why they called it 'Bold Predictions'

Here are five predictions of my own:

1.) Tyler Mahle ends up on the Opening Day roster.
    Whether it's by injury to a starter in front of him, a decision to take the best arms to Cincinnati, or the dominance shown in short innings, Mahle is on the OD roster.

2.) Freddy Galvis starts on Opening Day-- at 2B.
    The Reds know they have a weak link at shortstop and have been actively looking to plug that hole all off-season. I'm guessing it'll be either Brock Holt (on a super cheap bargain of a one-year deal) or a trade for a more established player. Galvis will become the backup middle infielder/ glove man this team needs. And Suarez's injury will be played conservatively. Moustakas will play 3B, and Galvis will transition to 2B for about a week.

3.) Winker is traded.
    Jesse Winker is among the better hitters the Reds have. He's a career 120 wRC+ bat. He's cheap too. But the outfield is overcrowded, and the Reds see promise in Aristides Aquino not just as a hitter, but as a defender and runner as well. As a result, Winker's dealt late in Spring Training to an American League team in order to ease the logjam and allow Aquino to start. (With Senzel/ Akiyama/ Ervin as placeholders should he fail.)

4.) Nick Senzel plays some SS in Spring Training.
    I'm hedging my bets on prediction number two here. There will be at least one article about Nick Senzel taking ground balls at shortstop. At least one Red "insider" will say he looks good there and, with enough reps, could be good enough to start. Williams will see his lack of options at the position, the logjam in the OF, and Senzel's utility. Senzel will ask to practice there. RedsZone will lose its collective mind.

5.) At least one non-roster invitee will make the squad out of Spring Training.
    My guess right now is LH Jesse Biddle. Could be Tyler Thornburg. Or Josh D. Smith. I don't think it'll be Nate Jones, as he looks like he'll be a rehab guy. It could be Matt Davidson to play 3B until Suarez is back. Or Derek Dietrich. Or Christian Colon. Regardless, someone will make it, necessitating another 40-man roster move.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-17-2020)

1. The Reds have 3 guys who could start opening day. That is the best thing that's happened in a long time.
    2. Aquino should be in AAA. He seems to be a "year of the homer" guy.
    3. If Lorenzen plays enough OF to be a 2 way player that seems like a good thing. Until you realize that if he's hurt playing OF, its a waste.
    4. Schebler? He's a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency type on a good team. The real wild card might just be Alfredo Rodriguez.
    5. Why do you think they brought in Dietrich? I like Farmer but I don't think I'd have him start often. IMO with 2nd/3rd, Senzel stays in the OF, Moose might move to 3rd for a short while, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them fill in at 3rd with other players.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    https://blogredmachine.com/2020/02/1...ng-training/2/

Here's the link. To be honest 4 of them are about opening day. And I think they are kinda spot on.

1) Gray is Opening Day starter instead of Castillo. - They base it on better stats in second half. It is coin flip but I suspect it goes to Castillo who probably cares more.
    2 ) Aquino starts in AAA - To me this is very likely. He has options and it's such an easy answer to overcrowded OF.
    3) Lorenzen plays more in field than on mound. This is actually a regular season prediction. And Bell says he plans to give Lorenzen more work. I'm not sure this happens and I'm not sure I want it to. I don't know that I want Reds to be able to carry extra pitcher instead of hitter.
    4. Schebler makes opening day roster - Their boldest call but one I've been thinking is a possibility for a long time. Which is why they haven't cut him. They base it mostly on possibility of trade of other OF.
    5. Farmer starts opening day. Their logic is that Geno is out and Farmer either starts at 3rd or 2nd.
    It's not a big deal to me, but personally I'd love to see Castillo start because he's been here for a while and developed by our system. I'm cool with Gray/Castillo either way but Castillo just feels more 'right.'

1 there are options here but barring a physical setback of some sort I see no chance of anyone but Castillo on the mound opening day

2. Barring a trade I’d say this is the most likely scenario

3 with an already crowded outfield I can’t imagine Lorenzen getting many starts out there....probably a lot of late inning stuff for defense and to throw him and the two thing a bone

4. I’m as big a Schebler fan as there is but I think it would take a tragedy followed by a miracle to see him in Cincy opening day

5 I feel like if Suarez doesn’t answer the bell that it’s more likely we see Dietrich at second opening day or if the 40 man thing doesn’t shake out then VanMeter or Blandino

I'll play:

1. Senzel gets at least 50 starts at 2B in 2020 and another 70 or so in CF. With time off the bench in other games he reaches 500 PAs and proves one of the Reds most valuable players. .
    2. Akiyama plays CF when Senzel doesn't and plays LF against LHP when Winker sits. He plays RF when Castellanos needs a day off. He'll rest some himself but also ends up with over 500 PAs with middling results.
    3. One of Ervin or Aquino is traded. It will be Ervin for something minor or Aquino if they can get something more impactful. Schebler may be included as part of a ready made platoon for some team needing OF help.
    4. Kyle Farmer grabs a role as a tandem SS against LHP when the Reds have a flyball guy on the mound. The extra outfielders (2), Casali and the winner of the JVM/Dietrich battle join Farmer on the Reds bench.
    5. The bullpen becomes a significant problem by the end of May unless the Reds grab another impact reliever. IF they can get a guy, the Reds win the Central in a walk.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-16-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    2.) Freddy Galvis starts on Opening Day-- at 2B.
    The Reds know they have a weak link at shortstop and have been actively looking to plug that hole all off-season. I'm guessing it'll be either Brock Holt (on a super cheap bargain of a one-year deal) or a trade for a more established player. Galvis will become the backup middle infielder/ glove man this team needs. And Suarez's injury will be played conservatively. Moustakas will play 3B, and Galvis will transition to 2B for about a week.

3.) Winker is traded.
    Jesse Winker is among the better hitters the Reds have. He's a career 120 wRC+ bat. He's cheap too. But the outfield is overcrowded, and the Reds see promise in Aristides Aquino not just as a hitter, but as a defender and runner as well. As a result, Winker's dealt late in Spring Training to an American League team in order to ease the logjam and allow Aquino to start. (With Senzel/ Akiyama/ Ervin as placeholders should he fail.)

4.) Nick Senzel plays some SS in Spring Training.
    I'm hedging my bets on prediction number two here. There will be at least one article about Nick Senzel taking ground balls at shortstop. At least one Red "insider" will say he looks good there and, with enough reps, could be good enough to start. Williams will see his lack of options at the position, the logjam in the OF, and Senzel's utility. Senzel will ask to practice there. RedsZone will lose its collective mind.
    #2 - The Brock Holt thing would be interesting. I'm not convinced he could be a full timer at SS but it's worth a shot

#3 - I'd hate to see it but it's probably the clearest path to full time work for Castellanos and Senzel with Akiyama and Aquino getting ABs with the hope of one of them forcing their way into a full time gig (we may differ a little here since it looks like you would have Aquino starting and Akiyama and Senzel battling)

#4 - I want this simply for the 30 page thread. I think he plays some 2B but not SS citing the concern over making the throw from SS after shoulder surgery

I can’t see anyway they sign Holt and move a very good defensive SS to 2B for him.

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-16-2020),Big Klu (02-16-2020),Griffey012 (02-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I can’t see anyway they sign Holt and move a very good defensive SS to 2B for him.
    I think if they were serious about Holt (a lefty bat) they wouldn't have messed with Dietrich. I'd rather have Holt than Dietrich or JVM, but I don't see it happening.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    3 with an already crowded outfield I can’t imagine Lorenzen getting many starts out there....probably a lot of late inning stuff for defense and to throw him and the two thing a bone
    Hits great for a pitcher but a 235/279/432 line over 300 at bats doesn't scream "Needs to play" with this roster. He's the backup, backup center fielder and that's not really a roster spot for most teams.

Given how crowded the outfield is Lorenzon doesn't deserve a single start out there and that's not meant as a slam against his athletic ability. It's a remark at how improved the reds outfield roster is.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

19. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-17-2020),HammerTime (02-16-2020),M2 (02-16-2020),MoneyInTheBank (02-16-2020),OGB (02-18-2020),Red Raindog (02-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Hits great for a pitcher but a 235/279/432 line over 300 at bats doesn't scream "Needs to play" with this roster. He's the backup, backup center fielder and that's not really a roster spot for most teams.

Given how crowded the outfield is Lorenzon doesn't deserve a single start out there and that's not meant as a slam against his athletic ability. It's a remark at how improved the reds outfield roster is.
    Never understood why we try to push this so hard. He's a late innings defensive replacement and that’s about it. Emergency PH.

Turn Off Ads?