Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daytona 500

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Daytona 500

My thoughts and prayers are with Ryan. I don't follow NASCAR much since #3 got killed, but I follow Ryan as close as I can. South Bend native and a Purdue grad with a B.S. in engineering.

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-19-2020),Revering4Blue (02-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Newman continues to show improvement. It's remarkable how he survived that. They said after Dale, Sr. died they made the walls more energy absorbing and that may have been a big reason Newman survived. So many people deserve credit for his survival. From the people who made the car so strong and the pit crew who kept it up and the emergency personnel who put out the fire and got to him and got him to the hospital so quickly.

***edit***

He has been released from the hospital according to his racing team.

Last edited by Chip R; 02-19-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-19-2020),Revering4Blue (02-19-2020),Roy Tucker (02-19-2020)

In regards to the walls, I think every current track has them....at least in the likely crash areas. As you can see in the image below, the old wall is the concrete wall in the back. Look at how much impact the flex wall takes and gives. Dale Earnhardt likely survives with these new walls, but he would have also likely survived if he wore the HANS Device which does not allow the head to move. When Earnhardt hit the wall, I am sure there is a better description, but the impact was so powerful his head whipped forward basically scrambling his brain as it went against his skull. The cage inside the car keeps it from actually crushing inward which is why these guys rarely have broken limbs.

FWIW, that wall looks soft, but I have been up close and touched them....they are not soft and a human cannot budge them.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Newman being released less than 48 hours that wreck is truly a miracle and a testament to the safety of today's race cars!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

8. Likes:

Chip R (02-20-2020)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Newman being released less than 48 hours that wreck is truly a miracle and a testament to the safety of today's race cars!!!
    Yep. They have made the walls safer, no doubt, but I think the bigger credit here has to go to the car. You see wall contact like Newman's at almost any race run at restrictor-plate tracks anymore. What made this wreck so horrifying was that he got T-boned at full speed by the 32 on the driver's door while upside down. And you know how the driver's window is open on those cars, Lajoie's bumper might have been mere inches from Newman's head at impact. And then to go airborne and land and add in the fuel spill... all kinds of potential for that to turn out tragically. Very glad it didn't, and I hope he is back racing soon.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-20-2020),dubc47834 (02-20-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Yep. They have made the walls safer, no doubt, but I think the bigger credit here has to go to the car. You see wall contact like Newman's at almost any race run at restrictor-plate tracks anymore. What made this wreck so horrifying was that he got T-boned at full speed by the 32 on the driver's door while upside down. And you know how the driver's window is open on those cars, Lajoie's bumper might have been mere inches from Newman's head at impact. And then to go airborne and land and add in the fuel spill... all kinds of potential for that to turn out tragically. Very glad it didn't, and I hope he is back racing soon.
    For sure man...for where all the contact points were during that wreck and the speeds involved, him walking out of that hospital yesterday was truly amazing. NASCAR and their safety team deserve a ton of credit. Now for how the rest of the sport has been ran and marketed by NASCAR, that's another story!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-20-2020),IslandRed (02-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?