Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we respecting Galvis enough?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Are we respecting Galvis enough?

I think Galvis is going to have a good year.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (02-19-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (02-19-2020),Mr Larkin (02-19-2020),redsfanmia (02-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

there's no way the reds are keeping all those outfielders. i still think a trade for a shortstop is coming.

5. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    there's no way the reds are keeping all those outfielders. i still think a trade for a shortstop is coming.
    I don’t think the Reds have the prospects to get much better than Galvis, unless they’re willing to part with Lodolo and Senzel plus a marginal Winker/Ervin type of major league player. A Senzel and Lodolo package is probably the starting point if you want a serious upgrade.

7. Likes:

Mr Larkin (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cnwizz View Post
    There's been a bunch of conversation this off-season about meeting to upgrade at the SS position and we currently have Freddy Galvis penciled in as the starter there.

While I agree the club should always be entertaining opportunities to upgrade, especially if lindor or seager are seemingly available, I don't think it should be lost that Galvis isn't a decent player.

Anyone else think we'll be just fine this year with Galvis as our starting SS?

"Respect is earned, not given."

If one of your top 2 or 3 best offensive players has a career line like Galvis's .248/.291/.384 you're obviously not going anywhere as a team. If the rest of the Reds play well enough they could win despite have a zero at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I don’t think the Reds have the prospects to get much better than Galvis, unless they’re willing to part with Lodolo and Senzel plus a marginal Winker/Ervin type of major league player. A Senzel and Lodolo package is probably the starting point if you want a serious upgrade.
    senzel, india & santillan could get something done. reds need to hold on to lodolo, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    senzel, india & santillan could get something done. reds need to hold on to lodolo, imo.
    Nobody is gonna give up a premium SS for the latter two. They just aren’t. I think they should hold on to Lodolo too, but if you want a serious upgrade at SS as opposed to a minor one, I doubt it’ll be possible.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

I read a lot on this site, but I rarely post. This topic inspired me to throw in my two cents.
    For some of the regulars on this board, you would think that Galvis had never played the game before and that he was being thrust into this lineup with no hope. I am not a huge Galvis fan, but he is a solid player - possibly the best defender on the diamond when at SS, a streaky hitter with some pop and a respectable clubhouse guy. With the money the Reds have spent to upgrade the rest of the team, I don't think Galvis was the weakest link. He has the talent to play well this season and contribute to a quality team.
    If you compare him to the top SS in the game, without a doubt, he pales in comparison. But do the Reds want to give up what it would take to get a top 5 SS? If they want to be competitive for more than this season, I wouldn't think so.
    I say, and what I say has no effect at all (something some on this board don't understand), let's see how things progress for the first 8-10 weeks and if Galvis is the only thing keeping us from a WS, then you can make the move. I don't think that is the case, but we will see.

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2020),cumberlandreds (02-19-2020),Frank Robinson (02-21-2020),HammerTime (02-19-2020),herbdizzle (02-19-2020),M2 (02-19-2020),MrRedSkull (02-19-2020),RedlegJake (02-20-2020),redsfanmia (02-19-2020),Ron Madden (02-19-2020),wlf WV (02-23-2020)

I’m a little worried about our guys getting on base. He’s not a terrible player, but I think he doesn’t fit perfect in our lineup. We need another guy that gets on base at a good rate so the power in our lineup can drive him in. Really wish we could have picked up Brock Holt. Right now we only have an aging Votto, potentially injury prone Winker, and a guy that’s never played in the MLB in Shogo. For us to be successful we will need those guys getting on base a lot IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's it. One, OK. Two, won't work. Too easy to pitch around an inning.
    I think it can work, especially until the deadline or somewhere around there. If we are in the race or leading I think we go out and get a SS.

I looked at the six division winners last year and looked at the top 12 for each team in total plate appearances. Four teams had two players with an OBP less than 300, one team had three players and one team had one player. We can live with Galvis (who is projected to have right around a 300 OBP). While we are going to be much better this year, we are still not a big-market club and can't have a stud (or pay for a stud) at every position. Everyone wanted Gregorius and he had an OBP last year of 276 and his career OBP is 313. You have a handful of shortstops that are head and shoulders above the others and the rest are all so-so.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

16. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-20-2020),cnwizz (02-19-2020),HammerTime (02-19-2020),Tom Servo (02-19-2020),wlf WV (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    I looked at the six division winners last year and looked at the top 12 for each team in total plate appearances. Four teams had two players with an OBP less than 300, one team had three players and one team had one player. We can live with Galvis (who is projected to have right around a 300 OBP). While we are going to be much better this year, we are still not a big-market club and can't have a stud (or pay for a stud) at every position. Everyone wanted Gregorius and he had an OBP last year of 276 and his career OBP is 313. You have a handful of shortstops that are head and shoulders above the others and the rest are all so-so.
    Great point with the Didi comparison. Both players the same age, and a lot of people were on board with offering him a substantial AAV deal in FA, yet his production hadn't been stellar, especially coming off injury. 1 year @ $5.5M for Galvis vs. 1 year @ $14M for Gregorius seems a better decision.

18. Likes:

MrRedSkull (02-19-2020),Powder River (02-19-2020),Tom Servo (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    2012 Reds had 2 playing near everyday. A guy who isn’t a 300 opb guy isn’t going to kill the lineup especially if he has some pop and plays solid d. Galvis does both. Sure, I’d welcome an improvement, but Galvis isnt dead weight.
    Lol, the 2012 Reds had 5 guys start 161 games.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-19-2020)

He has good hair.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

M2 (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I think Galvis is going to have a good year.
    Define.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I would love to have Galvis on the team as a bench guy. Bring great defense behind Moustakas at second base. Has a bit of pop in his bat. Can play several spots. He is the type of bench player winning teams have. As is Brock Holt who I wish we had added.

Turn Off Ads?