Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we respecting Galvis enough?

Re: Are we respecting Galvis enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Lol, the 2012 Reds had 5 guys start 161 games.
    Yeah. But the conversation was around OBP, not the starting pitching. But your point does give further evidence that more factors into winning than the obp of every starter being above 300

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think upgrading Galvis is the most urgent need at this point. Coming into the winter the line-up looked like Suarez and Winker and the rest could be stinkers. The Middle IF was looking like Peraza and Galvis with Barnhart behind the plate. Those seemed the most obvious spots to be upgraded. Since then, they've added Moustakas and Castellanos and the line-up as a whole has become much more formidable. Now with Suarez, Winker, Castellanos and Moose, they have four guys who I'm confident will put-up above average offensive numbers. Add four others who have a chance to be above average - Votto, Senzel, Aquino and Shogo, and there is much less urgency to upgrade at SS and Catcher. Galvis hasn't changed. He's still a guy who makes way too many outs, but the team has found the offense it needs by making other moves.

I'd focus on adding solid, high leverage innings to the bullpen at this point. Last season the starters were awesome, but some of that was because they, like everyone in baseball, took them out early and shifted the dangerous middle innings to the bullpen. The Reds asked the bullpen to pitch 554 innings last year, which isn't high compared to the rest of baseball, but its much higher than just a few years ago. It would take eight relievers each pitching 70 or so innings to cover 554 innings. The days of three guys and a bunch of filler are gone. I think the Reds have 7 strong candidates in Iggy, Garrett, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Strop, Reed and Sims, but only Lorenzen had a solid season last year. Garrett seemed to fall apart in the second half. Stephenson was good in a limited, lower leverage role and Strop and Iggy have been good in the past but stunk it up in 2019. Sims and Reed have promise, but nothing on the resume to convince anyone they should be thrown into the fire right out of the gate. Some of these guys will have good seasons, but I'd guess at least three won't and figuring out who early in the season with the game on the line could lead to a lot of losses that a team in the race should try to avoid. I think they need to go get a guy who they know will be one of the main guys in a close game and sort the others out in lower leverage spots. If I was going to trade something significant. that's what I'd be after, though I probably wouldn't deal Senzel for it.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-20-2020 at 05:49 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Chip R (02-20-2020)

Galvis is fine. He's a below average hitter with a good glove and some pop.

However, I'm always looking to upgrade "fine"

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-20-2020)

It would be nice to upgrade Galvis without much sacrifice but I believe the key to winning this year will be a somewhat unlikely pre 2018 year from Votto and Senzel finally living up to his immense promise.

My primary concern with SS is defense. Now that doesn't mean I want Jan Castro out there though. Galvis gives us that (though not as slick as Iglesias IMO). They've made some moves to boost the offense, and I want to see how Galvis does in a full season at GABP.

But I'm not gonna Do The Freddy just yet.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Freddy Galvis is a few days away from playing in spring training games because of shoulder soreness. David Bell said Galvis' shoulder was checked out and everything was OK. #Reds

Manager David Bell said the veteran infielder has been checked out and the shoulder checked out fine, so "he's just a few days behind" entering spring ball. Galvis has still been participating in batting practice and fielding drills, minus any long-distance throws. Kyle Farmer and Alex Blandino will see increased work at shortstop for the Reds, in the meantime.
    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...sore-shoulder/

If the guys batting ahead of Galvis get on base as much as I think they will, it plays to his strengths. He's what I think of when I envision a classic #7 hitter.

He's got a good glove and he could be Rich Aurillia esque at the plate. I'm totally fine with that.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

12. Likes:

goreds2 (02-24-2020),HammerTime (02-24-2020),Ron Madden (02-23-2020)

I don't have a problem with Galvis but I personally would have resigned Iglesias.

14. Likes:

GAC (02-24-2020),goreds2 (02-24-2020)

Freddy Galvis signs 2-year deal with Japan’s SoftBank Hawks

https://apnews.com/article/mlb-sport...0b36130f05a053
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?