Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto Excited For 2020 Season

Joey Votto Excited For 2020 Season

The 36-year-old Votto is picking the brain of the 31-year-old Moustakas. Votto wanted to hear about Moustakas’ postseason experiences. They chatted about what it was like when Moustakas won a World Series title in 2015 with the Kansas City Royals and their run to the World Series in 2014.

“He’s got lots of really fantastic things about it, how it’s changed the culture in Kansas City, how it’s changed the expectations,” Votto said. “There is no reason why that or more can’t happen here. We should be the team to look at. This is a step in the right direction, I think, this year.”

Entering the 2020 season, Votto says he's as excited as he’s been in his entire career. The Reds improved their lineup with Moustakas, Nick Castellanos and Shogo Akiyama. They strengthened their rotation with Wade Miley and their bullpen with Pedro Strop.

“Some years, you come in and you’re optimistic, and you make comments based on that optimism,” Votto said. “This year, it feels like, to a man, you can just be realistic. You can just speak a truth. You know that there’s no shine to it. It’s just sincerity.”

What gives Votto confidence that the Reds will be a better team?

“This is the best staff we’ve had in a while,” Votto said. “I think this is a superior staff to the ones we had – no disrespect to the Cuetos, Latoses and Arroyos, but it’s probably the best staff I’ve seen in my career.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ds/ar-BB10aOky
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-20-2020 at 01:41 AM.

2. Likes:

DocRed (02-20-2020),Edd Roush (02-20-2020),goreds2 (02-20-2020),mbgrayson (02-20-2020),NebraskaRed (02-20-2020),redsmetz (02-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto Excited For 2020 Season

Looking for the best, Ron. Really hoping he is a hitting force from the git go.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-20-2020)

After all the complaining year after year on this board about trades that did or didn't happen, lack of free agents, Castellini getting in the way, etc. the front office finally did the job we always dreamed they could do. They addressed everything. Offense, rotation, bullpen, even SS.

It's all up to the players now. Votto is surrounded with a playoff caliber lineup and a starting rotation that gives them a chance to win every night.
    He needs to find it and lead this offense like he did 2 years ago.

How dare he disrespect the good name of Mat Latos.

Really, this is still Votto's team. He is the leader. Even the new guys are going to take their cues from Votto. He needs to get off to a fast start, and the entire team will take off.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

goreds2 (02-20-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (02-22-2020),marcshoe (02-23-2020),Powder River (02-21-2020)

Comparing this staff favorably to the Cueto-led staffs of ‘12 and ‘13 is extremely high praise.

I hope he’s right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

11. Likes:

Chip R (02-20-2020),Old school 1983 (02-20-2020),REDREAD (03-05-2020),Spider Tre (02-25-2020)

This rotation has the talent, but until I see the results I can't say they're better than the 2012 staff that had 4 guys pitch 200+ innings with sub 3.75 ERA's.

13. Likes:

Crumbley (02-21-2020),KYExtemper (02-23-2020),REDREAD (03-05-2020)

By all means Joey, go ahead and disrespect Latos. We're cool with it.

15. Likes:

The Operator (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    This rotation has the talent, but until I see the results I can't say they're better than the 2012 staff that had 4 guys pitch 200+ innings with sub 3.75 ERA's.
    Plus the 2012 version of Chapman.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I love the fact that these guys are sincere in their optimism
    Cincinnati teammates, including Joey Votto, hungry to play in the World Series wanted Moustakas’ take on the experience.

“Joey’s asked me about things that I’ve been through. It’s pretty cool when a guy like that, an MVP, asks you questions,” Moustakas said. “You play 162 games to get to the World Series but all that matters is winning that World Series trophy and bringing it back to Cincinnati. I’m learning from him every single day. This guy is one of the best hitters in baseball. “

“When I signed, I knew this is where I wanted to be,” Moustakas said. “I knew what they had here in place. I wanted to be a part of what they were building. I thought if they are done, this is a pretty good team. Then you add Shogo (Akiyama), Nick (Castellanos). Now we’re a legit contender. If we keep our head down and keep grinding, we will be right where we need to be in September.”
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...F4JwCWYammTtN/

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-21-2020),Frank Robinson (02-21-2020),ochoa30 (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I love the fact that these guys are sincere in their optimism

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...F4JwCWYammTtN/
    It is gonna be a fun season.

20. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-22-2020),ochoa30 (02-21-2020),Ron Madden (02-21-2020)

“I chose to come here because I know this team has a real good chance to win,” Castellanos said.

Like the Reds’ front office, Castellanos is all in.

“We’re here to win,” he said. “Everybody here is on that same page. We expect to win this year. Anything short of that will be a failure.”
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...2VjZgCS6fidEL/

Player X is excited about the upcoming season as opposed to player Y who says he's never felt more rotten about getting paid millions upon millions to play a kids game.
    Somehow i just don't think we'll ever hear any player making millions come out and tell us how much they hate getting paid so much to do so little.
    If there's contradictory evidence I haven't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    Player X is excited about the upcoming season as opposed to player Y who says he's never felt more rotten about getting paid millions upon millions to play a kids game.
    Somehow i just don't think we'll ever hear any player making millions come out and tell us how much they hate getting paid so much to do so little.
    If there's contradictory evidence I haven't seen it yet.
    C'mon, man. Have a little fun. Don't ruin it for yourself with all the "Muh Money" stuff. Life is very short.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

24. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-24-2020),Ron Madden (02-23-2020)

“They said they were going to go out and spend this offseason and they did,” said Anthony DeSclafani, who has been with the club since 2015. “I was here during the tear-down, played a lot of losing baseball. It brings a lot of excitement.”

The Reds signed Mike Moustakas and Nick Castellanos to $64 million deals, gave Shogo Akiyama $21 million and inked Wade Miley for $15 million. Joey Votto said he was “shocked” and “pleasantly surprised” as he watched his team’s offseason activity.

The Reds made some impactful moves last winter, too, trading for Sonny Gray, Yasiel Puig, Alex Wood, Matt Kemp and Tanner Roark prior to the season, then acquiring Trevor Bauer before the Trade Deadline. Those moves didn’t translate into a winning season, but they did serve as a signal that the Reds were looking at the present and not just the future.

“Last offseason, a lot of what we did allowed us to be able to do that this offseason,” assistant GM Sam Grossman said. “We didn’t know how the winter was going to go, but we identified some players. We wanted to bring in impact bats and impact talent, but more importantly, people that had come from winning environments that we knew were great teammates and were going to be a part of the culture we’re trying to build.

The NL Central will surely be a competitive division in 2020, but the Reds -- who lost at least 94 games in each season from 2015-18 -- believe they will be in the mix.

“We’ve come in here with an expectation that anything short of a World Series is not going to cut it,” DeSclafani said. “That’s the vibe we’re getting around here and that’s what we need. It’s kind of refreshing and it’s going to make coming to the ballpark every day a lot more fun.”
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-new-mi...oing-into-2020

26. Likes:

goreds2 (02-27-2020),North (03-04-2020),Rdirtypirates (03-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?