Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
I think the 17 game schedule is a bigger issue than the chunk of the pie to the players. Since I wrote that, several big name players have come out against it. Looks like it will be a close vote. Should be interesting
There will be a 17th game. Honestly I think it makes sense to scrap a game in the pre-season and add one in the regular season. It also brings in more revenue for both the players and the owners. The players may not like it, but they aren't really going to turn down the money it brings.

The ironic thing for this contract is the people with the most power, will be long gone from the league by the time this contract ends. Heck, even your rookies will be lucky to be playing when there is another contract negotiation. I have problem with the players trying to maximize their pay, I do think they are awfully short sighted when the negotiate and fail took past their playing careers. Stuff like bigger pensions and better health care for retired players is a far better investment than getting a bigger game check when you are 25.

One things that strikes me with this whole negotiation is whether or not this will be the last big contract ever negotiated in football. Both with the CBA and networks, will the game look like in 10 years when the next contract comes up for negotiation?