Re: The 2020 NFL Season

Former QB Ryan Leaf arrested on domestic battery charge

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...battery-charge

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Former QB Ryan Leaf arrested on domestic battery charge

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...battery-charge
    I will wait for the story to play out, but if true it kind of angers me. A ton of people have gave this guy a second chance to make a good living directly and indirectly related to football. He was very solid in his role analyzing and probably was a role model of many people looking to bounce back from mistakes....and many of them that made less mistake will not get the type of 2nd, 3rd and more chances Leaf has been given. Everyone is capable of screwing up....even getting an ugly charge, but he has to know his leash is much shorter with the public.

Some big names remain unsigned late in NFL's odd offseason

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt..._headlines_hed

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    At 4th and 15, I think teams try that fairly often. That's pretty obtainable I think.
    A little late catching up on this thread, but... I looked up a couple of studies that tracked conversions by distance in the NFL. 4th and 15 was a tick under 20%. Better odds than an onside kick to be sure, but still sufficiently long that I wouldn't expect coaches to choose the option unless they felt they must.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    A little late catching up on this thread, but... I looked up a couple of studies that tracked conversions by distance in the NFL. 4th and 15 was a tick under 20%. Better odds than an onside kick to be sure, but still sufficiently long that I wouldn't expect coaches to choose the option unless they felt they must.
    I agree....even the most "modern" or "radical" NFL coaches are still very conservative in their overall approach to the game when it comes to things like field position or putting their defense in a poor position.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    At 4th and 15, I think teams try that fairly often. That's pretty obtainable I think.
    I wonder how that would work if the defense committed a penalty. Obviously offsides would be 5 yards but would any other penalties that are automatic first downs be the same in this situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder how that would work if the defense committed a penalty. Obviously offsides would be 5 yards but would any other penalties that are automatic first downs be the same in this situation?
    You would almost have to - otherwise why not commit blatant pass interference or (gulp) personal fouls to do anything to prevent the 15 yards being gained.

Which really is ok. On any other 4th down the offense can get a first down via defensive penalty.

10. Likes:

Chip R (05-28-2020),Spanky (05-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You would almost have to - otherwise why not commit blatant pass interference or (gulp) personal fouls to do anything to prevent the 15 yards being gained.

Which really is ok. On any other 4th down the offense can get a first down via defensive penalty.
    I agree....similar to before halftime or end of the 4th quarter when less than 10 seconds are on the clock and a team is inside your 10sih yard line....often DB's are coached to grab, pull, trip, kick, etc....anything to ensure they do not complete a pass for a score. The downs mean little when the clock is a backstop....worse case scenario is they move a few yards closer (half the distance) and have to try again. I do assume more very close calls may not get called in the 4th and 15 situation....just seems like human nature.

Some Texans and Cowboys have tested positive.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports...s-reports-say/

Cam Newton to the Pats on a 1 year deal.....very interesting.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ts-sources-say
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Wonder who gets starter's reps between him and Stidham? One year prove-it deal. But if he proves it, Pats have no leverage. Probably means they won't get one of top QB's in draft.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Wonder who gets starter's reps between him and Stidham? One year prove-it deal. But if he proves it, Pats have no leverage. Probably means they won't get one of top QB's in draft.
    Cam will be the starter, until he pisses off Billacek. So I'm guessing Stidham will take over in game 2.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Cam Newton to the Pats on a 1 year deal.....very interesting.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ts-sources-say
    Most overrated player in the last 20 years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

ScotlandRed (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Most overrated player in the last 20 years.
    But also one of the most irrationally reviled players of the last 20 years.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

19. Likes:

Chip R (06-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    not sure....it would seem in the best interest of the Patriots to roll with Stidham, but I doubt Cam signs there unless he is assured he has a real chance to start.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?