Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NFL Season

Re: The 2020 NFL Season

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

In coordinated Twitter postings Sunday afternoon, a host of NFL players criticized the league's coronavirus plan. More specifically, the league's lack of a plan. "If the NFL doesn’t do their part to keep players healthy there is no football in 2020," were the words of Drew Brees, amongst many others. Players from J.J. Watt to Russell Wilson took part in the effort. In Watt's post, he said players still do not know how a positive COVID-19 test will be handled, or how the league might handle opt-outs. The league is still trying to claim players will report as usual this week, but the number of unresolved critical issues is massive.

SOURCE: J.J. Watt on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league's latest proposal to the NFLPA includes one preseason game. Don't confuse the league's wilting proposal from two preseason games to one as "progress". The players still want the preseason replaced altogether with a longer acclimation period in order to fully prepare for the regular season and aren't likely to agree to anything less. The proposed preseason game would also take place on August 27, which would deter from the NFLPA's request for a full 21 days for strength and conditioning. The Chiefs and Texans are expected to report on Monday amid negotiations.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The NFL accepted the NFLPA's demand of zero preseason games ahead of the 2020 season. This is a gigantic step towards having the season start on time. The NFL has slowly inched towards the NFLPA's side of this argument, initially requesting two preseason games, then down to one and now agreeing to none. This will allow for a longer acclimation and strength and conditioning period for players once arriving at team facilities, as teams can now take their time to practice rather than prepare for games. Still, you have to feel for fringe NFL talents who simply won't have the opportunity to put their game on tape for other teams to see in the hopes of maximizing their opportunities. Think of names like Victor Cruz, or even recently Raheem Mostert, as players who have greatly benefited from preseason action.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Insane that Alex Smith has been cleared for football activity and contact. I don't know if he'll ever play another down, but if he does that's the craziest injury comeback ever. In any sport, at least that I know of.

6. Likes:

Chip R (07-30-2020),Revering4Blue (07-30-2020)

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

In a conversation on the Buccaneers' plans for handling the coronavirus, coach Bruce Arians stated "the players, they’re going to all get sick, that’s for sure.” “It’s just a matter of how sick they get,” Arians continued. "We’ve got to be careful." This season will be unlike any other. Positive cases will be confirmed, and it appears the NFL will attempt to power through them with a multi-week quarantine for impacted players and staff members - and a larger practice squad to pick replacements from. Arians is a three-time cancer survivor and took measures to aid his health even before this offseason, including riding a golf cart during practice and handing play calling responsibilities to Byron Leftwich. Arians, at 67 years old, is at higher risk than other coaches around the league. As is safeties coach Nick Rapone (64) and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen (64). “It’s the team that adapts and has the most discipline, they’re going to win,” Arians concluded. This level of honesty is appreciated, but also chilling.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Bills' rookies all sent home after five confirmed cases.

Many other players confirmed.

Why does Goodell remind me of a ringleader of a circus? "Folks look over here! Now look over here! Don't look there! Look over here!"

Veteran RB LeSean McCoy reaches deal with Bucs

not 100% sure he is on the 53 man roster....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Darqueze Dennard is now a dirty bird: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-falls-through

Dennard was one of the Bengals' most effective defensive backs in 2019, leading the team in catch rate allowed below expectation at 16.3%, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. Overall, he allowed just 16 completions on 36 targets last season.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

DeShaun Watson will get close to $40mm per year with his new extension.

Good for Watson as he deserves it. But as QB salaries skyrocket, I wonder if there is a point where the union thinks about agreeing to max salaries for individual players. With a salary cap, there is obviously a fixed number that teams can spend. It doesn't seems very uniony to have one member take up so much of the pool that is collectively bargained.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I hate cut day! Less this season, but you get all these stories out of camp about long shot guys showing out....undrafted rookies turning heads....guys that may break out...then bam, you realize 53 spots on a football team is just not a lot. One by one, many of those names begin to show up on the cut list
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    DeShaun Watson will get close to $40mm per year with his new extension.

Good for Watson as he deserves it. But as QB salaries skyrocket, I wonder if there is a point where the union thinks about agreeing to max salaries for individual players. With a salary cap, there is obviously a fixed number that teams can spend. It doesn't seems very uniony to have one member take up so much of the pool that is collectively bargained.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    The rank and file are crazy to not do this. If they capped any one player from making more than 20 million, in this case that's 19 million to spread among 52 players. Or an extra $363K per player. The bottom of the roster is making about $600K. So a 50% pay increase.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The rank and file are crazy to not do this. If they capped any one player from making more than 20 million, in this case that's 19 million to spread among 52 players. Or an extra $363K per player. The bottom of the roster is making about $600K. So a 50% pay increase.
    I find the problem with max salaries within a salary cap is teams usually will just go to the extremes, and there is not a ton of "middle class" guys. Look at the NBA, each year it gets closer to guys making the max or minimum on rosters....and in the NBA it has resulted in far too many guys making max or near max money. That arbitrary number just has a way of causing anyone that is above average demanding it, and teams far to comfortable giving it....leaving more guys on minimum or near minimum salaries. I would think the harder cap of the NFL could even be more problematic.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Josh Rosen went unclaimed. He'll now be able to choose a team from (hopefully) competing active or practice squads. He needs to chose carefully. If this next one fails he may be out of the league. I would think Jags might offer him a Practice Squad spot. (But have heard no rumors)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Mike Garafolo
    @MikeGarafolo

The #Buccaneers are signing QB Josh Rosen to their practice squad, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. Rosen talked to teams that had openings on their active roster but with guaranteed $$ in his pocket already, went with the best fit in Tampa.

1:40 PM · Sep 6, 2020
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?