Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NFL Season

Re: The 2020 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the 17 game schedule is a bigger issue than the chunk of the pie to the players. Since I wrote that, several big name players have come out against it. Looks like it will be a close vote. Should be interesting
    There will be a 17th game. Honestly I think it makes sense to scrap a game in the pre-season and add one in the regular season. It also brings in more revenue for both the players and the owners. The players may not like it, but they aren't really going to turn down the money it brings.

The ironic thing for this contract is the people with the most power, will be long gone from the league by the time this contract ends. Heck, even your rookies will be lucky to be playing when there is another contract negotiation. I have problem with the players trying to maximize their pay, I do think they are awfully short sighted when the negotiate and fail took past their playing careers. Stuff like bigger pensions and better health care for retired players is a far better investment than getting a bigger game check when you are 25.

One things that strikes me with this whole negotiation is whether or not this will be the last big contract ever negotiated in football. Both with the CBA and networks, will the game look like in 10 years when the next contract comes up for negotiation?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It would be nice but they usually don't do byes that late in the season, do they?
    Byes are still in effect then.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-28-2020)

Nice gig, eh?

Tony Romo to earn approximately $17 million per year in new deal with CBS, per reports

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ys/4909621002/

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Nice gig, eh?

Tony Romo to earn approximately $17 million per year in new deal with CBS, per reports

Awesome!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Nice gig, eh?

I think he's a better fit on CBS than he would be on ESPN. I think I heard that this will be more than he ever made per year when he was playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think he's a better fit on CBS than he would be on ESPN. I think I heard that this will be more than he ever made per year when he was playing.
    He averaged 9 mil per year throughout his playing career.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

9. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Curran: Tom Brady to Patriots or Titans, “with the 49ers closing hard on the outside”

Radio, Curran was asked to predict Brady’s destination for 2020.

“It’s either gonna be New England or Tennessee,” Curran said, “with the 49ers closing hard on the outside.”

Yes, the 49ers chatter is real, Curran said. And it’s a mutual thing, with Brady interested in the 49ers, and the 49ers interested in Brady. And then the 49ers could simply trade Jimmy Garoppolo back to the Patriots.

“That would be the best-case scenario all the way around,” Curran said.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Brady signing with the 49ers, then Jimmy G being traded back to the Patriots would be pretty funny.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

12. Likes:

Chip R (03-05-2020),North (03-04-2020)

ESPN is trying to get Al Michaels from NBC to do Monday Night Football and bring Peyton Manning in to do color with him.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/espn-p...eyton-manning/
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

ESPN is trying to get Al Michaels from NBC to do Monday Night Football and bring Peyton Manning in to do color with him.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/espn-p...eyton-manning/
    Gives me one more reason not to watch MNF then! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

North (03-06-2020)

With what Romo got from CBS and what ESPN is willing to give Peyton and/or Al Michaels, the cost of announcers is going up. I have no idea what these guys make normally but someone like Collinsworth and Aikman see that Romo and Manning are going to get paid, they are probably going to want a significant raise too.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Up to this point word is Peyton does not want a commentary job 'cause he doesn't like criticizing "his friends" in the game. As for Michaels, I doubt he wants to leave his buddy Cris Collinsworth at this point in his career. Sounds like a longshot to me

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-06-2020)

Rivers being pursued by ESPN? He has like no personality. Seriously?

I was wrong
    Chip is right

His book

"You Can't Make This Up: Miracles, Memories, and the Perfect Marriage of Sports and Television "

is a good read.

Turn Off Ads?