Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NFL Season

Re: The 2020 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Tampa's line definitely needs to improve, but I will also say some in the media (not you) have spoke incorrectly about TB's offensive line. They were mediocre last season. Some of that gets lost in the sack numbers and lack of running game, but neither were 100% on the line. The offense had the most 7 step drops last year in the NFL, and when you combine that with Winston's desire to hold onto the ball too long and reluctance of chucking it out of bounds, the sack numbers skyrocket. Also, Peyton Barber is a mediocre backup RB, and I can't explain why RoJo took almost 2 seasons to figure out in the NFL sometimes you have to hit the hole hard and fast, while other times you have to time your runs to find daylight....again, not sure if he just was uneasy with the smaller holes to run through or what, but he sucked the first 1.75 years of his career. The point is Tampa Bay did not have a RB to consistently produce with an average offensive line. I kind if find the real problem upgrading the offensive line is there really is not clear weak link....they are all just mostly mediocre.
    Brady has traditionally had an Offensive Line of late-round picks and undrafted free agents as they only had to hold their block for a split second with Brady's quick-release. The cerebral nature of Brady instantly upgrades Tampa's Line to at least average in the NFL.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Brady has traditionally had an Offensive Line of late-round picks and undrafted free agents as they only had to hold their block for a split second with Brady's quick-release. The cerebral nature of Brady instantly upgrades Tampa's Line to at least average in the NFL.
    The issue here, of course, is that the offense as it is designed in Tampa, doesn't use as many three- or even five-step drops as other NFL offenses.

Tampa used the most seven-step dropbacks of any team in the game. He's done that for his entire career.

His "No risk it, no biscuit" philosophy will mean Brady gets hit and sacked many more times than he was in New England.

That said, Brady still has the arm strength to deliver the throws Arians expects out of his QBs.

This article from The Athletic is exceptional in its analysis of how the marriage of systems is likely to play out.

In short, expect the Bucs to add to the offensive line (specifically at tackle) and draft/ sign safety valve RBs with hands.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The issue here, of course, is that the offense as it is designed in Tampa, doesn't use as many three- or even five-step drops as other NFL offenses.

Tampa used the most seven-step dropbacks of any team in the game. He's done that for his entire career.

His "No risk it, no biscuit" philosophy will mean Brady gets hit and sacked many more times than he was in New England.

That said, Brady still has the arm strength to deliver the throws Arians expects out of his QBs.

This article from The Athletic is exceptional in its analysis of how the marriage of systems is likely to play out.

In short, expect the Bucs to add to the offensive line (specifically at tackle) and draft/ sign safety valve RBs with hands.
    Truly the design needs a wholesale change, though I disagree they will discover anyone in the draft who can help Brady as a pass-catcher underneath without causing more problems than he creates. That player needs to be a Veteran.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-24-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said club facilities will be closed from March 26 to at least April 8.

Not only is this a safety precaution for the NFL's employees, but it's also one way the league can keep an even playing field going into the 2020 NFL Draft. Some teams were already staying at home during the coronavirus pandemic, which created some competitive advantages for teams still meeting daily. The NFL Draft remains scheduled for April 23-25, but Pro Days and Top-30 visits have been slashed. Expect fewer non-Combine invited players to be drafted next month.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Truly the design needs a wholesale change, though I disagree they will discover anyone in the draft who can help Brady as a pass-catcher underneath without causing more problems than he creates. That player needs to be a Veteran.
    I am sure there will be tweaks, but I would be surprised at anything that resembles "wholesale changes". I have seen claims without credible sources suggesting that one thing that attracted Brady was the weapons and offense that would allow him to be more aggressive going downfield. It appears that the Bucs will be adding another back via the draft...or at least the tea leaves point in that direction. I can see them using their 2nd Round pick on guy like Swift or Edwards-Helaire if either are still on the board. Do not get me wrong, I think Arians/Leftwich will use the TE's more than an Arians offense ever has in the past....likewise, I also think they will "try" to incorporate their RB's into the passing game more...yet at the end of the day, this offense will use Evans and Godwin to go downfield.

I am sure there will be tweaks, but I would be surprised at anything that resembles "wholesale changes". I have seen claims without credible sources suggesting that one thing that attracted Brady was the weapons and offense that would allow him to be more aggressive going downfield. It appears that the Bucs will be adding another back via the draft...or at least the tea leaves point in that direction. I can see them using their 2nd Round pick on guy like Swift or Edwards-Helaire if either are still on the board. Do not get me wrong, I think Arians/Leftwich will use the TE's more than an Arians offense ever has in the past....likewise, I also think they will "try" to incorporate their RB's into the passing game more...yet at the end of the day, this offense will use Evans and Godwin to go downfield.
    Good thing about the quarantine is that there will be more time for them to discuss it, but less time to practice it, so that prevents it from being a wholesale change the first season, but by the 2021 season it could be unrecognizable compared to 2019.

- - - Updated - - -

Can Ron Jones throw a pass?

Suh, Barrett, Pierre-Paul...put a formidable D-Line together in Tampa.

11. Likes:

adkindo (03-26-2020)

Suh, Barrett, Pierre-Paul...put a formidable D-Line together in Tampa.
    Don't forget about Vita Vea and Gholston up front with Suh....then Barrett and JPP on the outside....with Devin White (NFC Rookie of Month in November and December) and Lavonte David @ inside linebackers! Their defense got overlooked last year, but their rushing defense was the best in the NFL last season. Also, the secondary, especially at the CB position appeared to grow up in the second half of the season.

This Bucs team is a legit Superbowl contender if they can get solid play from the Offensive Line and Secondary.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-26-2020)

Don't forget about Vita Vea and Gholston up front with Suh....then Barrett and JPP on the outside....with Devin White (NFC Rookie of Month in November and December) and Lavonte David @ inside linebackers! Their defense got overlooked last year, but their rushing defense was the best in the NFL last season. Also, the secondary, especially at the CB position appeared to grow up in the second half of the season.

This Bucs team is a legit Superbowl contender if they can get solid play from the Offensive Line and Secondary.
    Clearly, the most dominant D-Line in the NFL. First time in Brady's career that he has a formidable opponent (Brees and Payton) in his own Division. Could probably use the challenge.

What are the NE Patriots doing? Are they tanking? It sure seems like it but it's hard to imagine a Belichick coached team tanking. It's also awfully hard to tank in that division as the Dolphins showed last yr

Drew Brees pledges $5 million to Louisiana coronavirus charity efforts
    Today 10:54 AM

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/03/dr...y-efforts.html

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-26-2020),RedsBaron (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

"Brittany and I are committing $5,000,000 to the State of Louisiana in 2020. The priority now is helping our communities get through this tough time. After considerable research and conversations with local organizations, we will be mobilizing our partnerships with Second Harvest Food Bank, Ochsner Health Systems, Walk-Ons, Jimmy Johns, Smalls Sliders and Waitr to prepare and deliver over 10,000 meals per day throughout Louisiana for as long as it takes to children on meal programs, seniors, and families in need. Let’s all do our part, maintain hope, and get through this together."

SOURCE: Drew Brees on Twitter

19. Likes:

texasdave (03-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What are the NE Patriots doing? Are they tanking? It sure seems like it but it's hard to imagine a Belichick coached team tanking. It's also awfully hard to tank in that division as the Dolphins showed last yr
    My money is on Belichick will enter the season expecting to be playing in January....maybe even the Superbowl. I doubt that will happen, but I would be surprised if he did not believe that should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

Never heard a bad word spoken about the man.....from national reporters to no name small media beat writers to fans that had an opportunity to meet him. I do not like the Saints, and by extension Brees the QB....but it is hard not to respect the guy.

Turn Off Ads?