Turn Off Ads?

Thread: VPN Questions

VPN Questions

They seem to becoming quite popular. I've been doing my research on them the last six months or so - understanding them better, how they work, good, bad, the ugly. It's mainly from a security, and privacy, perspective that I'm looking at it. It's just not hackers and bad guys trying to get access to your sensitive material .. but that your service provider maintains records, and has access to, everywhere you go and what you're doing. Yes, they are required by law to protect them. But we've seen how that works sometimes huh?

I've got AVG, so I'm doing a 30 day free trial of their VPN (which is about to end). Pretty easy to set up and understand. It says it's working, shows my location(s), fully protected, so I'll take their word on that (lol). The only difference I have noticed with performance is that at times, when I click on a link, try to open a site, the computer (browser) to me appears "lost" (searching?) - maybe because the host site can't immediately identify me (ISP)? -Sometimes I get the "cannot find page", but I refresh the page and the page opens up every time. Just a small irritant.

If anyone uses a VPN, what do you use, recommend? I appreciate the input.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: VPN Questions

I use a VPN sometimes called TunnelBear. I pay $50 a year for it. I use it mostly for trying to watch shows I like from other countries. It has only been moderately successful at that. But there's nothing preventing me from using them all the time. The interface is good and I've always had good customer service.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I used to use NordVPN which was fantastic, tho somewhat pricey unless you buy a longterm plan. But the speeds and reliability were great. Been using Mullvad lately which is 5 bucks/month and quite good, just not as good as Nord. The main drawback against Mullvad is that there's no mobile app. Most of the big ones like ExpressVPN, NordVPN and others all have mobile apps.
    Last edited by Stray; 02-22-2020 at 11:23 PM.

5. Likes:

GAC (02-23-2020),North (02-23-2020)

There are so many out there right now it's ridiculous. But the one thing I am concerned about is speed and reliability, and they all aren't created equally. NordVPN comes highly recommended.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I use Nord, signed up for the 3 year plan and have never had any trouble with it.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

GAC (02-24-2020)

When I Googled Nord, this is what I came up with....

They may be fantastic, but this is kind of ironic

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/no...it-was-hacked/
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I use Nord, signed up for the 3 year plan and have never had any trouble with it.
    Same here...$2.99/month for 3 years, paid upfront ($107.64). Good for up to 5 devices running simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    When I Googled Nord, this is what I came up with....

They may be fantastic, but this is kind of ironic

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/no...it-was-hacked/

The more layers of security added are just another "door" to crack (a challenge) in the minds of the hackers. You just just try to stay one step ahead anymore it seems. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Same here...$2.99/month for 3 years, paid upfront ($107.64). Good for up to 5 devices running simultaneously.
    I just purchased it (upfront). 70% off 3 year plan. I also got a free gift sent to my email (free month added on at end). I got 30 days to give it a try, and if I don't like it I get a refund. But most who have it say they like it far better then some of the others. And primarily because of reliability and speed.

Right now, through one of my apps on Fire Stick (CyberFlix), I'm investigating Real-Debrid, which is an add-on subscription service ($4/month). It's an unrestricted downloading service, far superior, better quality links - it's like a premium service - that greatly alleviates/eliminates buffering. Everyone that I've talked to that has it swears by it.

But it's highly recommended it's used with a VPN.

Turn Off Ads?