Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Outer Space

Outer Space

I welcome all space talk in this thread be it UFOs, trips to moon, Mars or other exploration in our solar system or elsewhere.

I'll start with Mars. Here's an article that talks about settling Mars:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...le-red-planet/

I don't get the desire to colonize Mars due to one thing. Let's see if any of you can help me with this 'cause I haven't seen anything written about it.

We can do a lot with Mars given technology and a lot of money but here's my issue: The problem with life on Mars is that it lost its magnetic field. Without that sustaining life or developing an atmosphere is pretty much impossible. How do we replenish its magnetic field?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Outer Space

Here's what someone on Quora said about the mag field issue

"Now if the question was is there an intent to build a magnetic field on Mars, I *think* the answer is no. The Martian atmosphere isn’t breathable and its probably never going to be breathable. People will live in airtight biospheres, with their own atmosphere, and vegetables/plants will balance with people/other animals to convert CO2+H2O back into O2+nutrients for people to survive. As such, those biospheres will have to perform the main function of a magnetic field on earth, which is to filter out the worst of cosmic rays and sun’s UV/x-ray radiation. "

I've always assumed people would live in Biosphere's so ....... to me this is a non-issue.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-22-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

"Now if the question was is there an intent to build a magnetic field on Mars, I *think* the answer is no. The Martian atmosphere isn’t breathable and its probably never going to be breathable. People will live in airtight biospheres, with their own atmosphere, and vegetables/plants will balance with people/other animals to convert CO2+H2O back into O2+nutrients for people to survive. As such, those biospheres will have to perform the main function of a magnetic field on earth, which is to filter out the worst of cosmic rays and sun’s UV/x-ray radiation. "

I've always assumed people would live in Biosphere's so ....... to me this is a non-issue.
    If they're living in a bubble then what's the point? They might as well colonize Antarctica.

But there are exciting things happening in space and SpaceX is front and center at many of them. First it's crazy how much they've lowered the cost of launching satellites by re-using boosters after landing them back on earth, and now they are starting to catch the fairings.

The US is going to start launching their own astronauts up to ISS instead of paying the Russians 86 million per seat. SpaceX is going to charge $55 million and the other provider Boeing is going to charge 90 Million. It looked like Boeing was going to win the race, but their last test launch screwed the pooch and unveiled a lot of software problems so now it looks as though SpaceX will go first probably in late spring.

The other big thing is that SpaceX is going to start a world-wide internet service called Starlink. They've already put up about 240 satellites for this and are making 2 launches a month with 60 satellites each. Most people think they'll start initial service in the northern US in about 6 months.

But there are exciting things happening in space and SpaceX is front and center at many of them. First it's crazy how much they've lowered the cost of launching satellites by re-using boosters after landing them back on earth, and now they are starting to catch the fairings.

The US is going to start launching their own astronauts up to ISS instead of paying the Russians 86 million per seat. SpaceX is going to charge $55 million and the other provider Boeing is going to charge 90 Million. It looked like Boeing was going to win the race, but their last test launch screwed the pooch and unveiled a lot of software problems so now it looks as though SpaceX will go first probably in late spring.

The other big thing is that SpaceX is going to start a world-wide internet service called Starlink. They've already put up about 240 satellites for this and are making 2 launches a month with 60 satellites each. Most people think they'll start initial service in the northern US in about 6 months.
    I wish them luck with those endeavors. But I'm not excited about a Mars colonization thing

Couldn't they use reactor rods to subliminate the turbinium glacier underneath the surface?

8. Likes:

WrongVerb (02-22-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Good topic. Space is really really weird, and there are all sorts of mysteries still to figure out. Like this one...

Betelgeuse mystery solved? New deep-space image stirs up fresh theories behind dimming star

One of the biggest and brightest stars in the night sky has left astronomers puzzled after it has faded dramatically over the last year. Some have speculated that this is a sign of an impending supernova explosion, but new observations are pointing toward two new theories.

Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star located around 700 light years away from Earth that can be found glowing orange in the well-known constellation of Orion. It is so massive that if it were placed in the center of our solar system, its surface would extend all the way to Jupiter.

Over the past several months, Betelgeuse has dimmed significantly causing a bit of a stir in the astronomical community. Stargazers stepping outside to look for Betelgeuse will find a star that is just 36% as bright as it was just a year ago, according to the European Southern Observatory (ESO).
    While death by supernova is certainly a possibility for the short-term fate of Betelgeuse, it seems unlikely. "Like all red supergiants, Betelgeuse will one day go supernova, but astronomers don't think this is happening now," the ESO said.

A team of scientists led by Miguel Montargès, an astronomer at KU Leuven in Belgium, has been observing Betelgeuse since December using the Very Large Telescope in Cerro Paranal, Chile, one of the few facilities on Earth capable of taking detailed images of the surface of Betelgeuse.

Through these detailed observations, they have formulated two new possibilities to describe Betelgeuse's dimming: Either a large cloud of dust was ejected toward the Earth, obscuring our view of the star; or there is a large area of cooling on the star's surface due to ‘exceptional stellar activity.'
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

KittyDuran (02-23-2020),Sea Ray (02-22-2020)

I assume we will colonize the moon first, and also in BioDomes.

Absent some sort of singularity I don't think we'll ever colonize space in any significant numbers. I don't really understand the appeal to begin with. If living under the ocean or in Antarctica (for years in both cases, if not life) doesn't sound appealing then why would Mars or the moon?

Is anyone realistically working on a space elevator?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-25-2020),North (02-23-2020),Sea Ray (02-23-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

With everything that it would take and require to get Mars livable for humans, we could just do it on Earth, and do it easier. Unless we somehow know that there's a catastrophic moon-sized meteor making a direct hit and we have ten thousand years of advanced notice, but also don't believe we can do anything to stop impact, it's a tough sell to me to go and get Mars ready for human life when we've got Earth sitting here.

Also, aliens are real.

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Also, aliens are real.
    I agree and this is where it really gets interesting. The only thing we're lacking in moving your statement from myth to reality is our gov't admitting it and telling us what they know. I've gotten to the point where they're doing a disservice to science by continuing to hold this info back. NASA is spending 100s of millions of dollars to prove what our gov't already knows: that life exists outside of our planet.

Let's skip ahead to the next question: is gov't right to keep this secret? Would panic set in as this would disrupt some citizens sense of security and religion? I honestly don't know the answer to that but I think I'd slowly and selectively release alien information were I in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With everything that it would take and require to get Mars livable for humans, we could just do it on Earth, and do it easier. Unless we somehow know that there's a catastrophic moon-sized meteor making a direct hit and we have ten thousand years of advanced notice, but also don't believe we can do anything to stop impact, it's a tough sell to me to go and get Mars ready for human life when we've got Earth sitting here.

Also, aliens are real.
    And that's why Elon Musk is trying to colonize Mars. To create a second outpost for humans in case Earth has an extinction level event. I would bet he achieves it. SpaceX was formed for just that purpose. I heard he eventually wants a million folks there.

For a simple explanation of complex ideas that govern outer space, inner space, and our reality in general, I suggest bingeing on Arvin Ash's YouTube channel.

I recommend starting with his explanation of the nature of reality, although with the direction this discussion seems to be taking, perhaps this group of his videos concerning UFOs and aliens would be better.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

As an aside, we would do well to remember that the term "UFO" only means "an object, which appears to be flying, but has yet to be identified" and is not, especially in government vernacular, synonymous with "extraterrestrial alien spacecraft."

It's because of folks like Arvin Ash that the gov't needs to come clean. Boy is he in for a shock...

Turn Off Ads?