Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Outer Space

Re: Outer Space

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Probably the same as it says about the President using a cell phone, watching television or driving a car.
    Yup. Rights covered by a penumbra of some sort. So you'd have to ask the Supremes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Can't read the link...what other bases are in the running?
    Excellent question. This as close as the article came to answering it:

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine is urging federal officials to locate U.S. Space Command headquarters at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the surrounding Dayton area.

DeWine sent a letter to the assistant secretary of the Air Force on Tuesday, endorsing a nomination submitted by Beavercreek Mayor Bob Stone. Area county commissioners and mayors have signed on in support of the nomination.

The U.S. Space Command headquarters are temporarily located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The Air Force and Department of Defense began accepting nominations for a permanent site in May; a selection announcement is expected in early 2021.

To qualify to host command headquarters, communities must be based within the 150 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S., located within 25 miles of a current military base and have an AARP livability score of at least 50.

States have until the end of the month to submit nominations. Nominations will be judged on the available workforce, infrastructure, community support and cost.

U.S. Space Command is the combat arm of the U.S. Space Force, which is headquartered in the Pentagon with other services. President Donald Trump announced the creation of the Space Force, the country's sixth armed service, in 2018.
    It would mean 1400 jobs

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-24-2020)

Speaking of outer space and Donald.....

I wonder what the Constitution says about a President taking a space flight?
    I doubt a document written 240 yrs ago says anything about space flight. It's probably not something that's been addressed

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

It would mean 1400 jobs
    WPAFB is an interesting place to work. There is a lot of talent there. Back in the day, I wrote computer simulations. Ejection seats (Articulated Total Body, still in use today for many applications) and countermeasure detection for seeker heads on laser guided bombs. Interesting stuff, but it was for the government which moves veeerrryyy sloooowwwllly. I was an ambitious young man and moved on. Now I work for an insurance company LOL.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

RFS62 (06-25-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

WPAFB was literally my backyard when I was growing up. Never lived more than a few miles from the museum. Would be good if they got it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yup. Rights covered by a penumbra of some sort. So you'd have to ask the Supremes.
    Diana Ross says she is over-riding any decisions that come out of the 9th circuit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    WPAFB was literally my backyard when I was growing up. Never lived more than a few miles from the museum. Would be good if they got it.
    I was Huber Heights. Were you closer?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Diana Ross says she is over-riding any decisions that come out of the 9th circuit.

- - - Updated - - -

I was Huber Heights. Were you closer?
    Riverside. Mad River Twp. when I lived there.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

It would mean 1400 jobs
    Thank you. I wonder if Grissom ARB in Bunker Hill, IN fits the criteria?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I doubt a document written 240 yrs ago says anything about space flight. It's probably not something that's been addressed
    I would like to think that it, at least, it has been thought about.

Thank you. I wonder if Grissom ARB in Bunker Hill, IN fits the criteria?
    Likely not. It'd be highly unusual for a combatant command to put their HQ on a reserve base.

Netflix made a good prediction by putting their version in Colorado. I'd have to think it's going to go to Schriever AFB, since it's heavily focused on space already (and not knowing if they applied to host it). Peterson would be another obvious candidate if it didn't already host NORTHCOM.

And even though WPAFB has some units that transferred to the Space Force, it's primarily focused on air research and materiel, is host to a MAJCOM (AFMC), and is the largest by personnel in the USAF. I'm also trying to think where they could put such a facility. Maybe on Area A next to the hospital and the 9-hole Prairie Trace golf course? Area B is pretty full and has a terrible parking situation.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-24-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

14. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-30-2020)

A Massive Star Has Disappeared Without a Trace

An unusually bright star has gone missing, in a mystery of cosmic proportions.

An object inside the Kinman dwarf galaxy has disappeared from view, according to new research published today in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. This massive and exceptionally bright blue star was hypothesized to exist based on astronomical observations made between 2001 and 2011, but as of 2019, it is no longer detectable.

16. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (06-30-2020)

First image of a multi-planet system around a sun-like star

The European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope (ESO's VLT) has taken the first ever image of a young, sun-like star accompanied by two giant exoplanets. Images of systems with multiple exoplanets are extremely rare, and—until now—astronomers had never directly observed more than one planet orbiting a star similar to the sun. The observations can help astronomers understand how planets formed and evolved around our own sun.

18. Likes:

jimbo (07-30-2020)

Why There’s a Chance We Heard From Aliens Back in 1977
    On Aug. 15, 1977, an astronomer at Ohio State University, listening to the galaxy with the university’s powerful Big Ear radio telescope, overheard alien chatter echoing somewhere out there in the direction of the Sagittarius constellation.

Well, maybe. When Jerry Ehman noticed the highly structured, seemingly deliberate signal in a computer printout of radio data, he jotted down a note: “Wow!” His exclamation gave the discovery its name.

The Wow! signal seemed like it might have originated from an extraterrestrial civilization. After all, the two-and-a-half-minute signal was loud—a full 30 times louder than the background noise of space.

But scientists were never able to pick up the signal a second time. Lacking additional data, they assumed the signal was just random noise from some star or comet or other natural source–and eventually moved on.

Now a team led by Columbia University astronomer David Kipping is making the case for a fresh effort to detect the signal. We should be able to find it—or confirm it’s gone for good—with just two additional months of hard work and some creative thinking, Kipping and his co-author, Chicago data consultant Robert Gray, wrote in their peer-reviewed study, which appeared online on June 22 and has been accepted for future publication in the science journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

“I think it’s worth chasing down for a couple more months to get to the point where we could say with confidence that the field isn’t worth pursuing anymore,” Kipping told The Daily Beast. “Either we spend two months on the Wow! field and see nothing and can then move on, or we see a recurrence—and that would change the whole story.”

Wow
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

21. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-08-2022)

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/g...f-universe-yet

NASA released the first image from the James Webb telescope.

The image shows the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 as it appeared 4.6 billion years ago. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying much more distant galaxies behind it. Webb’s NIRCam has brought those distant galaxies into sharp focus – they have tiny, faint structures that have never been seen before, including star clusters and diffuse features.

23. Likes:

marcshoe (07-11-2022),Redsfaithful (07-12-2022),Roy Tucker (07-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?