Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Outer Space

Re: Outer Space

https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages

NASA released a few more images this morning.

2. Likes:

moewan (07-13-2022),Roy Tucker (07-12-2022),texasdave (07-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Artemis 1 was a no-go for launch yesterday, due to problems with engine coolant. Windows to launch exist on 9/2 and 9/5, but if the problem isn't solved, we won't try again until October.

As I ramped up my interest in Artemis as an actual mission (and not just a test of a launch system), it grew from "cool to be back in the moon game" to some real hardcore details about how this is our legit return to outer space for the first time since well before I was born. [The ISS is NOT "outer" space. It's low earth orbit. An argument can be made that anything inside the solar system and under the influence of our sun is NOT "outer" space (I think this is actually the official one), which means only the Voyagers have ever been there. But I'm feeling generous. Get away from the influence of the earth, and we'll call it "outer" space.]

We're not doing it as propaganda to beat the Soviets, and then we'll give up after we win: we understand the importance of it, and will keep doing it even after we "win." And there does seem a sense of urgency, either due to Republicans being dicks about funding or China on our heels or whatever.... Artemis 1 is manikins (their spelling, not mine), Artemis 2 will be humans taking the long route to circle the moon but not landing on it (in 2023-4), and Artemis 3 will be landing on the moon (2024-ish). Three missions from unmanned to moon landing; compare that velocity to Apollo, which took 3 times as much prep. Kudos to NASA, they've got the pedal down even without the tangible threat of a Cold War nipping at their heels!

An explainer, courtesy of Vox, for those so inclined: https://www.vox.com/recode/2022/8/27...center-florida

Short version: if you saw a one paragraph summary in your newspaper and wondered "why does it take 42 days to circle the moon and come back?", the answer is "It doesn't, they're making it long on purpose." The reason for THAT is "Science." Read on.
    Last edited by FlightRick; 08-30-2022 at 02:41 PM. Reason: To clarify definition of "outer" space

5. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (08-30-2022),marcshoe (08-30-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-30-2022)

Making oxygen on Mars is news to me:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/world...scn/index.html

7. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-02-2022)

not really sure i want nasa spending public money at the moment. as long as musk is accelerating electric cars and storage he can do what he wants.

I'm convinced that the UFO sightings are satellites or space junk that went astray.

Quote Originally Posted by boxseat View Post
    I'm convinced that the UFO sightings are satellites or space junk that went astray.
    Satellites and space junk won't move strangely like zig zagging.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Dimorphos: Nasa flies spacecraft into asteroid in direct hit

The American space agency's Dart probe has smashed into an asteroid, destroying itself in the process.

The collision was intentional and designed to test whether space rocks that might threaten Earth could be nudged safely out of the way.

Dart's camera returned an image per second, right up to the moment of impact with the target - a 160m-wide object called Dimorphos.

What had been a steady image stream cut out as the probe was obliterated.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (09-27-2022),goreds2 (09-26-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-26-2022),RFS62 (09-26-2022),Roy Tucker (09-26-2022)

Amazing pictures right up until impact.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

The estimates are it hit within 50 feet of the middle of the asteroid. That’s pretty wild. A moving target, 7M miles away and they have that type of precision.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-27-2022)

Truly incredible. Math.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The estimates are it hit within 50 feet of the middle of the asteroid. That’s pretty wild. A moving target, 7M miles away and they have that type of precision.
    It is impressive. As I understand it the technology involves an autopilot where it finds its target, locks onto it and then it goes there. It's not like the asteroids video game where you shoot and then it just continues on a line from there

I said years ago when watching a doomsday science show on our chances of getting hit by a major asteroid, "we'll develop technology to protect our planet from this". Looks like that's exactly what's happening and we're ahead of schedule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooHIIKudsQ

Here's the former Minister of Defense of Canada.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooHIIKudsQ

Here's the former Minister of Defense of Canada.
    Yep. I brought this up a couple years ago but it didn't seem to impress the folks at RZ much:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Here's a former Canadian official who admits that there are aliens out there:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fo...en-technology/

There's more but I thought I'd just jump right to Snopes 'cause I knew you folks would do that anyway

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yep. I brought this up a couple years ago but it didn't seem to impress the folks at RZ much:
    That YouTube channel promotes David Icke's discredited, reptilian/anti-semetic garbage. It's not worth taking seriously.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That YouTube channel promotes David Icke's discredited, reptilian/anti-semetic garbage. It's not worth taking seriously.
    Are you saying that he didn't say it? I posted the Snopes article, not a YouTube link. Snopes said the man did say it

Turn Off Ads?