Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Outer Space

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Outer Space

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Are you saying that he didn't say it? I posted the Snopes article, not a YouTube link. Snopes said the man did say it
    No reason to think he didn't say it. However, people say lots of things. Whether or not those things are accurate is entirely different.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

redsfandan (10-03-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    No reason to think he didn't say it. However, people say lots of things. Whether or not those things are accurate is entirely different.
    Of course. No one, including me, is verifying what he said

Of course. No one, including me, is verifying what he said
    Seems to me that without verification, there's no reason to accept what he's saying.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The estimates are it hit within 50 feet of the middle of the asteroid. That’s pretty wild. A moving target, 7M miles away and they have that type of precision.
    NASA flat out refused to use Microsoft when Clinton passed a bill in the mid-90's that all federal government agencies use the same operating system. The purpose of the bill was so that there would be less miscommunication among both inter-agencies and intra-agencies. Little did they understand that the miscommunication has nothing to do with what software is being used, but that it's the users who are at fault. NASA understood this.

NASA stayed with LINUX.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-04-2022 at 12:28 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Seems to me that without verification, there's no reason to accept what he's saying.
    If it is verified later, you heard it here first.

There's all sorts of different people reporting the same story about Roswell but I take it you don't buy that either

If it is verified later, you heard it here first.

There's all sorts of different people reporting the same story about Roswell but I take it you don't buy that either
    I haven't bought that since I started reading UFO books when I was a kid. I've always been skeptical of those claims.

A success:

Smashing success: NASA’s first planetary defense test changes asteroid’s orbit by 32 minutes

NASA leaders say Earthlings now have a way to fight back if an asteroid is headed here after successfully changing the orbit of an asteroid by slamming an appliance-size spacecraft into the space rock.

NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirect Test (DART) spacecraft launched from California last fall and zoomed through space to reach a binary asteroid system – the larger Didymos and its smaller moonlet Dimorphos, about 7 million miles from Earth.

Two weeks after the impact, teams with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHUAPL) and NASA provided an update on what they’ve learned from DART’s smash.
    https://www.foxweather.com/earth-spa...test-a-success

11. Likes:

WrongVerb (10-11-2022)

Don't let Marjorie Taylor Greene know about this

14. Likes:

WrongVerb (11-15-2022)

Why we need quantum fields, not just quantum particles

Of all the revolutionary ideas that science has entertained, perhaps the most bizarre and counterintuitive one is the notion of quantum mechanics. Previously, scientists had assumed that the Universe was deterministic, in the sense that the laws of physics would enable you to predict with perfect accuracy how any system would evolve into the future. We assumed that our reductionist approach to the Universe — where we searched for the smallest constituents of reality and worked to understand their properties — would lead us to the ultimate knowledge of things. If we could know what things were made of and could determine the rules that governed them, nothing, at least in principle, would be beyond our ability to predict.

This assumption was quickly shown not to be true when it comes to the quantum Universe. When you reduce what’s real to its smallest components, you find that you can divide all forms of matter and energy into indivisible parts: quanta. However, these quanta no longer behave in a deterministic fashion, but only in a probabilistic one. Even with that addition, however, another problem still remains: the effects that these quanta cause on one another. Our classical notions of fields and forces fail to capture the real effects of the quantum mechanical Universe, demonstrating the need for them to be somehow quantized, too. Quantum mechanics isn’t sufficient to explain the Universe; for that, quantum field theory is needed. This is why.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-23-2022)

Quantum Mechanics was my favorite subject in school. It was a lot of fun. (actually had more fun on the geology field trips, but you can't exactly have quantum mechanics field trips)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

It's this example from the article why I know for a fact that all psychologists and psychiatrists are idiots and they should all be tossed in cages at zoos like the monkeys that they are. There is no such thing as "reality" where anyone can apply one person's idea of it towards another person's idea of it. Every person's perspective is as different from anyone else who has ever lived as the planet Earth is different from any other planet from any other solar system in the Universe.

This particular same idea behind quantum mechanics applies to the human brain and human behavior, too.

From the article:

"That would be fine on its own, but then there’s another concept that comes to us from special relativity: the notion of time is different for different observers, so the laws of physics that we apply to systems must remain relativistically invariant. After all, the laws of physics shouldn’t change just because you’re moving at a different speed, in a different direction, or are at a different location from where you were before. As originally formulated, quantum physics was not a relativistically invariant theory; its predictions were different for different observers. It took years of developments before the first relativistically invariant version of quantum mechanics was discovered, which didn’t happen until the late 1920s." https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ive_motion.svg

I mean, seriously. You have 98% of known licensed Psychiatrists/Psychologists who believe in some sort of invisible pink unicorn, whether that's some type of religion, new-age crap, something that controls the destiny of ourselves other than ourselves, and it's these people telling other people that they aren't dealing with reality. These people are nuts (everyone is psychotic, and anyone who thinks they aren't, is pulling a fast one over on you and themselves) and are major hypocrites, and they take big bucks from people to con them. They are charletans, and nothing less than carnival fortune-tellers.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-23-2022 at 02:25 AM.

"In the end, we’ve learned that quantum mechanics is fundamentally flawed on its own. That’s not because of anything weird or spooky that it brought along with it, but because it wasn’t quite weird enough to account for the physical phenomena that actually occur in reality. Particles do indeed have inherently quantum properties, but so do fields: all of them relativistically invariant. Even without a current quantum theory of gravity, it’s all but certain that every aspect of the Universe, particles and fields alike, are themselves quantum in nature. What that means for reality, exactly, is something we’re still trying to puzzle out."

Turn Off Ads?