Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Outer Space

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Outer Space

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We can't test my hypothesis short of me explaining to you what I saw and either saying "this is or isn't possible based on the physics that we know". I can't recreate the event.
    We could. It would just take a tremendous amount of time and effort and money to do it.

Speaking of the physics of it, we do know there are aircraft that can remain relatively stationary in the air (helicopters, some drones, planes like the A-10 and the Harrier Jet) and that some of those craft can appear to move like you describe, while we have yet to observe the ability of anything to both travel at or near light speed and defeat the relativistic effects of doing so. It would be better to keep to the mundane explanations at this point than jump to the extraordinary ones.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Where everyone's making a mistake is in assuming these beings are extraterrestrials instead of ultraterrestrials from a different dimension. You gotta keep up.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

this idea that they need flashing lights that everybody here can see- just seems entirely human.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Where everyone's making a mistake is in assuming these beings are extraterrestrials instead of ultraterrestrials from a different dimension. You gotta keep up.
    The 8th Dimension?

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    this idea that they need flashing lights that everybody here can see- just seems entirely human.
    True.

Personally, I think if earth is ever visited by extra-terrestrials, we won't even recognize it as life. We certainly won't relate to it in any way, although our human nature will attempt to anthropomorphize some of its actions.

It's to keep birds from running into them, duh.

(btw, the ultradimensional theory (which is pretty much whole-cloth fiction) suggests that they appear in forms we create in our minds. In other words, they fulfill our expectations and have appeared at other times as ghosts or even Celtic and British (and French and other cultures) fae, depending on what we have in our minds at the time. It's a supernatural Unified Field Theory.)
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

We have people trying to "explain" science over the milleniums who believe in invisible pink unicorns.

Start with the understanding that there is no "universal fate", no "invisible pink unicorns", that whatever happens, happens and that each of us is in 100% control of whatever has happened and whatever will happen with our little bit of existence before our energy is transformed into another form of energy, then, and only then, are you qualified to even begin to be speaking about things more complicated than this basic principle. Very few humans can get past this basic principle because they are so afraid of death that they have to create these fantasy ideas about human existence backed up by an arrogance of ignorance.

Life is good. Live it.

Mathematics is the only universal truth. All thoughts about what is beyond the Earth's atmosphere can be put into perspective using mathematics/physics/etc.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

WrongVerb (02-25-2020)

Pink unicorns are not invisible. If they were, how would we know there were pink? Besides, the only unicorn I've ever seen was white.

fwiw, I find the creation of folklore fascinating.

Out here in Wichita, we ain't got no fancy dancy unicorns (pink or otherwise). We just got pegasuses (pegasi?).

btw, "folklore" wasn't meant as a dig at Doug. I don't believe, but I'm open. I think that if we don't listen and encourage stories, we lose some of our own story.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 02-25-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Out here in Wichita, we ain't got no fancy dancy unicorns (pink or otherwise). We just got pegasuses (pegasi?).

True absolutely off-topic "contribution" to the thread. In the late 60's when I went to HS. (Yes, I am that old), there were two big garage bands at my HS. The one I was in was called Pegasus. (I was bass player). The other was called Cap'n Crunch and the Crew (I kid you not).

But kids that liked the Crew called us Pig Asses. (I figure that will get masked but I assume you can figure it out).
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-25-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    We could. It would just take a tremendous amount of time and effort and money to do it.

Speaking of the physics of it, we do know there are aircraft that can remain relatively stationary in the air (helicopters, some drones, planes like the A-10 and the Harrier Jet) and that some of those craft can appear to move like you describe, while we have yet to observe the ability of anything to both travel at or near light speed and defeat the relativistic effects of doing so. It would be better to keep to the mundane explanations at this point than jump to the extraordinary ones.
    I'll be waiting around for the mundane explanation of what happened once it started moving again after appearing to hover/not move for about 2 minutes.

We'll always have Vogons.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    We'll always have Vogons.
    Unfortunately, that also means we will always have Vogon poetry.

18. Likes:

North (02-26-2020)

Well, I don't feel any need to explain myself to an ant farm when I'm looking at one.

That would be about the difference between any civilization that has the technology to get here and us.

Dark Forest theory isn't exactly ET
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

20. Likes:

North (02-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?