Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Outer Space

Re: Outer Space

https://www.livescience.com/disappea...malhaut-b.html

This is a pretty interesting story. Back in 2004 an exoplanet was discovered by direct imaging around a star 25 light years away. But 10 years later, the planet was gone.

So what they think happened is that two objects orbiting the star collided and we saw the after math of the collision which over the last 10-15 years has slowly disappeared from our view.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    https://www.livescience.com/disappea...malhaut-b.html

This is a pretty interesting story. Back in 2004 an exoplanet was discovered by direct imaging around a star 25 light years away. But 10 years later, the planet was gone.

So what they think happened is that two objects orbiting the star collided and we saw the after math of the collision which over the last 10-15 years has slowly disappeared from our view.
    Amazing that they can even see something 125 miles wide, 25 light yrs away, or over 100 trillion miles away. To know exactly what happened is a guess that we'll not live to see it proven one way or another

Entropy in action...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

"Proven" is a mathematical concept, not a scientific one.

Science, OTOH, finds the best explanation for all the available empirical information.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    "Proven" is a mathematical concept, not a scientific one.

Science, OTOH, finds the best explanation for all the available empirical information.
    Yeah we get that.

In the sky tonight, you will see the Lyrid meteor shower
    DOYLE RICE | USA TODAYv
    Updated 11:38 a.m. EDT Apr. 21, 2020

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/5151818002/

RADIO SIGNAL COMING FROM INSIDE THE MILKY WAY DETECTED BY ASTRONOMERS

has been detected by astronomers.

The signal is a fast radio burst (FRB), bright radio bursts that last milliseconds and appear to come from deep space. Because they are short-lived, they were often only identified in satellite data after the signal was recorded. Finding where they came from and what produced them has been largely a mystery.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Eta Aquarid meteor shower 2020: When, where and how to see it

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...skies/12194636

Scientists obtain 'lucky' image of Jupiter
    By Jonathan Amos
    BBC Science Correspondent
    8 May 2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52587488

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-10-2020),WrongVerb (05-09-2020)

Astronomers have found a planet like Earth orbiting a star like the sun

Three thousand light-years from Earth sits Kepler 160, a sun-like star that’s already thought to have three planets in its system. Now researchers think they’ve found a fourth. Planet KOI-456.04, as it’s called, appears similar to Earth in size and orbit, raising new hopes we’ve found perhaps the best candidate yet for a habitable exoplanet that resembles our home world. The new findings bolster the case for devoting more time to looking for planets orbiting stars like Kepler-160 and our sun, where there’s a better chance a planet can receive the kind of illumination that’s amenable to life.

“Before you leave office, will you let us know if there are aliens? Because this is the only thing I really want to know. I want to know what’s going on. Would you ever open up Roswell and let us know what’s going on there?” Trump Jr. asked in the video produced by Trump’s presidential campaign.

“So many people ask me that question,” the president said. “There are millions and millions of people that want to go there, that want to see it. I won’t talk to you about what I know about it but it’s very interesting. But Roswell is a very interesting place with a lot of people that would like to know what’s going on.”

When Trump Jr. pushed his father on whether he will ever declassify information about Roswell, the president said, “I’ll have to think about that one.”
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump...m-about-aliens

So Trump had nothing to say on the aliens issue. Got it.

So Trump had nothing to say on the aliens issue. Got it.
    Nothing yet, that's correct

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Nothing yet, that's correct
    Well, get back to me when there is something. Until that happens, though, stop with your imagination and wishful thinking. Trump literally is controlling your thoughts at this point with his insinuations.

Well, get back to me when there is something. Until that happens, though, stop with your imagination and wishful thinking. Trump literally is controlling your thoughts at this point with his insinuations.
    It may turn out to be nothing. We'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up at this point

Turn Off Ads?