Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel not gonna start???

Re: Senzel not gonna start???

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gant View Post
    Even when he's healthy (which is almost never) he isn't that good. It is what it is.
    He's 24 and has had 375 MLB AB's.

And his career average is .256, which happens to be the exact career average as your guy, Ron Gant.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    He's 24 and has had 375 MLB AB's.

And his career average is .256, which happens to be the exact career average as your guy, Ron Gant.
    Yes, but Ron Gant was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    It’s definitely hard.

But it’s just as silly to predict greatness out of Senzel at this point as it is to predict his failure. All we know about him so far is he had good MiLB numbers, a poor rookie season and a pretty extensive injury/illness history. The ridiculousness ranges from he stinks to all the moaning and hand wringing last season about leaving him in the minors in April. Nobody really knows anything at this point.
    I'm certainly not saying he's going to be great.

I'm also not saying he's going to be selling insurance in 4 years

5. Likes:

M2 (02-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think that was speculated on in an article or two.
    But I don't think the Reds would have signed Shogo if he could no longer play a competent CF.
    Not necessarily gold glove, but competent.

After seeing Ervin, Winker, Senzel, Peraza, Schelber , and the other guys try to play CF, I am sure Shogo is going to look pretty good.
    Exactly, the Reds unquestionably are in on Shogo's ability to man CF.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-24-2020),REDREAD (02-24-2020)

Maybe Atlanta should have cut him loose after he put up a 236/290/404 line over his first 1000 plate appearances.

Of course, then the would have missed out on his 303/357/539 age 25 breakout season.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 02-24-2020 at 02:29 PM.

He’s going to play. Shogo will not start.

Senzel is going to start. Not starting him, barring injury, would be organizational malpractice.

11. Likes:

HammerTime (02-24-2020),Ron Madden (02-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Maybe Atlanta should have cut him loose after he put up a 236/290/404 line over his first 1000 plate appearances.

Of course, then the would have missed out on his 303/357/539 age 25 breakout season.
    Gant was bigger than his numbers. He was bigger than the entire game of baseball.

Facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Senzel is going to start. Not starting him, barring injury, would be organizational malpractice.
    Lol.

13. Likes:

bm1475 (02-24-2020)

Senzel was only like .2 seconds slower than Billy Hamilton's home plate to first speed. I'd say that is pretty fun to watch, even from the casual fans. And Billy Hamilton averages a .4 barrell% compared to Senzel's 8%. So Senzel is consistently hitting the ball harder. I know Billy Hamilton is not a great barometer, but if your barometer is "fun to watch", I'd say Senzel is pretty fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I think that at least early in the season, if Senzel gets an every day job, it will likely be LF .

In other words, I think the Reds chose Shogo over Winker/Ervin/Aquino if it comes down to that.

Sure, the bench guys will get playing time, but I think Shogo will be given every chance to lock down the CF job. I am speculating that Shogo was promised that in order to get him to come here. Otherwise, why would he come to Cincy over the other destinations?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-24-2020)

Gant was bigger than his numbers. He was bigger than the entire game of baseball.

Facts.
    He was Jimmy Wynn without the walks, Willie Horton without the legend of breaking up a riot.

I think that at least early in the season, if Senzel gets an every day job, it will likely be LF .

In other words, I think the Reds chose Shogo over Winker/Ervin/Aquino if it comes down to that.

Sure, the bench guys will get playing time, but I think Shogo will be given every chance to lock down the CF job. I am speculating that Shogo was promised that in order to get him to come here. Otherwise, why would he come to Cincy over the other destinations?
    Senzel is going to be the starting CF. Shogo will not be the CF. He will play when Senzel gets a day off or if he plays some IF

Quote Originally Posted by ACredsfan4 View Post
    Senzel is going to be the starting CF. Shogo will not be the CF. He will play when Senzel gets a day off or if he plays some IF
    We will see how it plays out.
    If it works out as you say, the Reds wasted 21 million by signing Shogo to be a backup. They should have spent that money on relief pitching. It's a waste because now they have 6 OF that at least arguably deserve to be on the roster.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Since before he was drafted, we've heard one thing constantly about Senzel...that he's a professional hitter. Professional hitters always make the necessary adjustments when a league adjusts to them while maintaining an expected career growth. If Senzel doesn't OPS at least .850 this season, then all of that talk about him his whole career has been hogwash. Combine that with his horrendous injury history, and should he fail to post an .850+ POS, then he needs to be jettisoned next Winter while some other organization is still foolhardy enough to believe in his hype. It's up to Senzel to prove things one way or another this season. It's a make or break season for him. He doesn't get any injury excuses, either. He needs to post an .850+ OPS regardless of whatever "this year's" quagmire of injuries befall him. I'm glad the REDS aren't counting on him any more than they are counting on Winker or India.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-24-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

21. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-24-2020)

We will see how it plays out.
    If it works out as you say, the Reds wasted 21 million by signing Shogo to be a backup. They should have spent that money on relief pitching. It's a waste because now they have 6 OF that at least arguably deserve to be on the roster.
    Shogo isn't gonna be a backup.
    The Reds said they signed him to play all 3 outfield positions.
    He'll get plenty of playing time

The Reds were searching for high on-base percentage hitters. They wanted a left-handed hitting outfielder who was athletic, a solid baserunner and could play center field.

“His ability to play all three outfield positions was really important,” Reds manager David Bell said. “I don’t think it would have made as much sense if he played just one outfield position. That’s pretty rare if a guy can play center field the way he does with his athleticism.

“That was a big part of why this made sense and why he’ll be able to get a lot of playing time.”
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...im/2850091001/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-24-2020 at 05:16 PM.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?