Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infield Depth

Infield Depth

Galvis and Suarez currently "injured". Add Moustakas and Votto to what you saw yesterday and that's your current infield folks.

Signing Deitrich was a small step but they need to do more. They need at least one more major league caliber middle infielder on this team.

Are they going to add anyone?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Infield Depth

Senzel will likely play some 2B if Suarez is out. Moustakas will move to 3B short term. I think they will be fine without adding anyone assuming Galvis is healthy. However if you are going to add it needs to be someone who can play SS.

We're 3 games in to spring training. Let's give them a little more time before we jump off a cliff

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-25-2020)

Might be worth signing Tim Beckham up. Addison Russell is a fit on paper but I think we all know why he's still unsigned and I imagine it will stay that way.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-26-2020)

Still not enough (and Senzel is currently "injured" too).

What if Galvis misses significant time? There is not another major league caliber shortstop in the entire organization.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My prediction is that Farmer* and Dietrich** are the backups. VanMeter and Blandino still have options, so they'll go to AAA.

*provided he shows he's a capable backup at SS
    **provided he shows he's fully healthy from a year ago
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-24-2020)

"Senzel will likely play some 2B if Suarez is out. Moustakas will move to 3B short term. "

Still not enough (and Senzel is currently "injured" too).

What if Galvis misses significant time? There is not another major league caliber shortstop in the entire organization.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    Galvis and Suarez currently "injured". Add Moustakas and Votto to what you saw yesterday and that's your current infield folks.

Signing Deitrich was a small step but they need to do more. They need at least one more major league caliber middle infielder on this team.

Are they going to add anyone?
    Do you consider Van Meter a major league caliber middle infielder?

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    Do you consider Van Meter a major league caliber middle infielder?
    At this point, barely. But the jury is still out on him.

However, I'm more concerned with shortstop. And while I've not seen Deitrich or Van Meter play SS, I'd venture a guess that it would not be major league caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    At this point, barely. But the jury is still out on him.

However, I'm more concerned with shortstop. And while I've not seen Deitrich or Van Meter play SS, I'd venture a guess that it would not be major league caliber.
    If the Reds had a lot of OFers, they might be able to make a trade to fill the IF spot.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-25-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds had a lot of OFers, they might be able to make a trade to fill the IF spot.
    My understanding with Galvis, its a minor, minor injury. Because its spring training, the Reds can afford to be more cautious and let folks like Blandino, Farmer get some reps at SS, and let minor league players like Colon, Garcia, and Rodriguez get some starts. I even read one short blurb somewhere that Jonathan India may see a few innings at SS (I will believe it when I see it). But Galvis should be good to go in a few days.

The Reds do have an abundance of OF's to offer. But they would be very smart to hang on to Castellanos, Senzel, Winker, Shogo, and I'd stash Aquino at AAA. So if they can get a solid back-up SS for the likes of one of Ervin, Jankowski, or Schebler, by all means, yes.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I have a feeling we'll see Garcia at the big league level sooner than later and so far the kid has already knocked 2 over the fences in spring training in just 5 ABs. Yeah, I know..a very small sample size, but it ain't nothing. He hit .280 in Daytona last year so..... yeah..I might start getting excited sooner or later even if it takes more than it used to to excite me.
    Last edited by allpurpose; 02-25-2020 at 07:05 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I have a Garcia timeline in my head that has him breaking into the bigs sometime after May 2021.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I have a Garcia timeline in my head that has him breaking into the bigs sometime after May 2021.
    My timeline is more aggressive than yours. I hope to see him mash in 300 PA in AA to start 2020 and then get called to the bigs for good mid-summer 2020.

He has big league power right now. He showed that yesterday. I think if we see him get that BB rate over 6 and keep the K rate under 20, and produce a line similar to what he had in A+ in those 300ish AA PAs, there is a good chance that he will outperform Galvis' 2020 projections of .245/.290/.395 in the bigs.

Perhaps the Reds have a similarly aggressive timeline in mind for Garcia which is why they did so little to address the position in the off-season.

If Garcia shows that he is capable of handling pitching in spring training, that would be quite welcome at this time. He has a good start. If it is meant to be, it will happen. I would like to see it.

Turn Off Ads?