Turn Off Ads?

Thread: looking for stats

looking for stats

how many games were lost by the bull pen.. became a reds fan last year (moved to KY from NJ) as i remember the kiss of death was the bull pen.. they did well getting some bats.. however nothing great so far for relievers or a closer.. as a mets fan it is all about pitching....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: looking for stats

Quote Originally Posted by toesave View Post
    how many games were lost by the bull pen.. became a reds fan last year (moved to KY from NJ) as i remember the kiss of death was the bull pen.. they did well getting some bats.. however nothing great so far for relievers or a closer.. as a mets fan it is all about pitching....
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...=CIN&year=2019

1-13 in save situations - 46 saves

4-2 in non save situations - 0 saves

You changed allegiances just for moving to KY? I would still be a Reds fan anywhere on the planet. So if you move back to NJ are ya gonna revert? tsk tsk.. Oh well...Welcome aboard. If you're lucky you'll never look back even if we wind up in dead last place for 30 years. Us diehards are loyal to the bitter end...even beyond the grave!

Me and the teams I've known my whole life

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-27-2020),Roy Tucker (02-25-2020)

I went to college in Houston, Texas back in the early 80’s. I absolutely could not get interested in following the Astros. I tried. This was before the days of the internet, where you can be a Reds fan and live anywhere.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Something to consider when looking at our bullpen performance in terms of wins and losses is that wins and losses are the result of run scoring as much as run prevention. Here's our offensive output by inning:

Code:
    Inning	Runs	Index	Rank
    1	0.81	139	1
    2	0.49	101	12
    3	0.43	76	27
    4	0.36	68	29
    5	0.51	93	20
    6	0.46	82	24
    7	0.46	85	26
    8	0.42	80	28
    9	0.33	87	23
    We got some early leads by having a superb first inning offense and average 2nd inning offense -- that is, the first time through the lineup. But from that point forward, we had one of the worst offenses in baseball. It's easy to pin a 1 run loss on a bullpen that gives up a run in a tied game or fails to protect a small lead. It's harder, intuitively, to recognize that your offense should be doing more to give your bullpen a bigger margin for error.

Consider, the Reds scored, on average, 1.21 runs in the 7th through 9th innings (3.63 R/9). The Rays bullpen had the best bullpen in baseball last year with a 3.71 ERA. When your offense turns the average bullpen into the best bullpen in baseball, it puts your own bullpen behind the 8-ball.

By all means, improve the bullpen if you can. But if the offense doesn't pick up the slack, they could be the best bullpen in baseball and still lose more games than they win from a W/L standpoint.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-27-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

9. Likes:

CaiGuy (03-04-2020),dfs (02-27-2020),Ron Madden (02-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?