Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports regional networks

Re: YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports regional networks

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    We moved back to YouTubeTV because the interface and navigation on Hulu was beyond horrible. (And YTTV offers an unlimited DVR for free.)

Hoping YTTV gets those FSN regionals back for next season. Not sure what we'll do if they don't.
    I cancelled Hulu as soon as I saw the post season schedule. You can FF through commercial on all DVR and when traveling use YouTube TV subscription , Hulu won’t travel. We hated Hulu after trying YTTV.
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just got the email, Hulu won't have Reds games next season.

Hi Dave,

Starting on October 23, 2020 Hulu will no longer have the rights to distribute certain Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) that are currently included with your Hulu + Live TV plan.

While we were unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group to continue offering channels like your Fox Sports RSN, YES Network, and Marquee Network, the good news is that you will continue to have access to a wide variety of sports from other popular channels including ESPN, TNT, and TBS, as well as FS1 and FS2.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Just got the email, Hulu won't have Reds games next season.
    Probably a bit early to say they won't have them next season. That's a long time from now for them to continue negotiating. Not a great sign, of course, but we'll see how things go when the pressure mounts as the season gets closer and the phone calls pile up around the country from people who can't watch their local baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Probably a bit early to say they won't have them next season. That's a long time from now for them to continue negotiating. Not a great sign, of course, but we'll see how things go when the pressure mounts as the season gets closer and the phone calls pile up around the country from people who can't watch their local baseball team.
    If the email came from Hulu, they want you to complain to FS Ohio; if the email came from FS Ohio, they want you to complain to Hulu.

6. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    If the email came from Hulu, they want you to complain to FS Ohio; if the email came from FS Ohio, they want you to complain to Hulu.
    I know where I fall on this one: Blame Sinclair.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2020),bm1475 (10-22-2020),Chip R (10-22-2020),Red Raindog (10-22-2020)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I got the same email.
    Will have to wait to see but the VPN and mlb app is looking more possible by the month.
    Will likely switch back to YTTV if Hulu can’t get an agreement with Sinclair but because no else has been very successful I will temper those hopes....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

What is the value of a regional sports network if many viewers aren't able to view it? I mean, if only Spectrum can afford Sinclair's rates, but the majority of viewers in the region can't afford Spectrum, then the value of the Reds' contract with a station owned by Sinclair that isn't drawing viewers can't be good for the Cincinnati Reds brand, right?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    What is the value of a regional sports network if many viewers aren't able to view it? I mean, if only Spectrum can afford Sinclair's rates, but the majority of viewers in the region can't afford Spectrum, then the value of the Reds' contract with a station owned by Sinclair that isn't drawing viewers can't be good for the Cincinnati Reds brand, right?
    it's a good point but they still have cable and DirecTV. Not sure about Dish. And the Reds aren't the only team in this boat. The FSRs are paying these teams a bunch of money to televise these games. They want to get as much money from the carriers to pay the teams. The more they have to pay, the more they charge the subscribers. Of course YouTubeTV raised their rates and dropped the RSNs. They did add NFL Network and a couple more but didn't drop prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

MLB is heading into the NHL in the 80’s territory. The teams are getting paid obscene amounts of money for their TV rights, but that causes the games to be available to a small section of the fan base. They make money in the short end, but lose out in the long end.

Spectrum did this in Los Angeles with the Dodgers, and it lasted 6 years. 6 years of only those with Spectrum could watch Dodger games. They finally reached agreement with other providers this year. The Dodgers were able to survive this for 6 years. I am not sure teams like the Reds, Royals, Twins, Rays, etc. can.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    it's a good point but they still have cable and DirecTV. Not sure about Dish. And the Reds aren't the only team in this boat. The FSRs are paying these teams a bunch of money to televise these games. They want to get as much money from the carriers to pay the teams. The more they have to pay, the more they charge the subscribers. Of course YouTubeTV raised their rates and dropped the RSNs. They did add NFL Network and a couple more but didn't drop prices.
    The goal of all of this is to keep cable alive. As more and more people are cutting the cord, cable and Satellite providers need sports to keep subscribers, it’s all the have to offer these days. Not reaching agreements with YoutubeTV and other streaming sites actually plays into their game.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2020),GAC (10-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The goal of all of this is to keep cable alive. As more and more people are cutting the cord, cable and Satellite providers need sports to keep subscribers, it’s all the have to offer these days. Not reaching agreements with YoutubeTV and other streaming sites actually plays into their game.
    Correct. However, they are in somewhat the same boat as the streaming services. They will have to start charging subscribers more money to carry all the channels and they will rebel and drop their service. That's why I quit DirecTV several years ago. I had no extra pay channels and was getting charged about $120 a month.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2020),savafan (10-23-2020)

The fun part is that the Reds are part owners of Fox Sports Ohio. Many teams are part owners of their regional sports network. While they are minority owners, they are actively working against their fans when it comes to stuff like this and it's wild.

18. Likes:

Red Raindog (10-22-2020)

Correct. However, they are in somewhat the same boat as the streaming services. They will have to start charging subscribers more money to carry all the channels and they will rebel and drop their service. That's why I quit DirecTV several years ago. I had no extra pay channels and was getting charged about $120 a month.
    Agree. As I said in a different post, this a long term losing plan for everyone.

20. Likes:

Chip R (10-23-2020)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

No longer on Dish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

22. Likes:

Chip R (10-23-2020)

I wonder what Sinclair is thinking. Fox sports has been dropped by Hulu, Youtube, and Dish that i know of. How are they making money by raising fees and dropping carriers? That I know of Directv is the only large service that will carry Fox Sports next year? is that right?

Turn Off Ads?