Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports regional networks

Re: YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports regional networks

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Everyone in Kentucky got the shaft on this one. It's a shame because I really like YouTubeTV's product. It's a great service with fantastic DVR features. But no Reds is a dealbreaker.
    I’m with ya.
    Can’t stand Hulu’s navigation, can’t travel with Hulu. Loved YouTubeTV’s navigation and format. If I thought I could work it out on smart tv , I would get a VPN and MLB just so I could use YouTubeTV to steam everything except the Reds.
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Well, I am addicted and willing to pay $, though not to cable or Dish, or anything that requires a contract except MLB TV. And I'm blacked out of that.

Draconian. They think they're being business smart by grabbing every dollar they can, but they're also ensuring that an entire generation of kids grows up watching NFL and NBA instead.
    NBA is just as hard to "consume" .
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Ok, guys. The season is drawing closer and I am about to start getting nervous about my viewing options. I had Direct tv and the bill just got too high and I switched to Dish before I realized it didn't have RSN. We like Dish better anyway so switching back isn't an option. My internet is high speed over phone line but still isn't great even though it works pretty well with Netflix. I have Hulu but would need to add the live feature so that is about 40 more a month and I really don't need it for TV watching except for the Reds. I live in East Tn and mlbtv has the Reds and Braves both blacked out for me. If I go with that I guess I need a Vpn. Who would you recommend to use for vpn? Can you choose a server where ever to make it look like you are located there? Alaska is only blacked out for Mariners. I really want to see the FS Ohio broadcast all the time if possible. I don't really need any other options for viewing other TV shows since I already have Dish. What is my best option?
    I'm going to assume, due to location, that you don't have access to cable TV (Spectrum), which is why you have your internet via the phone line and satellite TV? Plus Dish gave you a limited time discount, saving you money, for switching right? If you like Dish, don't want to switch, then your best option is to get a VPN, and do the MLB.TV. I got NordVpn about three weeks ago. If you don't like it within the first 30 days they will refund your money. They're offering one heck of a deal right now too ...... https://nordvpn.com/

The "thing" with VPNs is - they all will, to some degree, slow your computer performance down somewhat. Some are better then others. Nord is ranked one of the better ones. But the reason I throw that in is because you're getting your hi-speed via the phone line (like DSL). So right now, while your download speed is sufficient, it may suffer some drop with a VPN, possibly give you issues. Have you ever down a internet speed check to see what you are drawing? ..... https://www.speedtest.net/

We live rural, but have access to cable (Spectrum). We had that, then Directv for a while. The cost drove us away from both. But I was able to keep Spectrum's hi-speed internet (100 mbps), so we stream. And we've ran the gauntlet of all the various streaming services - Sling, HuluLive, DirectvNow, etc - until we settled with YouTubeTV because Sling took off RSNs last year and forced the move. And the good thing about that is, there is no contract. You don't like one, or they pull shenanigans like jerking RSNs (lol), you can dump them and change right over to another. I pay about $125/month for Spectrum internet and YouTube TV, and I get get all the mainstream (popular) channels and then some. More then enough for our viewing pleasure anyway.

Also ... if you know someone that has YouTubeTV, and they are willing to do so, they can "family share" up to five people on their account where you're watching for free. I got my Mom and a buddy on mine.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-09-2020 at 04:12 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

Bacon (03-09-2020)

I feel like the MLB could really capitalize on this and remove their stupid blackout rules for MLB.tv. As it stands now, I'm unaffected as a YTTV subscriber in central Ohio unless I want to watch a Tribe game, but lets face it, it's only a matter of time before Sinclair pulls some more crap. I'd gladly pay the subscription for MLB.tv, but where I live sits in the blackout area for Reds, Indians and even the Pirates. Ridiculous.

These streaming platforms figure out a way to offer local channels with local advertisements, I'd think the MLB could figure it out too.

It's very frustrating that these platforms and networks hold customers hostage while they argue over the last $100k of a multi-million dollar deal. Seems to happen all the time with local channels too, even on regular cable/satellite. Gets even more disgusting when they try to use the customer as ammo by telling them *insert side* is being greedy and is causing you to not be able to watch channel X effective March 5.

Maybe I'll just go back to using torrents to watch my favorite shows and using illegal internet streams for sports.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm going to assume, due to location, that you don't have access to cable TV (Spectrum), which is why you have your internet via the phone line and satellite TV? Plus Dish gave you a limited time discount, saving you money, for switching right? If you like Dish, don't want to switch, then your best option is to get a VPN, and do the MLB.TV. I got NordVpn about three weeks ago. If you don't like it within the first 30 days they will refund your money. They're offering one heck of a deal right now too ...... https://nordvpn.com/

The "thing" with VPNs is - they all will, to some degree, slow your computer performance down somewhat. Some are better then others. Nord is ranked one of the better ones. But the reason I throw that in is because you're getting your hi-speed via the phone line (like DSL). So right now, while your download speed is sufficient, it may suffer some drop with a VPN, possibly give you issues. Have you ever down a internet speed check to see what you are drawing? ..... https://www.speedtest.net/

We live rural, but have access to cable (Spectrum). We had that, then Directv for a while. The cost drove us away from both. But I was able to keep Spectrum's hi-speed internet (100 mbps), so we stream. And we've ran the gauntlet of all the various streaming services - Sling, HuluLive, DirectvNow, etc - until we settled with YouTubeTV because Sling took off RSNs last year and forced the move. And the good thing about that is, there is no contract. You don't like one, or they pull shenanigans like jerking RSNs (lol), you can dump them and change right over to another. I pay about $125/month for Spectrum internet and YouTube TV, and I get get all the mainstream (popular) channels and then some. More then enough for our viewing pleasure anyway.

Also ... if you know someone that has YouTubeTV, and they are willing to do so, they can "family share" up to five people on their account where you're watching for free. I got my Mom and a buddy on mine.
    Thanks for some really good advice! I was leaning toward what you have advised and you have confirmed it. My internet strength is in the lower area of acceptable range so I may encounter some problems. All of this just sux.

8. Likes:

GAC (03-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I feel like the MLB could really capitalize on this and remove their stupid blackout rules for MLB.tv. As it stands now, I'm unaffected as a YTTV subscriber in central Ohio unless I want to watch a Tribe game, but lets face it, it's only a matter of time before Sinclair pulls some more crap. I'd gladly pay the subscription for MLB.tv, but where I live sits in the blackout area for Reds, Indians and even the Pirates. Ridiculous.

These streaming platforms figure out a way to offer local channels with local advertisements, I'd think the MLB could figure it out too.

It's very frustrating that these platforms and networks hold customers hostage while they argue over the last $100k of a multi-million dollar deal. Seems to happen all the time with local channels too, even on regular cable/satellite. Gets even more disgusting when they try to use the customer as ammo by telling them *insert side* is being greedy and is causing you to not be able to watch channel X effective March 5.

Maybe I'll just go back to using torrents to watch my favorite shows and using illegal internet streams for sports.
    It's pathetic that it really is easier AND better.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

The MLB blackout rule is byzantine and needs to be modified. I don't see anything wrong with blacking out games within a 100 mile radius of the MLB city. Beyond that's fair game. Streaming, cable and satellite services should carry the respective cable/over the air channels within that area that broadcast those games. I guess I can't figure why ending regional blackouts would hurt the bottom line. I may be thinking small but I think, if anything, it would help increase revenues. Some poor schlub in Iowa only has access to the games their cable/satellite/streaming providers carry. That's usually Cardinals or Cubs. So the other team is blacked out on the MLB Extra Innings package along with every other team within the surrounding area. If you're a fan of one of those teams that are being blacked out, would you buy that Extra Innings package if you know you can't see your team unless it's a national TV game or they are playing the team that is on your provider?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

yeah this sux, love yttv but lost the rsns here in Louisville. needs to get fixed or gonna have to look elsewhere
    cannot believe the MLBtv blackout issues as well.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

12. Likes:

Chip R (03-09-2020),wlf WV (03-09-2020)

You're in Lewis Center? You're only a good spit away from me (rural outside Bellefontaine).

It's a very complicated network or "matrix" with all these national, local, and regional contracts with networks that MLB has nothing to do with, and who's hands are tied currently. Everyone's got their hand in the pie.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Thanks for some really good advice! I was leaning toward what you have advised and you have confirmed it. My internet strength is in the lower area of acceptable range so I may encounter some problems. All of this just sux.
    I'm not a "conspiracy theory" person; but I wouldn't put it past the "big boys" (cable/satellite giants) - because watching sports is big business, we're addicts - squeezing these streaming services, causing disruptions, aggravating fans, is part of a bigger scheme to force people back into their services. The only reason Dish, Directv, Spectrum, and others started streaming services was because they were losing business, saw how popular they were, and didn't have an immediate solution. Fasten your seatbelts.

15. Likes:

Chip R (03-10-2020)

Well, apparently Hulu Plus isn't an option for me because my 6 month old LG smart tv doesn't support the app. My options are buying a roku device so that I can install Hulu on that or hooking cable back up with Spectrum. Good times. YouTube can go kick rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tsdavis11 View Post
    Well, apparently Hulu Plus isn't an option for me because my 6 month old LG smart tv doesn't support the app. My options are buying a roku device so that I can install Hulu on that or hooking cable back up with Spectrum. Good times. YouTube can go kick rocks.
    Really? A 6 month old smart TV? Are you able to do a search to add apps? I had to do it on my Mom's smart TV a couple weeks ago (add YTTV).

I'd still stream if possible. Roku's are pretty cheap. But then, so Roku TVs. I was going to buy my sister a Roku ($40) - she's been watching a 20 yr old Sanyo (lol) - but saw Roku LCD TVs are around $100+, so I invested the extra $60 (lol).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Really? A 6 month old smart TV? Are you able to do a search to add apps? I had to do it on my Mom's smart TV a couple weeks ago (add YTTV).

I'd still stream if possible. Roku's are pretty cheap. But then, so Roku TVs. I was going to buy my sister a Roku ($40) - she's been watching a 20 yr old Sanyo (lol) - but saw Roku LCD TVs are around $100+, so I invested the extra $60 (lol).
    My LG TV no longer supports Hulu - but it's also about 6 years told. It's had issues with Youtube in the last 6 months, too. Sometimes it works flawlessly, but frequently it will just restart the app mid-video. I hooked up a Roku to it and just use that for everything now.

As for the Roku TV's, I will say this much - my mom has one, and it was cheap - as they all seem to be - and if it were mine, I'd be very disappointed. It works fine, but I can definitely notice the subtle rolling line in the picture (she says she can't see it).

19. Likes:

GAC (03-16-2020)

We have a TCL Roku tv in the bedroom and a Vizio both with Firesticks. The Vizio works faster and has a better picture.
    May the Lord bless

You're gonna get what you pay for. You're running a TV gauntlet (both sides) when you go to Walmart, Best Buy, etc (lol). Right now is the best time to buy the 4K technology because 8K is out, and they're clearing inventory. We had a 46" Sony Bravia in the living room (14 yrs old), and bought a Samsung Series 7 65" 4K UHD TV for just under $500 a few weeks ago. I saw them at Costco yesterday for $350.

My buddy bought one of the Samsung QLED TVs. Sweet. But he paid $1700 (Jan 19), and the set is selling for around $1000 now.

Turn Off Ads?