Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports regional networks

Re: YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports regional networks

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's to encouracge the local cable providers to pick-up the broadcast. Fox Sports Indiana carries the Reds games that are briadcast on Fox Sports Ohio and its boosts the local TV deal. That probably wouldn't happen if MLB TV was available in Indy. I'm actually surprised the same doesn't happen in Louisville.

It's only a matter of time. As more people get VPNs that allow them to mask we they really are, the exclusity will go away anyway.

I feel like that is stealing, so I won't do that, but enough people will that the exclusivity will be a lot less effective. The botton will drop out of those local TV deals someday when that happens.
    definitely not stealing ^^^^

2. Likes:

757690 (12-06-2020),Bob Sheed (12-09-2020),Joeyjection19 (12-26-2020),marcshoe (01-30-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Except MLB has a pretty broad definition of "local area". I can't watch the Reds on MLBTV here in West Virginia without making it look like I'm somewhere else. Which I would Never Never Ever Do.
    95% of the state of Ohio is in the Red's "local area". I think the line stops somewhere south of Cleveland (lol). A joke!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

goreds2 (12-10-2020),KYExtemper (12-27-2020)

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    95% of the state of Ohio is in the Red's "local area". I think the line stops somewhere south of Cleveland (lol). A joke!
    Prior to Washington getting an mlb team the reds were blacked out here where I live in North Carolina a full 8 hour drive from Cincinnati.

7. Likes:

GAC (12-10-2020),goreds2 (12-10-2020),KYExtemper (12-27-2020)

Key in your zip code to see what is available.

https://getmyhometeams.com/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

The only streaming option left is AT&T TV, and honestly they're worse than cable. They lock you into a two year agreement, and the second year is a massive price increase (nearly double the first year). Then there's hidden fees that are difficult to identify unless you order. It's basically DirectTV masquerading as a streaming option.

Hard pass right there.

So that leaves Spectrum and Cincinnati Bell ...

Right now my mindset is if the Reds are in cost-cutting mode and have no plans to put a contending club on the field in 2021, then honestly I might go into cost-cutting mode myself and avoid going out of my way to spend $$$ on a TV product just to watch them field a sub .500 team again.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Has anyone heard any movement on this front?

Mrs. Operator and I just made the decision to build a house and are actively looking for ways to trim fat out of our budget. Paying Spectrum $208 a month for internet and Reds games (I use cable for very little else) seems like some low hanging fruit to put on the chopping block.

I would, of course, have to have a way to watch games though.

Just curious. Thanks for any info.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

Mrs. Operator and I just made the decision to build a house and are actively looking for ways to trim fat out of our budget. Paying Spectrum $208 a month for internet and Reds games (I use cable for very little else) seems like some low hanging fruit to put on the chopping block.

Found this earlier today: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...s-rebrand.html

Bally’s?

I agree, somethings gotta give. Watching most Bearcat BB games would cost me extra to subscribe to espn+. I’m already paying for about 3-4 other espn services with YouTube tv. So, I just no to Bearcat BB and listen on radio like the old man I’ve become.

Might do the same with the Reds, depending on the cost. Also, I’m very close to getting rid of YouTubeTV as they’ve jacked up their prices twice, $15 each, over the last 18 months or so. Might swap out to Sling and bag sports altogether

MLBTV is great, but I can’t watch the Reds. It’s good for instantaneous replays though.

It’s almost as if the owners of MLB franchises really don’t want you to consume their product!
    sorry we're boring

12. Likes:

The Operator (01-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

No movement on this front that I know of, other than the potential Bally's option that AR posted. It's hitting Columbus Blue Jacket fans right now. I'm not really a hockey fan so it doesn't bother me, but I was hoping NHL fan pressure from Blue Jackets fans and other teams would help. So far, nothing.

I don't think anybody knows how the standalone option will work. It could be a dream, or it could be a disaster. If you don't want to bet on it working, then honestly your best bet is to cancel Spectrum TV services for a minimum of 30 days. In fact, just make it five weeks to be safe. Then at the five week mark call them back and try to get back on with a promotion. It'll be a complete aggravation, that I'm sure. You'll just have to make a decision on whether the aggravation is worth the dollars that you'd save. But if you're going to use that option, then now during the offseason is the time to use it.

Right now, on January 25, I'm sticking with YTTV (with Spectrum Internet). I don't know if I'll feel differently in 2 months, assuming nothing changes. I may jump to Spectrum TV and try to snag a promotion. I may just sit tight and listen on the radio. The price has skyrocketed, both for YTTV and Spectrum Internet. Spectrum knows it has many more customers now working from home and relying on their Internet more than ever, and they've responded with Internet price increases. In June 2020, my combo of YTTV and Spectrum Internet was $113/month. It currently sits at $139/month. I've made no service changes. All that's changed is I've lost the Reds but gained Viacom stations, which are a waste.

I've come to the conclusion that if you want to watch sports, then there is no free lunch when it comes to reasonably priced TV services. We had maybe 3 or 4 years where streaming paid off and we saved some money, but it seems that those days are over.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

14. Likes:

Always Red (02-26-2021),The Operator (01-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Also, I’m very close to getting rid of YouTubeTV as they’ve jacked up their prices twice, $15 each, over the last 18 months or so. Might swap out to Sling and bag sports altogether
    I'm heading in that direction quite rapidly, and they're making that decision rather easy for me. The whole thing boils down to finding new and inventive ways to reach deeper into the consumer's pocket. It's a terrible example of marketing a product for the consumer, and I'm fed up with it.

I've got YTTV, but only till Spring to see if anything is resolved with the RSNs. If not, then to hell with them. Like you said, they jerked their monthly fee up and the only reason I went to them was because Sling dropped the RSNs. I'll go back to SlingTV for half of what I'm paying YTTV. For me and the wife, streaming is the best option. But as the streaming market increased, they're slowing jacking up their monthly rates. But the good news is no contracts, so you can leave when you want.

I was watching 45 out of Dayton recently, and a message was scrolling across the bottom of the screen saying they were doing some sort of channel "realignment" or reconfiguration, and that those who use antenna need to do a new "search for channels" to insure they are receiving everything they can. So I did it, and it not only increased the number of Dayton stations I was getting, but I now also get Columbus and Lima stations - which makes me ecstatic, because any service I had, including streaming, my locals came from Dayton.

A few months back I upgraded my Spectrum internet from their standard internet ($75/month 60-200 Mbps dl speed/10 Mbps ul speed) to their Ultra ($90/month 300-400 Mbps dl speed 20 Mbps), and I definitely can tell a huge difference, especially for streaming.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

Always Red (02-26-2021)

MLB.TV subscription and the UNLOCATOR Smart DNS service for $5 a month. No blackouts.

Worked flawlessly for me last year.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    MLB.TV subscription and the UNLOCATOR Smart DNS service for $5 a month. No blackouts.

Worked flawlessly for me last year.
    I have a different vpn installed but haven’t tried to use it yet
    That’s my backup plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The only streaming option left is AT&T TV, and honestly they're worse than cable. They lock you into a two year agreement, and the second year is a massive price increase (nearly double the first year). Then there's hidden fees that are difficult to identify unless you order. It's basically DirectTV masquerading as a streaming option.

Hard pass right there.

So that leaves Spectrum and Cincinnati Bell ...

Right now my mindset is if the Reds are in cost-cutting mode and have no plans to put a contending club on the field in 2021, then honestly I might go into cost-cutting mode myself and avoid going out of my way to spend $$$ on a TV product just to watch them field a sub .500 team again.
    Sounds like based on their past you may only pay for TV once every 10 years or so. Save for a vacation!
    Last edited by tripleaaaron; 01-28-2021 at 09:19 PM.

20. Likes:

Crumbley (01-30-2021)

I have NordVPN. Would I be able to get an MLB.TV subscription to watch my "local" team (Reds) with it? Do they base it on your ISP or area code?

22. Likes:

Always Red (01-30-2021)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have NordVPN. Would I be able to get an MLB.TV subscription to watch my "local" team (Reds) with it? Do they base it on your ISP or area code?
    I have the same question, GAC
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I have the same question, GAC
    I did some research and founnd this concerning using a VPN and MLB.TV blackouts..... https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...t%20in%20place.

A VPN, or virtual private network, reroutes all of a device’s internet traffic through a location of the user’s choosing. Fans can make it look as though they are watching from a different state or even country in order to bypass the blackout. A VPN will make it appear as though you are streaming the game from a different location where blackouts are not in place.
    Again, I have NordVPN. I just click on United States and it connects me to server(s) there. Or you can go in and specifically designate a region/state. I use the auto-connect, and right now my server/ISP is St. Louis, Missouri. I'd say you have to insure the ISP you're listed in is not in the blackout region. If so, change it.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?