Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: How ' bout Jose Garcia?

Re: How ' bout Jose Garcia?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know Iglesias is beloved around here but he ended up with just an okay year offensively last year (which doubles as a career year for him) and hitting 13 doubles in less than 100 ABs this year screams fluke. Obviously I'd rather have him over Galvis right now but that's less a talent evaluation issue and more of a **** happens one.
    Iglesias had a hot start last year as well, and as you said, faded to around his career numbers. But his career numbers are almost identical over to Galvis. He also provided better defense, which is what the Reds need this year. Many here were wanting the Reds to pick him over Galvis, so it isn’t Monday morning quarterbacking.

A big part of running a baseball team is making choice between players. This is just another example of the Reds making a poor choice.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How about the need to bring up Garcia in the first place?

Being so thin at shortstop they had no other feasible option when they soured on Galvis as starter.

These might be things to be unhappy about.
    It was clear all off-season that they were very thin in the middle infield. I chuckled when they identified Farmer as the backup shortstop.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Omg Iglesias. He’s riding the luck ridden Peraza year that people here have fallen in love with before. It’s not a repeataple skill set. He has like 3 walks and no homers.

He’s not the answer and it’s obvious. Too bad we didn’t strike lighting in a bottle. It’s all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

5. Likes:

HammerTime (09-08-2020),RedlegJake (09-08-2020),RiverRat13 (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Omg Iglesias. He’s riding the luck ridden Peraza year that people here have fallen in love with before. It’s not a repeataple skill set. He has like 3 walks and no homers.

He’s not the answer and it’s obvious. Too bad we didn’t strike lighting in a bottle. It’s all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t think anyone wants him because of his hot start. People want him because career wise he’s just as productive as Galvis overall, brings a much better glove that the Reds desperately needs, and costs half as much. He may not be the “answer” but imo, he clearly was a better choice than Galvis.

On a side note, I’d also rather have him than Farmer or originally JVM or Colon as the backup to Galvis. Having him and Galvis would mean Garcia wouldn’t have been rushed.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’d take Iglesias over Galvis too, but I also doubt we’d have won any more games with him at SS than Galvis. They are wildly similar players in terms of overall production and there’s no point in being upset that we didn’t keep the guy who’s probably 1% better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t think anyone wants him because of his hot start. People want him because career wise he’s just as productive as Galvis overall, brings a much better glove that the Reds desperately needs, and costs half as much. He may not be the “answer” but imo, he clearly was a better choice than Galvis.

On a side note, I’d also rather have him than Farmer or originally JVM or Colon as the backup to Galvis. Having him and Galvis would mean Garcia wouldn’t have been rushed.
    I would still take Farmer and even JVM over Iglesias if we’re talking more than the next month of games.

8. Likes:

CySeymour (09-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d take Iglesias over Galvis too, but I also doubt we’d have won any more games with him at SS than Galvis. They are wildly similar players in terms of overall production and there’s no point in being upset that we didn’t keep the guy who’s probably 1% better.

- - - Updated - - -

I would still take Farmer and even JVM over Iglesias if we’re talking more than the next month of games.
    Yeah, I agree it’s not a big deal, but it’s another example of the Reds making a bad choice between players, and it’s a long list.

Speaking of repeatable skills, how's that career .291 OBP that Galvis sports working out for the team?

another analytically sound decision, there is a lot of "data" top support bell as a sabremetric student

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds saw him play all of last year. They are the one team that should know what he can do.

I agree no team expect him to hit as well as he has been hitting so far this year, but last year with the Reds he provided almost identical fWar as Galvis. The Reds saw both players last year and chose Galvis at twice the salary over Iglasias. That's a swing and a miss in terms of talent evaluation in my book.
    Jose, defensively, runs rings around Galvis IMO. Yeah, I hated losing Iglesias. And the Orioles signed him for $3M this year, and a club option for $3m next.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-08-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

mth123 (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Jose, defensively, runs rings around Galvis IMO.
    Both Jose's do. Galvis is OK, but not best idea for this team.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-08-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If Jose Iglesias had signed with the Reds he would be hitting .178 with 0 XBH and would have 27 errors. Because Reds.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If Jose Iglesias had signed with the Reds he would be hitting .178 with 0 XBH and would have 27 errors. Because Reds.
    He didn't do that while with the Reds. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He didn't do that while with the Reds. LOL
    It was a joke
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

GAC (09-12-2020),Old school 1983 (09-10-2020)

Turn Off Ads?