Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What’s the word on both his and Greene’s shoulder issues, have there been any updates since last week?
    Well they're both back pitching so I guess they're fine. Lodolo was good in his one inning of work, Hunter got kicked around in his few innings.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Well they're both back pitching so I guess they're fine. Lodolo was good in his one inning of work, Hunter got kicked around in his few innings.
    Yeah seems a little weird there hasn’t been any other word on it, no kind of “all clear” or whatever. But the fact that they’re on the field seems optimistic.

I think I’d be hesitant to bring them up for bullpen work in September as many have suggested all season, I don’t know if I’d want to put the high pressure and stress on them of a major league playoff chase coming off shoulder issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah seems a little weird there hasn’t been any other word on it, no kind of “all clear” or whatever. But the fact that they’re on the field seems optimistic.
    If they're back and pitching, wouldn't that be the sign they're "all clear"?

5. Likes:

membengal (08-23-2021),reds44 (08-24-2021)

Lodolo started and pitched 1 inning and struck out the side yesterday.

Could have simply been a innings limits thing and maybe they are getting him ready for MLB relief role? Seemed a little odd he only went 1 inning.

Lodolo is not pitching in the bigs this year. Crazy small chance Greene could though.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Lodolo started and pitched 1 inning and struck out the side yesterday.

Could have simply been a innings limits thing and maybe they are getting him ready for MLB relief role? Seemed a little odd he only went 1 inning.
    He started a day early because of Greene's suspension. Bats made it a bullpen day.

9. Likes:

HammerTime (08-23-2021)

The Reds need to play it safe with Lodolo and Greene with the focus being on 2022 and beyond. Vlad is the only current starter controlled beyond 2023, and I doubt the Reds would pony up for both Castillo and Mahle for contract extensions. As long as Greene and Lodolo are both big league ready by 2023 we should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The Reds need to play it safe with Lodolo and Greene with the focus being on 2022 and beyond. Vlad is the only current starter controlled beyond 2023, and I doubt the Reds would pony up for both Castillo and Mahle for contract extensions. As long as Greene and Lodolo are both big league ready by 2023 we should be fine.
    Agreed that the Reds should be careful, but really, there in a pretty solid spot right now. Having four guys (Gutierrez, Santillan, Greene, and Lodolo) ready or nearly-so for 2024 starts is pretty great. Especially since they'll largely be remarkably cheap. That could mean signing a true difference-maker on the free agent market (or, in the case of Castillo or Mahle, re-sign with a LTC), trading for someone (a la Sonny Gray), or spending that cash elsewhere. (Like, perhaps the bullpen).

They could well cheap out on the rotation and still be fine. By 2024, Graham Ashcraft, Riley O'Brien, Eduardo Salazar, Noah Davis, and more should be ready. (Even college arms from this draft like Abbott may well be ready by then.)

At the moment, the Reds have 5 starters and a bullpen that is looking much better. IMO, Greene and Lodolo will not be called up unless they are starters. Moreover, each has had recent health concerns. Plus, they are not on the 40 . Furthermore, I do not believe Greene and Lodolo must be added to the 40 at season's end. If the impress next spring, then add them to the 40 man roster and go north with them. Finally, O'Brien is on the 40 and is likely to get the first call if a spot starter is needed.

Note that Noah Davis went to the Rockies in the Givens trade.

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Lodolo is not pitching in the bigs this year. Crazy small chance Greene could though.
    Greene will be added to the 40-man roster after the season anyway, right? If I'm wrong, ignore the rest of this. I agree it's unlikely that Greene will be called up this season, but a lot of times teams will add players for the playoff push just for the experience. And if he dominates his next couple starts combined with an injury to the MLB rotation, who knows what happens? Maybe Santillan or Hoffman gets another chance, but if the race is tight, you're going to be really tempted to call up Greene, even if it's a bullpen game. And if service time manipulation is a thing, all the other starters are under team control next season, so you can theoretically keep him in AAA for long enough to maintain another season of team control.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Greene will be added to the 40-man roster after the season anyway, right? If I'm wrong, ignore the rest of this. I agree it's unlikely that Greene will be called up this season, but a lot of times teams will add players for the playoff push just for the experience. And if he dominates his next couple starts combined with an injury to the MLB rotation, who knows what happens? Maybe Santillan or Hoffman gets another chance, but if the race is tight, you're going to be really tempted to call up Greene, even if it's a bullpen game. And if service time manipulation is a thing, all the other starters are under team control next season, so you can theoretically keep him in AAA for long enough to maintain another season of team control.
    Does the year that Greene was not competing when he was recovering from TJ surgery count toward service time?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Correct. Hunter Greene must be added to the 40 man roster this November to protect him from the upcoming Rule 5 draft (assuming there will be one in the new CBA).

Lodolo, however, doesn't have to be added until November of 2022.

That's why I said there is a small chance Greene makes an appearance in the bigs this year (or in the playoffs) but probably zero chance we see Lodolo (not to say Lodolo won't have his contract purchased prior to that 11/22 date).

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Does the year that Greene was not competing when he was recovering from TJ surgery count toward service time?
    As far as Rule 9?....the "7" minor league seasons he's under contract for until he reaches minor league free agency?

Yes. Though that shouldn't matter, he'll be added to the 40 man roster long before that date arrives. In some crazy scenario where he's not added (and somehow not taken via Rule 5) he'd be a Rule 9 MiLB free agent at the end of the 2023 season.

28 man roster. Assuming Antone and Winker are getting those last two in September. (Antone now with Santillan back down and then Santillan back-up again in September). Unless they are willing to cut bait on some guys like Doolittle or Garrrett (and they've put up with them all year, so why cut bait now?) there really isn't room for Greene or Lodolo (or Senzel if he's ever healthy).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    28 man roster. Assuming Antone and Winker are getting those last two in September. (Antone now with Santillan back down and then Santillan back-up again in September). Unless they are willing to cut bait on some guys like Doolittle or Garrrett (and they've put up with them all year, so why cut bait now?) there really isn't room for Greene or Lodolo (or Senzel if he's ever healthy).
    There's absolutely room for Senzel. No team needs 10 relief pitchers, let alone one with 5 competent starters.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?