Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Umm, what?

A quick glance at the minor league leaderboards kind of indicate that spin has really been effective.
    Doesn't seem to be doing a lot for the big league club. Probably not fair, but the guy that sticks out as "We identified our guy" is Lucas Sims, and thus far he's hardly been great. None of the other acquired spin guys have been diamonds in the rough.

I'm sure we could have a nice discussion about where we should be seeing the effects of the spin emphasis, but at the end of the day I only really care about good major league pitching. Here's hoping that lights-out Dragons pitching staff matures and leads us to everlasting glory.

That said, hope they keep Boddy around for a while and see this through. It's not like they have any better ideas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Doesn't seem to be doing a lot for the big league club. Probably not fair, but the guy that sticks out as "We identified our guy" is Lucas Sims, and thus far he's hardly been great. None of the other acquired spin guys have been diamonds in the rough.

I'm sure we could have a nice discussion about where we should be seeing the effects of the spin emphasis, but at the end of the day I only really care about good major league pitching. Here's hoping that lights-out Dragons pitching staff matures and leads us to everlasting glory.

That said, hope they keep Boddy around for a while and see this through. It's not like they have any better ideas.
    It's going to take a lot more time to see if this whole thing pays out. Our entirely new development structure has seen one 6 round draft and a month of minor league ball.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    It's going to take a lot more time to see if this whole thing pays out. Our entirely new development structure has seen one 6 round draft and a month of minor league ball.
    Holding out hope.

As a lifelong Reds fan, I am constitutionally pessimistic.

Doesn't seem to be doing a lot for the big league club.
    TJ Antone says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    TJ Antone says hi.
    The Reds are third in Runs Allowed (fourth in Earned Runs Allowed). So, while there may be some isolated success stories, it's not like Spincinnati is going gangbusters.

I get that it may take some time, but call me crazy for being skeptical the Reds have unearthed a strategic advantage. The reign of Banana King Bob hardly inspires confidence.

However, there does seem to be some good young arms not far out, like Lodolo (and that may well be the influence of spin).

The Reds are third in Runs Allowed (fourth in Earned Runs Allowed). So, while there may be some isolated success stories, it's not like Spincinnati is going gangbusters.

I get that it may take some time, but call me crazy for being skeptical the Reds have unearthed a strategic advantage. The reign of Banana King Bob hardly inspires confidence.

However, there does seem to be some good young arms not far out, like Lodolo (and that may well be the influence of spin).
    The peripherals look a lot better than the small sample would have you believe.

The proof is in the pudding, but the peripherals themselves do inspire confidence. So does last season.

What is the expectation for Lodolo to make him MLB debut? Not sure how many recall, but when we drafted Lodolo, ,most thought it was between him and Alek Manoah. Since Mahonah (drafted by Blue Jays) played @ WVU, I have been tracking both for comparison and they have both been similarly dominant this season. Manoah in AAA and Lodolo in AA...but again, very similar and Manoah was scheduled to make his debut tonight starting against the Yankees. It was rained out, but I assume he will start one of the double header games tomorrow. If the Reds continue to struggle, is it more likely Lodolo will get called up sooner or later.....or does their play even play into the decision?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I’d give Lodolo 2-3 more outings and assuming continued dominance I’d bump him and Jose Garcia up to AAA no later than 30 days from now.

Both could easily (and probably should) be on next year’s Opending Day roster so long as they can hold their own in Louisville for the last three months of the season.

Hunter I would let continue to hone his craft in Chattanooga, at least until some time in July. He still has PLENTY of time.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-27-2021 at 12:10 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

BillDoran (05-27-2021)

Garcia is hurt and hasn’t played in like a week
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Garcia is hurt and hasn’t played in like a week
    Not sure if he's injured or not, but he's on the Temporary Inactive List and not the minor league IL. With no announcement, that sounds like COVID issues to me, but it could be anything.
    Last edited by Moose Herd; 05-27-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Not sure if he's injured or not, but he's on the Temporary Inactive List and not the minor league IL. With no announcement, that sounds like COVID issues to me, but it could be anything.
    Good catch, Moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I’d give Lodolo 2-3 more outings and assuming continued dominance I’d bump him and Jose Garcia up to AAA no later than 30 days from now.

Both could easily (and probably should) be on next year’s Opending Day roster so long as they can hold their own in Louisville for the last three months of the season.

Hunter I would let continue to hone his craft in Chattanooga, at least until some time in July. He still has PLENTY of time.
    Maybe we should speed up the Lodolo time frame....Manoah was dominant in his debut against the Yankees. It was a 7 inning double header, he went 6 innings, 0 Runs, 2 Hits, 7 K's, and 2 Walks on 88 pitches. He would have easily completed the 7 innings as he was still throwing heat in the 6th. Both hits were to Miguel Andújar as he shut down the top of their lineup.

He made Judge look silly on this at bat...

https://twitter.com/TrueRGM/status/1398013344058023940

I know it is never apples to apples, but looking at each of their performances since being drafted, it is very similar. So there has to be some logic in bringing up Lodolo this season?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Could be Covid for Garcia. But could also very well be he's playing for a National Team. His status is "Temporary Inactive List" which is exact same status as Kolosvary who is playing for US National Team.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Could be Covid for Garcia. But could also very well be he's playing for a National Team. His status is "Temporary Inactive List" which is exact same status as Kolosvary who is playing for US National Team.
    But isn’t Garcia Cuban? I don’t think he is allowed to play for them since he defected, no?

Speaking of which, Cuba’s best player just defected two days ago when they arrived in Florida for Olympic qualifying. A 22 year old infielder who led the Cuban league in batting average last season with a .406 avg with decent power. Hopefully the reds can get in on him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

M2 (05-29-2021)

Forgot he was Cuban....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?