Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 96

Thread: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's important that these guys succeed on those last rungs of the minor league ladder.

    Theoretically, the additions of Garcia (for Galvis), Stephenson (for Barnhart), and Lodolo (for Bauer) would mean $23M or so to be spent on a free agent.
    Agree and really hope those three slot into the major league roles by Opening Day 2021.

    However long of a shot that may be, the $23 million figure assumes the Reds will maintain this payroll going forward. I don't think that's the case. I think we'll see the Reds pick and choose their spots in the future. They'll run the payroll up from time-to-time, but I'd imagine they'll remain in the bottom-third as far as payroll goes.

    For some context, they're currently at $134 million, putting them 16th, behind the Padres and ahead of the Twins. Last year, they were at $128 (17th), and that's as far back as Sportrac will let me go without paying. So, maybe the Reds haven't broke the bank this year like I thought they did.

    Either way, Garcia, Stephenson and Lodolo are important to the near-future of the team. Greene, though not as urgent, has a really big year ahead as well. With the depleted system, it becomes that much more important for the gems to materialiize.

  2. Likes:

    REDREAD (03-10-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    Member HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Agree and really hope those three slot into the major league roles by Opening Day 2021.

    However long of a shot that may be, the $23 million figure assumes the Reds will maintain this payroll going forward. I don't think that's the case. I think we'll see the Reds pick and choose their spots in the future. They'll run the payroll up from time-to-time, but I'd imagine they'll remain in the bottom-third as far as payroll goes.

    For some context, they're currently at $134 million, putting them 16th, behind the Padres and ahead of the Twins. Last year, they were at $128 (17th), and that's as far back as Sportrac will let me go without paying. So, maybe the Reds haven't broke the bank this year like I thought they did.

    Either way, Garcia, Stephenson and Lodolo are important to the near-future of the team. Greene, though not as urgent, has a really big year ahead as well. With the depleted system, it becomes that much more important for the gems to materialiize.
    Year Opening Day 26-man Year End 40-man CB Tax 40-man
    2020 $141,417,381 (16) $ ( ) $161,414,405 (14)
    2019 $126,673,214 (15) $135,364,998 (15) $150,543,649 (15)
    2018 $101,337,500 (22) $101,177,169 (24) $111,594,229 (25)
    2017 $ 95,375,786 (25) $ 99,951,375 (24) $108,415,573 (25)
    2016 $ 89,871,228 (25) $ 91,874,487 (26) $101,320,745 (28)
    2015 $115,373,953 (16) $118,858,360 (17) $142,347,016 (14)
    2014 $114,170,439 (11) $115,358,029 (12) $141,424,382 (11)
    2013 $106,855,533 (13) $116,137,930 (13) $132,787,186 (12)
    2012 $ 87,826,167 (18) $ 88,106,393 (20) $118,770,061 (12)
    2011 $ 80,826,667 (20) $ 81,621,587 (19)
    2010 $ 76,151,500 (18) $ 82,451,340 (19)
    2009 $ 73,558,500 (22) $ 72,693,206 (24)
    2008 $ 74,117,695 (19) $ 82,886,440 (16)
    2007 $ 68,904,980 (22) $ 73,072,635 (19)
    2006 $ 60,909,519 (21) $ 63,697,573 (22)
    2005 $ 61,892,583 (17) $ 49,501,275 (23)
    2004 $ 46,615,250 (23) $ 46,264,032 (24)
    2003 $ 59,355,667 (17) $ 65,083,196 (19)
    2002 $ 45,050,390 (23) $ 46,310,698 (23)
    2001 $ 48,986,000 (21) $ 43,964,870 (24)
    2000 $ 44,200,000 (22) $ 42,317,800 (22)

    https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...ncinnati-reds/

  5. Likes:

    BillDoran (03-10-2020)

  6. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    FWIW: Average Opening Day 26-man since 2000: 19.333
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-10-2020 at 03:18 PM.

  7. #19
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,907

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Poor Toledo.
    Jamie Farr- the face of Toledo


  8. #20
    Member texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18,594

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Ridiculous bump. Nick Lodolo follows Hunter Greene as the AA-South Pitcher of the week. Those two will forever be tied at the hip.

  9. #21
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,518

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Ridiculous bump. Nick Lodolo follows Hunter Greene as the AA-South Pitcher of the week. Those two will forever be tied at the hip.
    I do believe Mr. Lodolo has himself a new ceiling.
    Now begins the winter of our discombobulation.

  10. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I do believe Mr. Lodolo has himself a new ceiling.
    Never understood the bearish takes on Lodolo. Good stuff, good command, great size, great makeup, pedigree (two-time first round pick, college all-American). Very limited innings, but he's done nothing but dominate in his professional innings. Derek Johnson speaks highly of him.

    Thus far, 1.59 ERA, 14.3 K/9, 1.3 BB/9 in 34.0 IP.

    He's kinda like Tyler Mahle, an easy guy to bet on. Might not have Cy Young-ceiling, but he's going to continue to improve, and Lodolo has a pretty good foundation to improve upon. He doesn't Greene's fastball, but you mix his command with above-average stuff; hard not to see a bright future.

  11. Likes:

    DocRed (05-26-2021),M2 (05-25-2021),RiverRat13 (05-26-2021)

  12. #23
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    33,638

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Hard not be excited by Lodolo but I have to admit I've still got some PTSD from Cody Reed who I really thought was a can't miss guy with the left-handed stuff he flashed in the minors. Reminding myself though that Reed was a late bloomer while Lodolo has always been a highly-touted arm and is, to date, even more dominant that Reed was in the minors. Also Lodolo doesn't have those stupid goggles.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  13. Likes:

    TRF (05-26-2021),westofyou (05-25-2021)

  14. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    F ya Lodolo...dealing again 2nigt

  15. #25
    Member podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Never understood the bearish takes on Lodolo. Good stuff, good command, great size, great makeup, pedigree (two-time first round pick, college all-American). Very limited innings, but he's done nothing but dominate in his professional innings. Derek Johnson speaks highly of him.

    Thus far, 1.59 ERA, 14.3 K/9, 1.3 BB/9 in 34.0 IP.

    He's kinda like Tyler Mahle, an easy guy to bet on. Might not have Cy Young-ceiling, but he's going to continue to improve, and Lodolo has a pretty good foundation to improve upon. He doesn't Greene's fastball, but you mix his command with above-average stuff; hard not to see a bright future.
    Agreed.

    Something I've always wondered is if these high floor prospects that don't excite people often reach high ceilings far more often than the high ceiling prospects do.

    Joey Votto, Tyler Mahle, Jesse Winker (maybe doesn't count here, this might be his expected ceiling anyway), Todd Frazier, Eugenio Suarez.

  16. #26
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Are high floor guys the new market inefficiency?
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball" -- Annie Savoy (Bull Durham)
    "Not knowing what something is, is not evidence that you know what that thing is" -- NdGT

  17. Likes:

    CySeymour (05-26-2021),podgejeff_ (05-26-2021)

  18. #27
    Member podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Are high floor guys the new market inefficiency?
    I don't know. I'd still rather have Hunter Greene even though Keston Hiura and Adam Haseley are doing things already.

    But it does seem to me like high floor prospects tend to get less respect when they often end up very valuable players and surpass a lot of expectations.

    Mike Leake also worked out pretty well.

  19. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Never understood the bearish takes on Lodolo. Good stuff, good command, great size, great makeup, pedigree (two-time first round pick, college all-American). Very limited innings, but he's done nothing but dominate in his professional innings. Derek Johnson speaks highly of him.

    Thus far, 1.59 ERA, 14.3 K/9, 1.3 BB/9 in 34.0 IP.

    He's kinda like Tyler Mahle, an easy guy to bet on. Might not have Cy Young-ceiling, but he's going to continue to improve, and Lodolo has a pretty good foundation to improve upon. He doesn't Greene's fastball, but you mix his command with above-average stuff; hard not to see a bright future.
    I honestly believe that so called National "Experts" automatically discount or penalize Reds prospects simply because they are Reds. Not kidding...I really believe they do this. Put the same kid in Yankees pinstripes and its good for an auto 20 spot bump.

  20. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Are high floor guys the new market inefficiency?
    It's an interesting thought, for sure (cuz spin doesn't appear to be the magical edge we hoped). I think it brings us back to foundational prospect discussion.

    A high floor guy with plus-plus makeup (smart and hard-working), sign me up every day. A guy with an elite skill, a good secondary skill and so-so makeup, I like that too. You probably need a mix. If you had a team of Mike Leakes, you'd probably win exactly 81 games every single year.

    The hard part is makeup is kind of a BS trait and tough to read. It obviously can't overcome a lack of talent. Otherwise, that glut of guys that play the right way wouldn't stall out in the middle of the minors. It's way too early, but I think Jackson Miller, last year's sandwich pick, is a good test case. He's a 6-foot, 195-pound catcher with no obvious plus skills. He had some ties to the organization (or a particular scout), and we're told he's a leader, a grinder, a guy who does it the right way. To me, he's an example of a guy with too much riding on makeup. Chris Okey feels like a similar example further down the line. I'm sure he's working his ass off. Unfortunately, he can't hit a baseball like a professional.

    Anyways, Lodolo is a great mix of stuff and makeup. I still don't expect he'll be an all-star, but I think he has a bright future.

  21. #30
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7,105

    Re: "Lodolo a Fast Mover?"- Fangraphs

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    It's an interesting thought, for sure (cuz spin doesn't appear to be the magical edge we hoped). .
    Umm, what?

    A quick glance at the minor league leaderboards kind of indicate that spin has really been effective.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator