Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

And Blandino and AlfRod.

Or did you miss that. Including them was the point.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The trouble with spring training stats is that you can interpret them any way you want, and most folks will twist them to mean whatever they want them to mean. I cannot begin to count the number of times that I have heard folks say, "The hitters are ahead of the pitchers, right now." Or, "The pitchers are ahead of the hitters, right now." I've read BOTH statements at least a couple of times in posts written this spring.

I agree that spring training stats ought to be taken with a big grain of salt. Especially for veterans who have poor spring numbers. However, for younger players, good spring numbers COULD be an indication of potential.

I will use AlfRod as an example. The knock on him has always been his lack of hitting. Yet, this spring, he has hit ... and hit pretty well. Now we all have heard the old argument, "Pitchers are 'working on things.' in spring training." Pitchers may well be 'working on things,' but those guys didn't get where they are by collectively allowing guys with lifetime .250 OBP, suddenly become .385 OBP guys.

Now I am absolutely not at all saying that AlfRod is some "hitting guru" in disguise, who will come out of nowhere to win batting titles; no. But I will say that perhaps AlfRod MIGHT develop into a little better hitter than folks have given him credit for, at least well enough to become a useful utility infielder.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

4. Likes:

GAC (03-13-2020),RedlegJake (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Pitchers may well be 'working on things,' but those guys didn't get where they are by collectively allowing guys with lifetime .250 OBP, suddenly become .385 OBP guys.
    Over small samples of PA, sure they do. Even Juan Castro hit well sometimes.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

6. Likes:

MikeS21 (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Over small samples of PA, sure they do. Even Juan Castro hit well sometimes.
    Every game is a small sample size in itself. And even Juan Castro probably appeared on Joe Nuxhall's "Star of the Game" show a time or two.

It does kinda blow my mind how that Juan Castro could last 18 seasons in the majors leagues with a lifetime OBS+ of 55.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-05-2020),SteelSD (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    it takes talent to hit all those homers in a month, let me know when winker and senzel combine to hit that many homers in a month
    Or when Senzel hits that many in a season...

Realized I found and posted in an old minor league Aquino thread:

Watching the 1995 ALDS game 5 between NYY and SEA on YouTube. Caught the last minute of the earlier broadcast on MLB network and had serious FOMO and was lucky enough to find it.

Aquino’s swing is modeled after Jay Buhner’s I am convinced. A Buhner like career would be a nice outcome.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I sure hope they don't trade him then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-01-2020),Chip R (04-01-2020),Griffey012 (04-02-2020),OGB (04-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    (Sees thread. Checks out first page of thread...thinks it's a parody. Continues through thread and realizes it's not a parody. Some are really, really high on Aquino. Causally checks out Aquino's ST stats...[.087/.222/.087/.309]. Closes thread)
    And 2 years later here we are again...

How quickly I forgot about Bruce B.’s undying love for Aquino.

he's a bum. it's not even debatable at this point

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    he's a bum. it's not even debatable at this point
    Yeah… he’s closed off his stance to get a better look at the breaking stuff and now he can’t catch up to the fastball.

Does anyone else think we’ll eventually release him and he’ll resurface for SF or TOR in three or four years and be a 40-HR guy? Cuz that’s the feeling I get…

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Yeah… he’s closed off his stance to get a better look at the breaking stuff and now he can’t catch up to the fastball.

Does anyone else think we’ll eventually release him and he’ll resurface for SF or TOR in three or four years and be a 40-HR guy? Cuz that’s the feeling I get…
    he has japan or korea written all over him. he'll do well there.

Turn Off Ads?