Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day and The Coronavirus

Re: Opening Day and The Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    It's called a panic stirred by the media
    I beg to differ, it's a real thing that people are dying from

2. Likes:

membengal (03-09-2020),pahster (03-09-2020),wolfboy (03-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I know the Midwest has been hit less with this than other areas, but in Washington this is what's going on

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...nd-the-nation/

Here’s the breakdown by county from the state’s updated numbers:

King: 83 cases, including 17 deaths
    Snohomish: 31 cases, including 1 death
    Pierce: four cases, no deaths
    Grant: one case, no deaths
    Jefferson: one case, no deaths
    Clark: one case, no deaths
    Spokane: one case, no deaths
    Kittitas: one case, no deaths
    Unassigned to a county: 13 cases

5. Likes:

Larkin Fan (03-09-2020),Redsfaithful (03-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I know the Midwest has been hit less with this than other areas, but in Washington this is what's going on

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...nd-the-nation/

Here’s the breakdown by county from the state’s updated numbers:

King: 83 cases, including 17 deaths
    Snohomish: 31 cases, including 1 death
    Pierce: four cases, no deaths
    Grant: one case, no deaths
    Jefferson: one case, no deaths
    Clark: one case, no deaths
    Spokane: one case, no deaths
    Kittitas: one case, no deaths
    Unassigned to a county: 13 cases
    Not to make light, but I think the majority of the deaths were from a particular nursing home.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Not to make light, but I think the majority of the deaths were from a particular nursing home.
    Correct, all the employees (over 70) had contact with it and hit the streets of a giant metro area. It's also cold enough for it to linger. As I said prior I work for a Hospital system that is based in Wash/Or and people are freaking out. I also have two parents over 80 living in the area, that's the age group most likely to be affected. So yes, it's a high grade flu, it's not The Stand by Stephen King, but it's also not a media generated event

8. Likes:

Bacon (03-09-2020),wlf WV (03-08-2020)

Correct, all the employees (over 70) had contact with it and hit the streets of a giant metro area. It's also cold enough for it to linger. As I said prior I work for a Hospital system that is based in Wash/Or and people are freaking out. I also have two parents over 80 living in the area, that's the age group most likely to be affected. So yes, it's a high grade flu, it's not The Stand by Stephen King, but it's also not a media generated event
    My clock's been ticking for quite a while...68 with very severe COPD. It's DNR time.

10. Likes:

cincinnati chili (03-10-2020)

I can understand your concern and if I was in your situation I would be also. What concerns me is how this is being sold as a crisis to all people regardless of their health or chance of contracting it. I fear the real crisis here is that the problem will be the over reaction. I have lived long enough to see the false crisises manufactured by the media and government. Remember Ebola just a few years ago? How about Y2K and the failure of all computers and our society being sent back to the Stone Age? The Aids crisis of the 80s that created a campaign to terrorize middle America that wasn't participating in risky behaviors? I am even old enough to remember Jimmy Carter addressing the country from the Oval Office while wearing a sweater and telling the nation to set their thermostats down to 65 to conserve energy because the world was running out of oil. I could go on but I am not going to drink the media Kool Aide and subscribe to panic
    Yeah, HIV and AIDS was just a media manufactured nothing.

Wowzer.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Wowzer.
    And so was the oil shortage and lines at the gas pumps. Truth is, we don’t know what this strain will do, hence the apprehension.
    May the Lord bless

Italy had 20 confirmed cases around 2 weeks ago. Now a quarter of its population is under quarantine. Yep, nothing to see here.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-09-2020),Larkin Fan (03-09-2020),RedTeamGo! (03-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Wowzer.
    Putting aside that insanity, even the rest of the list is laughable, like yes if you were buying into ebola hype and got burned (and that has always been an incredibly, incredibly dangerous disease with oubreaks contained with incredible heroism and much death and suffering) then I guess your brain isn't qualified to understand what is media hype and what isn't, but most of us can tell the difference. Why do I feel like the people calling this media hype were really worried about migrant caravans in 2018?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

16. Likes:

Chip R (03-09-2020),membengal (03-09-2020),OhioRiverBarge (03-09-2020),TRF (03-11-2020)

Ah, just drink some bleach and c'mon!

If you're a normal healthy adult, you, for the most part, you have very little to worry about. Very young pre-school children, the elderly and those with chronic disease are a different matter though Like the flu, the average person shouldn't have much to worry about, but folks in nursing homes, people with pulmonary/respiratory issues or compromised immune systems are very justified in being concerned.

I live with and help care for my elderly parents. I've had some health issues myself over the last decade as well. If we were infected, I'd think the chances of our surviving aren't great.

19. Likes:

redsrule2500 (03-09-2020),Sea Ray (03-09-2020)

As an individual, you should have been significantly more concerned about the flu during last year's opening day than coronavirus in 2020. This is beyond stupid.

That's the data.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

21. Likes:

Bacon (03-09-2020),HammerTime (03-09-2020),Sea Ray (03-09-2020)

Don't forget the Democrats created all of this...

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    As an individual, you should have been significantly more concerned about the flu during last year's opening day than coronavirus in 2020. This is beyond stupid.

That's the data.
    But as a business it's being approached differently, that's also the "data" in this discussion

https://theathletic.com/1662485/2020...bout-covid-19/

The baseball experience has already changed because of the coronavirus. Some players are avoiding the usual spring training fare of handshakes and autograph signings as a precaution. Instead, some players have handed out pre-signed items.

The Italian government said last week that all sporting events in the country must be played without fans in the stadiums until at least April 3.

NBA players have adjusted their routines as well.

24. Likes:

Cherokee (03-09-2020),OhioRiverBarge (03-09-2020)

It's not the media causing the Markets to drop. This virus spreads fast and fairly easily and attitudes calling it "fake news" will just facilitate the spread. The stock markets are reacting because they know that it's not the morbidity rate that is the biggest issue (for them). They've known since before the press really even started covering it, the hard steps that will have to happen if the spread crosses a certain threshold.

Schools are already closing, people are cutting back on dining out, the movies, etc. At some point, concerts, major sporting events, festivals and similar will start to cancel (or in the case of sports), play to restricted or no audiences. Public/Private Transportation are also going to take a huge hit.

That's just a short list, but if the numbers of infected/dead grow exponentially the effect could be catastrophic. Blaming the media, calling it fake news and lying about the numbers will only make the situation worse.

26. Likes:

Larkin Fan (03-09-2020),mth123 (03-09-2020),OhioRiverBarge (03-09-2020),Redsfaithful (03-09-2020),wolfboy (03-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?