Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001

Thread: Opening Day and The Coronavirus

Re: Opening Day and The Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Man, I feel you 100%. It feels like if we could have at least had sports to take our minds off of things this would all look a little more bearable.
    Me? I'm just carrying a spray can of Lysol for the cart! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-16-2020),cumberlandreds (03-16-2020),North (03-16-2020),paintmered (03-16-2020),Redsfaithful (03-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Just want to throw this out there in case some haven't thought about it. Rather humorous if you ask me (lol) ....

Went down to check on my 91 yr old Mom the other day and she was in the kitchen washing her money (change), and wiping down the bills in disinfectant... "Money is one of the dirtiest germ carriers!" she told me.

You do the best you can to improve your public sanitary habits, protect yourself ... and when you think you're doing a pretty good job? You're made aware of something like this. Thanks Mom!

I saw it told by others, didn't hear it personally, that people were told to have groceries for three weeks? If true - and I'm not necessarily saying it was an unwise decision. You're trying to inform the public as best you can - but the majority, on average, only carry one week of grocery. If you're told to have three weeks, then there's the "culprit" for the manic/panic emptying of store shelves. That's a lot (per family) if one thinks about it.

So maybe now, after this initial stampede, stores adjust their hours to sanitize and re-stock, we'll see more sufficient supplies.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-16-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-16-2020),KittyDuran (03-19-2020),NebraskaRed (03-16-2020),Redsfaithful (03-16-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Coronavirus can stay infectious for days on surfaces. But it’s still okay to check your mail.

Scientists studying the novel coronavirus are quickly uncovering features that allow it to infect and sicken human beings. Every virus has a signature way of interacting with the world, and this one — SARS-CoV-2, which causes the disease covid-19 — is well-equipped to create a historic pandemic.

The coronavirus can be shed by people even before they develop symptoms. That pre-symptomatic transmission has helped it become a stealth contagion, spreading through communities before they know what hit them.

The coronavirus may take many days — up to 14 — before an infection flares into symptoms, and although most people recover without a serious illness, this is not a bug that comes and goes quickly. A serious case of covid-19 can last for weeks.

The virus lurks in the body even after people feel better. A new study in the Lancet, based on research in China, found that the median length of time the virus remains in the respiratory tract of a patient after symptoms begin is 20 days. Among patients who survived the disease, the virus continued to be shed for between eight and 37 days. (The study did not reach any conclusions on whether and to what extent this persistence could lead to infections in other people.)
    Munster and his colleagues have been studying the novel coronavirus under laboratory conditions to better understand its viability outside a host organism — in the air and on surfaces.

Those experiments found that at least some coronavirus can potentially remain viable — capable of infecting a person — for up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

When aerosolized into fine, floating particles, the virus remained viable for three hours. On a copper surface, it was four hours, the study found. The median length of viability for the virus on stainless steel was 13 hours, and 16 hours on polypropylene, a common type of plastic.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people take steps to clean and disinfect surfaces. But the durability of some coronavirus on a surface does not mean that it remains just as infectious as the hours go by. Most virus particles degrade in a matter of minutes or hours outside a living host, and the quantity of infectious particles goes down exponentially over time.

Although it is theoretically possible for a person to become infected a day or two after someone has deposited virus particles (for example, by sneezing) on a surface, it is much less likely than in the first couple of hours after the sneeze, said Munster.

“The risk of becoming infected via these routes of transmission reduces over time,” Munster said. ‘That window of becoming infected is highest in the first 10 minutes, or one hour or two hours.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

DocRed (03-16-2020),KittyDuran (03-19-2020)

Obviously those are under perfect conditions in a lab. Anytime you're bringing outside objects into your home you should be washing your hands anyways.

There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-16-2020),Cherokee (03-16-2020),Chip R (03-16-2020),cumberlandreds (03-16-2020),dubc47834 (03-16-2020),OhioRiverBarge (03-16-2020),paintmered (03-16-2020),Ron Madden (03-16-2020),SunDeck (03-16-2020),wolfboy (03-16-2020)

First day of working from home going well. I feel like I’m actually more productive, not BS’ng with coworkers at all, just getting stuff done. Even getting to hang out with my family for a few minutes here and there.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

KittyDuran (03-19-2020)

Our own Trevor Bauer and his agent had a discussion about what this means for players and teams. It's over 20 minutes long but very interesting and raises a lot of good questions they have no answers to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ik1sdi0nw

One thing to consider if MLB does begin the season in the middle of summer is if they have teams go to FLA and AZ for a "spring" training, it's going to be summer there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

This thread is 67 pages long, so I apologize if this has already been covered (), but what is your over/under on when opening day happens? (IF it happens!). Let's say July 1. Over or under?
    Last edited by Boston Red; 03-16-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: June 1 was too soon to make it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This thread is 67 pages long, so I apologize if this has already been covered (), but what is your over/under on when opening day happens? (IF it happens!). Let's say June 1. Over or under?
    Over

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This thread is 67 pages long, so I apologize if this has already been covered (), but what is your over/under on when opening day happens? (IF it happens!). Let's say June 1. Over or under?
    Over

Yeah, let's change that to July 1. With the CDC saying we shouldn't get together with 50 people for 8 weeks, June 1 seems an obvious over.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The NFL draft is going to happen, but in a very limited way. Not open to the public, no public events surrounding it. Will still be on TV - but not entirely sure how it will play out at this moment as far as how it will be operated. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-closed-public

Turn Off Ads?