Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2020 Part 2: March Madness!

Re: College Basketball 2020 Part 2: March Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I always think you have the tournament. Mid major tournaments are great, and those guys get more eyeballs in their tournament than they do all season. I know the WCC has recently been a 2 bid league, but San Francisco is not one of those teams and they nearly just knocked off Gonzaga and would have been one win away from an auto bid. Finally, without the tournament and tournament seeding, many teams would have nothing to really play for halfway through the season.....but with the tournament, they always have that carrot out there....because it is always better to be a 5 Seed instead of a 9 Seed.
    I get what you're saying. And don't get me wrong, I love this time of year in college basketball. But it's akin to the NFL playing a 16-game regular season and then each division playing a single-elimination tourney in Week 17 and 18 to determine division champion.

So the 2-14 Bengals still have a chance at the end of the year if they play out of their minds and catch the 12-4 Ravens on a bad day in January.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I get what you're saying. And don't get me wrong, I love this time of year in college basketball. But it's akin to the NFL playing a 16-game regular season and then each division playing a single-elimination tourney in Week 17 and 18 to determine division champion.

So the 2-14 Bengals still have a chance at the end of the year if they play out of their minds and catch the 12-4 Ravens on a bad day in January.
    you clearly have a point, but then again we select the college national champion in a single elimination tournament also. I think there are many years we could debate if the best team really won the championship. I would take the 2014-15 UK team over any team that has won a title in the 21st Century.....yet they lost a game in the tournament and won nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    you clearly have a point, but then again we select the college national champion in a single elimination tournament also. I think there are many years we could debate if the best team really won the championship. I would take the 2014-15 UK team over any team that has won a title in the 21st Century.....yet they lost a game in the tournament and won nothing.
    Very true. It'll never be truly fair. I'll stop complaining about it and enjoy the ride!
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Very true. It'll never be truly fair. I'll stop complaining about it and enjoy the ride!
    complain all you want....that is a big part of what these boards are for....but yes still make sure to enjoy the ride. That first weekend of the NCAA Tournament is my absolute favorite sports weekend of the year!

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-10-2020),Sea Ray (03-10-2020)

St. Mary's hits a shot with 6 seconds left to beat BYU by 1 point and move to the WCC Final against Gonzaga. I really think BYU would have been a harder matchup for Gonzaga.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

One bid leagues should get rid of the conference tournament and send their regular season champ - and best team - to the NCAAs. Thoughts?
    Personally, I am not a fan of CT's in the power conferences..but I love them in the mid-majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of CT's in the power conferences..but I love them in the mid-majors.
    The regular season champ in power conferences are going to the tournament anyway so unlike Wright St nobody's getting eliminated but it does give teams like Tennessee a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I'd venture to guess conference tourney week is the only time a lot of people watch mid-majors. I follow the mids pretty closely throughout the year. To me, the ETSU/Furman game on CBS Sports Network is by far more entertaining than the Georgia/Mississippi State game on ESPN2.

So for me it's unfortunate when I see these fun mids like Northern Iowa with great players like AJ Green and Austin Phyfe win their regular season only to stumble for a game in the conference tourney and not get to represent their league and show their stuff in the NCAAs.
    -Walt Whitman

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-10-2020),Chip R (03-10-2020),dubc47834 (03-10-2020),jimbo (03-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The regular season champ in power conferences are going to the tournament anyway so unlike Wright St nobody's getting eliminated but it does give teams like Tennessee a shot
    UCLA almost tested that theory this year.

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-10-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand that, but the CT's is the only time I really get to see the mid-majors on TV that are out of my area. They pretty much get 1 week to themselves before the big boys start playing. But I know exactly what you are saying as I remember some dang good Butler teams getting left out before they moved up in conference status.

I'm not a big fan of conference tournaments. However, it seems like a good revenue generator especially for the smaller conferences. I know people have been wanting this for years now but only teams who finish .500 or over in their conference during the regular season should be eligible for the tournament unless they win their conference tournament. People love the NCAA tournament because of the upsets. The Northern Iowas knocking off the Kannsases, the UMBCs beating the Virginias, the Loyolas going to the Final Four. People remember that stuff and not whether an Oklahoma bets a Purdue in the 1st round or vice versa. More mid and low majors in the tournament, the more potential there is for early round upsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not a big fan of conference tournaments. However, it seems like a good revenue generator especially for the smaller conferences. I know people have been wanting this for years now but only teams who finish .500 or over in their conference during the regular season should be eligible for the tournament unless they win their conference tournament. People love the NCAA tournament because of the upsets. The Northern Iowas knocking off the Kannsases, the UMBCs beating the Virginias, the Loyolas going to the Final Four. People remember that stuff and not whether an Oklahoma bets a Purdue in the 1st round or vice versa. More mid and low majors in the tournament, the more potential there is for early round upsets.
    And I would argue sometimes the upsets are upsets in name only. Some of these mid-majors are extremely talented and well-coached. Those UNI and Loyola teams could have beaten anyone. That wasn't Jimmy Chitwood and Hickory High School stuff. Now sometimes the upsets are flukey, like the UMBC one.

But there is some really good mid-major basketball being played across the country, but the general public doesn't get to see it until March because their games are often relegated to ESPN+ and the big boys will rarely schedule the strong mid-majors and God forbid they ever travel to one.
    -Walt Whitman

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-10-2020),Chip R (03-10-2020)

Hats off to Sippin' Mick.
    The Pac-12 Conference announced Monday that former Cincinnati Bearcats head coach Mick Cronin won John R. Wooden Coach of the Year honors in his first season as the head coach of the UCLA Bruins.

20. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2020)

it is ironic in regards to conference tournaments....last year after WVU has a historically bad season and had a couple upsets in the tournament, I was all into it. In contrast, we we are locked in the tournament, i am conflicted at best. You never want to cheer for your team to lose, but at the same time you do not want your team to get wore down going deep in a conference tournament. There is a reasonable argument that Texas Tech getting upset in the Big12 Quarterfinals last year by WVU may have helped them get to the NCAA Championship game. Who knows if their legs are strong enough if they have to play 2 more games in the B12 Tournament, then play in the NCAA with only 4 days rest.

NKU is in the dance:

"For the third time in four years, the Northern Kentucky University Norse earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament by winning their conference tournament.

The second-seeded Norse defeated No. 4 UIC on Tuesday night in the Horizon League Tournament final in Indianapolis, and will head to the Big Dance in their first season under head coach Darrin Horn."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...id/5016804002/

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-11-2020),Chip R (03-11-2020),cumberlandreds (03-11-2020)

Turn Off Ads?