Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2020 Part 2: March Madness!

Re: College Basketball 2020 Part 2: March Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think it's crazy that they fired Thunder Dan. I thought he did a pretty nice job there, although obviously they were down this year.
    Best player from last year was academically ineligible all season, and the guy they thought would be their best player this season never got eligible.

That falls on the head coach, but it really wasn't his fault.

Majerle is a good coach. He'd be a phenomenal "get" as an assistant just about anywhere.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Imagine being academically ineligible at Grand Canyon. Yikes.

4. Likes:

Chip R (03-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Imagine being academically ineligible at Grand Canyon. Yikes.
    I got a kick out of GCU calling themselves a premier, mid-major basketball destination.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Best player from last year was academically ineligible all season, and the guy they thought would be their best player this season never got eligible.

That falls on the head coach, but it really wasn't his fault.

Majerle is a good coach. He'd be a phenomenal "get" as an assistant just about anywhere.
    Wonder if Cal would take him if Joel Justus gets the UNC-Wilmington job?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I got a kick out of GCU calling themselves a premier, mid-major basketball destination.
    It's a Christian university too so Pitino would have no problems fitting in.

Seriously, I understand their game experience doesn't take a back seat to very many teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's a Christian university too so Pitino would have no problems fitting in.

Seriously, I understand their game experience doesn't take a back seat to very many teams.
    You're right, I've seen some of the videos from their games and their student section. And they seem to have an unlimited budget. Still, something about the place gives me the heebie jeebies.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

9. Likes:

Chip R (03-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Wonder if Cal would take him if Joel Justus gets the UNC-Wilmington job?
    Never mind. They hired Takayuo Sidde (?)
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    UCF has the same claim to that National Championship as Tennessee has to being the Champions of Life.
    They would have handled my team and your team that season. They were clearly the best team in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    You're right, I've seen some of the videos from their games and their student section. And they seem to have an unlimited budget. Still, something about the place gives me the heebie jeebies.
    it is stigmatized from originally being an online school. Supposedly they have built a decent expanding campus and are trying hard to move past that reputation, but it will take time. I am pretty sure that is where we drafted Quin Cotton from last summer.

after thinking about the proposals of giving Seniors in Winter Sports such as basketball another year of eligibility, I think it will just lead to more problems. I get the terrible situation, but giving Seniors another season will negatively impact current hs recruits, Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors by squeezing their playing time and opportunity. The truth is for the majority of the 300+ D1 basketball programs act in a similar manner to a high school where players playing time and opportunity expand each year as they develop and the Seniors graduate.

Spring sport athletes are different since they truly were robbed of a season, but I think you have to give everyone currently enrolled an additional year, and not limit it to Seniors. Why is it fair for a Junior to lose his/her Junior Season any more than it is for a Senior to lose their Senior Season? The problem there is most of those athletes are not on full scholarships, and will not simply stay in school for an additional season when they could obtain professional employment.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    after thinking about the proposals of giving Seniors in Winter Sports such as basketball another year of eligibility, I think it will just lead to more problems. I get the terrible situation, but giving Seniors another season will negatively impact current hs recruits, Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors by squeezing their playing time and opportunity. The truth is for the majority of the 300+ D1 basketball programs act in a similar manner to a high school where players playing time and opportunity expand each year as they develop and the Seniors graduate.

Spring sport athletes are different since they truly were robbed of a season, but I think you have to give everyone currently enrolled an additional year, and not limit it to Seniors. Why is it fair for a Junior to lose his/her Junior Season any more than it is for a Senior to lose their Senior Season? The problem there is most of those athletes are not on full scholarships, and will not simply stay in school for an additional season when they could obtain professional employment.
    I think it’s much ado about nothing, at least at the higher collegiate level.

Anyone who was a senior was likely flirting with the draft last year when they were a junior. Cassius Winston, Myles Powell, Udoka Azubuike, and Markus Howard all come to mind. They are all north of 21, will have their degree in hand, and despite what they say now will have a harder time turning down millions in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    They would have handled my team and your team that season. They were clearly the best team in Florida.
    That's not saying much

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    They were the regular season champs...as was UK in the SEC...nothing wrong with hanging a banner.
    I knew where it was headed....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...onal-champions

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Dayton is clearly the national champs

To me it was pretty obvious that this was East Tennessee State's year.

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-14-2020),cumberlandreds (03-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?