Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Live From Goodyear, AZ Reds Spring Training 2020

Live From Goodyear, AZ Reds Spring Training 2020

Hello again all,

As I hope some of you remember last year I posted about my experiences at Spring Training. I feel like I got some good responses so I decided to go ahead and do it again.

A little background for those of you that don't remember or are new around here. This is my 10th season coming out to Goodyear Arizona for Reds Spring Training. I am out here for 2 full weeks, which started yesterday. Every day (beside Wed. March 10th off day) I will be at the games. We try and get to the backfields a couple times but Im not sure thats in the cards this year. I personally think its only a matter of time before they shut that down with the coronavirus issues ongoing.

I will post my thoughts on players and answer any questions you may ask. I will try and find little things I think you guys will be more interested in then the common stuff you read from the beat writers. Just more content for you all to take in before the season.

Please feel free to post and ask any question you would like. I will normally post after the games, I might try and do some live posting during the games at some point.

So please enjoy and Lets Go Reds!!

2. Likes:

757690 (03-10-2020),BillDoran (03-10-2020),Bob Sheed (03-10-2020),BRM13 (03-10-2020),Cherokee (03-11-2020),cumberlandreds (03-11-2020),DocRed (03-10-2020),marcshoe (03-10-2020),North (03-10-2020),ochoa30 (03-10-2020),Roy Tucker (03-10-2020),wlf WV (03-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Live From Goodyear, AZ Reds Spring Training 2020

Game 1

Reds at White Sox

So I hate games that end in a tie and thats what happened here. As my father said, our first day was kind of a "ho-hum" day.

The Pitching: Disco started and looked good. He now short arms the ball instead of getting a full extension behind his back. That is a huge change for a pitcher and he seems to have made it work. The ball did look like it was coming out a little harder then it was in the past. He went 4 innings and only gave up 1 run. After that it was a run of MLB pitchers for the most part which was good. It was Iglesias, Garrett, Strop Stephenson, and Reed. Iglesias didnt look bad but had a couple hard hit fly ball outs. Not what i really want to see out of him based on how he started last year. Of all the pitchers Garrett was the most impressive, yes i am aware he gave up a homerun. What he didnt before and after that homerun was the better part. He came in and struck out a righty and a lefty with his typical nasty fastball/slider combo. Then Faced Grandal and left a fastball down the middle. Garrett knew it also, as soon as it was hit he made a motion to the catcher saying he missed his spot and Grandal didnt miss his. Garrett came back and K'd the next batter. He looked great, one mistake but that happens to the best pitchers. The rest looked good. I feel bad for Cody Reed, the pitch right before the homerun I felt should have been a called strike 3 on the outside corner of the plate. Reeds next pitch was send out to left center field which tied the game. Reed struggled on the next batter who sent a fly ball deep to center field to end the game.

Hitters: Well not much to talk about here honestly. Senzel lead the game off with a homerun, and it was an impressive homerun. As a baseball coach I appreciate players doing things the right way and thats exactly what Senzel did on this homerun. It was an 0-2 count, the pitcher threw a fastball on the outside half of the plate and Senzel went with the pitch and hit it out to right field. It was a wonderful piece of hitting. Alfredo Rodriguez had a nicely hit ball in his first AB, it to was an opposite field hit, line drive single.

Fielding: Mark Payton deserves some love here, he didnt do much at the plate but he made about 3 or 4 tough plays in the OF playing CF. He did have a single and an RBI in the game as well.

Next: Today we have a game at home, we get to see a bunch of the starters including, Votto, Castellanos, Moose, and Castillo is on the mound.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (03-10-2020),Cherokee (03-11-2020),cumberlandreds (03-11-2020),DocRed (03-10-2020),North (03-10-2020),Roy Tucker (03-10-2020),wlf WV (03-10-2020)

Have you been able to watch Jose Garcia at all? Any sign of him working with any special instructors?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Have you been able to watch Jose Garcia at all? Any sign of him working with any special instructors?
    I haven’t seen him on the backfields yet. So at the moment I have only seen Garcia 1 time it was an AB in yesterday’s game. Today he is at the other game so I won’t see him today either.

- - - Updated - - -

Castillo is out here throwing like 90% change ups it looks like.

Votto with a nice play at first however Castillo couldn’t get to the base in time so it was a single.
    Last edited by Red X; 03-10-2020 at 08:15 PM.

8. Likes:

wlf WV (03-10-2020)

Moose has made a couple nice little plays at 2B.

Most notably really good footwork and turn to make the throw to 2nd on a double play. Looked natural doing it.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-11-2020),wlf WV (03-10-2020)

Game 2:

Today we were in Goodyear watching the Reds play the Dbacks. We lost..... BY A LOT. But I do have some things to talk about it.

Hitters: So Moose hit a bomb in the first inning which was nice to see, an opposite field jack with Castellanos on base. That was all the Reds would score today. Castellanos got a nice single in his first AB but didnt look very good after that missed a ton of breaking balls, by like 2 feet. I liked Akiyama, he didnt do anything amazing but he seems like a solid ball player. He walked in his first AB, watched some close pitches. He then proceed to get picked off which was not ideal, but I like that he is aggressive on the bases we dont always have enough of that.

The curious case of Joey Votto, I noted on the forums that the first televised game he looked like he was standing more upright like at the end of last year. Someone mentioned that he was choking up a lot. Today, he was hunched over and chocked way up on all of his ABs. Its Joey so I dunno if he had a goal or plan in mind but it was clear that he reverted back to his first half stance at the plate. Which I know lots of you will not be happy to hear. I will keep an eye on this going forward.

Outside of this i dont have much on the hitters from today. We had 3 stinking hits THREE.

Pitching: Castillo looked great for his first 2 1/2 or 3 innings, then the Dbacks started to string hits together. He threw a ton of off speed stuff early i frankly think thats the reason why he got hit pretty hard when he did. Lorenzen gave up 2 hits and a walk so he wasnt really on either. The other guys all gave up home runs. I was excited to see Lodolo pitch, I dont blame the home run he gave up on him. I blame it on whoever was calling the game. The catcher was Pena and for the first 2 batter Lodolo threw ALL fastballs, all 94 95mph. He got Cron down 0-2 and they kept trying to throw inside fastballs. He fouled off 1 or 2 and then crushed the 3rd. I have no idea why they didnt throw a breaking pitch or move outside. Once that happened Lodolo settled starting mixing sliders and curveballs in there with his fastball and strike out 2 of the next 3 hitters. He looked good after the home run.

Fielding: Moose made some nice plays which is good, he had very good footwork on a double play turn. The ball was hit to him and he made the quick drop step and throw to 2nd base side arm. For a guy that played only 40 something games at 2B I looked very natural. Mark Payton, again this guy makes plays, hosed a guy at the plate from left field today. His defense has been impressive from what i have seen. Castellanos is very slow getting to balls in the corner, VERY SLOW.

Up Next: Tomorrow is an off day so no new updates but Ill be around for questions or whatever at some point. Then I will pick back up Thurs when the Reds play Seattle.

12. Likes:

Cherokee (03-11-2020),cumberlandreds (03-11-2020),mace (03-10-2020),Roy Tucker (03-10-2020)

Well this appears to have been short lived this season.

It appears I may be headed home at this point.

I will be back next year hopefully.

"So Fla Red"

"Goodyear? No the Worst"

15. Likes:

klw (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    "Goodyear? No the Worst"
    Couldnt agree more. I understand it but its a bummer.

Turn Off Ads?