Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Postponements

Postponements

Any word on how m8nor league baseball will be affected by this Corona virus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Postponements

I assure you, MiLB will be postponed right along with MLB.

If they shutter the spring complexes that currently hold ~300 big league and minor league players each - which is likely to happen - all those minor leaguers will have to go home for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I assure you, MiLB will be postponed right along with MLB.

If they shutter the spring complexes that currently hold ~300 big league and minor league players each - which is likely to happen - all those minor leaguers will have to go home for a while.
    Yeah, this isn't going to help those minor league teams on the chopping block any. Those players probably won't get paid if there aren't any games.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

North (03-13-2020)

From doug's site:

“They (the minor leaguers) are given the option to stay. They are encouraged to go home just because their season is behind ours (MLB), so they’re facing a pretty lengthy delay,” Williams said. “But we were working with those guys what their choices are. We do anticipate a significant number of minor league players staying here and continuing in their apartments. We have a minor league presence here almost year round. We’re pretty used to busing them to and from the complex. We’ll figure out what meals will be provided out of the complex and they’ll continue to receive their per diem.
    If I'm barely eking out an existence, I'm staying in Goodyear (especially if I'm from somewhere else). I'll get to work out (which gets my mind off all of this), I probably won't get horribly sick (as I am a well-conditioned and youthful athlete), I'm almost assuredly not going to infect someone old who might then die (because everyone around me is like me), I can get eyes on me and training I might otherwise not get (which would improve my standing in my profession), and I'm safe.

I might even bring my family (if I'm married and have kids) to Arizona. (Or try to.)

As of today, minor leaguers are being sent home.

Read a SB Nation piece the other day that states MLB is maintaining its plan to eliminate 25% of minor league teams after the 2020 season. With this said, we may have already seen the end of short season baseball. I had been hoping that no news was good news. The abrasive attitude MLB exhibits toward the MiLB folks is really troubling. I have resigned myself to the very likely scenario that there will be no MiLB this year.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (04-21-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I have resigned myself to the very likely scenario that there will be no MiLB this year.
    There's almost no possible way it's happening this year unless they do it out of the spring training facilities (which I'd still be shocked to see).

11. Likes:

North (04-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?