Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions needed (next Reds HOF class)

Suggestions needed (next Reds HOF class)

A close associate is on the Reds' Hall of Fame board and wanted me to look over the list of candidates for the next HOF class for the Reds. Anyone before the 70s is well before my time, so wanted to get some suggestions from the board. Who are the top 5 or so guys on this list? TIA!

[of the guys i know, john franco seems like he should be in. gonna say no on bret boone and jeff brantley. rob dibble is close. not sure on that one. reggie sanders and paul o'neill? borderline IMO. no on pokey reese, danny graves, scott sullivan, tom hume.]

Bobby Adams 2B/3B
    Ed Bailey C
    Joe Beggs р
    Bob Bescher OF
    Bret Boone 2B
    Jeff Brantley P
    Hick Carpenter 3B
    Tommy Corcoran SS
    Bill DeWitt GM/Owner
    Rob Dibble P
    Pat Duncan OF
    Frank Dwyer P
    Rawly Eastwick P
    Johnny Edwards C
    Hod Eller P
    John Franco P
    Danny Graves P
    Dick Hoblitzel 1B
    Bug Holliday OF
    Miller Huggins 2B/3B
    Tom Hume P
    Charley Jones OF
    Larry MacPhail GM
    Dusty Miller OF
    Eddie Miller SS
    Mike Mitchell OF
    Pat Moran MGR
    Hal Morris 1B
    Paul O'Neill OF
    Gabe Paul GM
    Lou Piniella MGR
    Ken Raffensberger P
    Pokey Reese 2B/SS
    Billy Rhines P
    Reggie Sanders OF
    Elmer "Mike" Smith P/OF
    Scott Sullivan P
    Bobby Tolan OF
    Fred Toney P
    Curt Walker OF
    Ivey Wingo C

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Suggestions needed (next Reds HOF class)

John Franco
    Larry McPhail
    Reggie Sanders
    Scott Sullivan
    Bug Holliday
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

JFLegal (11-07-2022)

If we count their entire career, then I put O'neill and Franco in.
    I think that there's so much movement in baseball now, you have to count their entire career.
    I think Ron Oester is in the Reds' hall of fame.. I mean, if he's in, you can make a case for just about anyone.
    Kind of hard to say no to Brantley and Brett Boone if Oester is in.

I would probably put Dibble in the Reds HOF just based on peak value (Chapman too, when he's eligible).. those were two of the most dominating relievers of their generation.
    Tom Hume had 4-5 good seasons, mixed in with a lot of bad ones, he's a hard no for me. He caused me a lot of child hood trauma by blowing leads.

I don't remember a lot of the other old timers to say either way.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-08-2022)

Hick Carpenter 3B
    Larry MacPhail GM
    Ed Bailey C
    Rob Dibble P
    Bug Holliday OF

8. Likes:

HokieRed (11-08-2022),JFLegal (11-07-2022),Old school 1983 (11-08-2022)

I would seriously consider these:

Franco
    Dibble
    Graves
    Pinella
    Sanders

I don't know much about the old guys before the 70's so I will leave that up to WOY.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 11-07-2022 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

JFLegal (11-07-2022),Revering4Blue (11-07-2022),Roy Tucker (11-08-2022)

I like Sanders, Franco, and O'Neil as players. Pinella as a manager.

12. Likes:

Jaysland Red (11-07-2022),JFLegal (11-07-2022),Redsfan6272 (11-07-2022)

Reggie Sanders is an easy choice. He was a solid CF who moved to RF to help the team. Too, his 829 OPS was 17% better than league average for his time in Cincinnati. 8 years spent in the uniform is plenty.

Bug Holliday looks like a legitimate Red HOF candidate based on his numbers.

John Franco passes the five years' of dominance test for me-- he was a three-time All-Star and received some MVP consideration as well. (He was, IMO, one of the two or three best relievers in baseball when with Cincinnati.) I'm low-key shocked he isn't already in the Reds' HOF.

I wouldn't pick anyone else, honestly. Neither MacPhail nor Piniella was here long enough. Dibble wasn't good enough for long enough. Bailey was (much) better after the Reds sent him packing.

Scott Sullivan is an inspired choice, but ultimately a middle reliever (even if he was the most dependable middle reliever in baseball for a solid chunk of his career).

14. Likes:

Chip R (11-10-2022),JFLegal (11-07-2022)

John Franco
    Ed Bailey
    Lou Piniella
    Reggie Sanders
    Johnny Edwards

Sullivan gets in eventually, but not yet.

Not saying I would necessarily pick them (at least this time around), but why aren't Joe Oliver and Kevin Mitchell on this list? Several of their contemporaries are listed.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-07-2022),HokieRed (11-08-2022),JFLegal (11-07-2022),Redsfan6272 (11-08-2022),Revering4Blue (11-07-2022),westofyou (11-07-2022)

I’d tell the board member to slow down the inductees as it will get watered down.

I want a “Hall of Fame” not a “Hall of Guys Who Played a Few Years for the Reds.”

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’d tell the board member to slow down the inductees as it will get watered down.

I want a “Hall of Fame” not a “Hall of Guys Who Played a Few Years for the Reds.”
    he would agree with you.

19. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-07-2022)

both WOY and Big Klu agree on Ed Bailey. so, i'll be recommending him for sure.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-08-2022)

Hick Carpenter hasn't played for the Reds in 133 years and still holds the team record for most games played at 3B. That's both awesome and awful at the same time

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-07-2022)

I don't see 5 worthy guys on that list. The one for sure I'd put in is Scott Sullivan

25. Likes:

Jaysland Red (11-07-2022)

Guess I’ll be the first to go with Gabe Paul. GM for long overdue integration and a pretty good decade of signing and developing players. You may have heard of a few: Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson and Leo Cardenas. Inherited a perennial 60-ish win doormat of a franchise and built it into a respectable .500ish franchise with a couple of good seasons in 1956 and 1957. Reds drew 1+ million fans for the first time ever on his watch in 1956 and had many of the pieces in place when he left after 1960 for the 1961 World Series team.

27. Likes:

Chip R (11-10-2022),cumberlandreds (11-07-2022),Ron Madden (11-07-2022),westofyou (11-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Guess I’ll be the first to go with Gabe Paul. GM for long overdue integration and a pretty good decade of signing and developing players. You may have heard of a few: Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson and Leo Cardenas. Inherited a perennial 60-ish win doormat of a franchise and built it into a respectable .500ish franchise with a couple of good seasons in 1956 and 1957. Reds drew 1+ million fans for the first time ever on his watch in 1956 and had many of the pieces in place when he left after 1960 for the 1961 World Series team.
    I thought Paul, but I'd go MacPhail first since he righted the ship, got the Reds in the black, national press, and essentially made them modern

29. Likes:

Chip R (11-10-2022),cumberlandreds (11-07-2022),Ron Madden (11-07-2022)

Turn Off Ads?