Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

The other thread reached over 1,000 posts. So continue on here.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

3/11/2020...ex Red Sox, Indian, Mariner, Blue Jay; Ted Cox, age 65. Set existing MLB record of 6 hits in his first 6 ab's. https://www.bffuneralhome.com/obitua...#/obituaryInfo
    Attachment 15777

4. Likes:

Cherokee (03-13-2020),cumberlandreds (03-13-2020)

3/11/2020...ex Tiger, Royal; Jarrod Patterson, age 46. https://www.martinfuneralhomeinc.com...?obId=12414776 Attachment 15823

6. Likes:

Cherokee (03-16-2020)

3/16/2020...ex Yankee; Hank Workman, age 94.

Hank Workman, who captained The University of Southern California to their first College World Series championship baseball title, and later won a World Series ring with the 1950 New York Yankees, died Monday, March 16, 2020, at his home in Santa Monica, California. He was 94.
    Workman graduated from Loyola High School in 1944 and served two years in the Navy during World War II. At coach Rod Dedeaux's urging, Workman chose USC over rival Stanford, a crucial step in building USC’s college baseball dynasty.
    At USC, the outfielder blossomed, becoming a three-time All-American. He culminated his storied career with a 1948 College World Series victory over future President George H. W. Bush’s Yale Bulldogs. After splitting the first two games, the Trojans won Game Three in deciding fashion, 9-2.
    Today In: SportsMoney
    “We were pretty cocky,” Workman told author W.C. Madden in The College World Series: A Baseball History, 1947-2003. “We could hold our own with any team.”
    The Yankees signed Workman in 1948, intending to start him at their Class B team in Victoria, British Columbia. He expected to ease into the fold; however, that quickly changed when one of their Triple-A outfielders in Newark was injured. Suddenly, he was one step away from the majors before he ever played a single professional game.
    He boldly responded with 16 home runs in just 72 games. Despite holding his own as a rookie, Workman explained how the New Jersey climate presented the Californian with a set of unexpected challenges.
    “For a kid from California, the humidity in the East was a shock,” Workman told the author in 2008. “It doesn't get anywhere near as humid. You don't have the proliferation of bugs and mosquitoes; you know that's the New Jersey state bird! Guys would light bonfires to deal with the mosquitoes in the bullpen.”
    Unfortunately, Workman suffered an arm injury at the end of the 1948 season that plagued him for the rest of his career. The Yankees sent him to Joe DiMaggio’s doctor, but his odd treatment did nothing to repair Workman’s maladies.
    “I hurt my arm at the end of the 1948 season pretty bad,” he said. “In those days, orthopedic surgery was not what it is now. I'm sure I had a torn rotator cuff, but nobody ever heard of that then. They sent me to the doctor that told them DiMaggio's knee was okay when they signed him from the Seals. He recommended that I have my tonsils out, but that didn't fix my arm. He was a doctor of last resorts for the Yankees.”
    Even with a sore arm, Workman's powerful bat made him enough of a prospect that the Yankees rewarded him with a 1950 September call-up. Entrenched in the middle of the pennant race, they were not going to risk their postseason checks on a rookie; however, a freak accident further complicated his New York stay.
    “The second day I was there, I was turning off the shower handle in the Concourse Plaza Hotel where I stayed,” he said. “The handle broke, and I had about 60 stitches between my thumb and forefinger. I was a spectator for most of that month. I got into the last game of the season. I went to bat once the first day I was there and got to play right about the last game of the season. I got a hit off of a guy [Harry Taylor] that got called up from Louisville. It was against the Red Sox in Fenway, so he was a familiar pitcher to me.”While injuries limited Workman’s Yankees tenure to only two games, the legendary DiMaggio made sure Workman stayed busy.
    "Workman told me how he had to light a Chesterfield, take one puff of it and have it waiting for Joe when he came in from center field," author Roger Cramer told the Daily News in 2000.
    In an attempt to resurrect Workman's career, the Yankees sent him to learn how to play first base in the Cuban Winter League. When the experiment didn’t work out, he knew his injured arm would keep him from ever returning to the majors. After finishing with Syracuse in 1953, Workman left baseball to pursue a legal career.
    “I left baseball for law school,” Workman said. “I figured I wasn't going anywhere because I couldn't throw. I thought I had a chance as a hitter. I could run and catch the ball okay, but I couldn't throw. Now they got a guy like Juan Pierre. I can throw better than that guy, and he's a major league player with a big contract.
    “In those days there weren't many major league outfielders that didn't throw well. All the Yankee outfielders had super arms—Bauer, Mantle, DiMaggio. … They had two backups, Cliff Mapes and Jackie Jensen, who had better arms than anybody.”
    Workman practiced law well into his 80s at his firm Sullivan, Workman & Dee. He made his final appearance at Yankee Stadium in 2010 when the Yankees honored him at Old-Timers’ Day for the 60th anniversary of their 1950 World Series Championship team. Far removed from his playing career, Workman marveled that people would still write to him requesting his autograph.
    “I get them all the time,” he said. “Isn't that ridiculous? I was a total nobody. I just sign them and send them. I don't charge money; I pay them!” Attachment 15874

8. Likes:

Cherokee (03-24-2020),cumberlandreds (03-22-2020)

3/20/2020...ex Cardinal: Robert (Bob) Loyd Stephenson, age 91. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stephenson_(baseball)Attachment 15877

10. Likes:

Cherokee (03-24-2020),cumberlandreds (03-23-2020)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Jimmy Wynn passed away today just 2 weeks past his 78th birthday.

Hamilton native Jimmy Wynn passed away at 78.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jimmy-wynn-...eat-dies-at-78
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

oh my the reds should have protected jimmy wynn, art shamsky played minor league ball with him and said he was great

One of my favorite non-Reds.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-26-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-27-2020),Ron Madden (03-27-2020)

He hit one about 18 miles out onto I-75 out at Crosley Field.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-27-2020),marcshoe (03-27-2020),Ron Madden (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hamilton native Jimmy Wynn passed away at 78.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jimmy-wynn-...eat-dies-at-78
    The article is wrong about The Toy Cannon growing up in Hamilton, He grew up in Cincinnati and attended Robert A Raft senior high school in the West end of Cincinnati.

19. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2020),marcshoe (03-27-2020)

Another of my baseball heroes from the 60's gone. Attachment 15902

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-27-2020)

Sad to hear about Jimmy Wynn. He was a favorite.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

goreds2 (03-27-2020),marcshoe (03-27-2020)

Sorry to hear this. The Toy Cannon. He was one of my favorite non Reds too. I read his book a few years ago it was good. As I have been saying more and more lately "Another one of my cardboard heroes is gone."

Reds Fan Since 1971

25. Likes:

goreds2 (03-27-2020),marcshoe (03-27-2020)

When I heard of his passing, I pictured this baseball card I have. RIP

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

27. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?