Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 388

Thread: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

  1. #316
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    The 2021 "Field of Dreams" Team adds to its organizational depth by signing a left-handed relief pitcher and a LH-hitting 1B/OF.

    Transactions
    Signed LHP Willard Hunter and 1B/OF Joe Altobelli.


    Roster
    RHP Don Sutton
    RHP Paul Foytack
    RHP Lew Krausse, Jr.
    RHP Stan Williams
    RHP Wynn Hawkins
    RHP Tom Acker
    RHP Hy Cohen
    LHP Juan Pizarro
    LHP Grant Jackson
    LHP Willard Hunter
    LHP Tommy Lasorda
    C Mike Sadek
    1B/OF Joe Altobelli
    1B Ron Johnson
    2B Pedro Gonzalez
    2B Don E. Leppert
    2B Wayne Terwilliger
    3B/SS Dick H. Smith
    SS/2B Ron Samford
    OF Hank Aaron
    OF Billy Conigliaro
    OF Angel Mangual
    OF Stan Palys
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #317
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    From 1/14/2021:

    John LaRose, LHP who pitched in one game for the Red Sox in 1978.

    https://www.jjduffyfuneralhome.com/o.../john-h-larose

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...arosjo01.shtml

    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  4. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-05-2021)

  5. #318
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    14,099

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    From 1/14/2021:

    John LaRose, LHP who pitched in one game for the Red Sox in 1978.

    https://www.jjduffyfuneralhome.com/o.../john-h-larose

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...arosjo01.shtml

    Here is his lone game. He pitched two innings on Sep 20 of 1978 in a game against the Tigers in which the Reds Sox were blown out 12-2. He gave up five runs on three hits and three walks. Oh well, he at least got to say he pitched one game in the big leagues.


    https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...200DET1978.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. Likes:

    Big Klu (03-05-2021)

  7. #319
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here is his lone game. He pitched two innings on Sep 20 of 1978 in a game against the Tigers in which the Reds Sox were blown out 12-2. He gave up five runs on three hits and three walks. Oh well, he at least got to say he pitched one game in the big leagues.


    https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...200DET1978.htm
    How much power is in that Red Sox lineup when you have George Scott batting eighth and Dwight Evans batting ninth?!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  8. #320
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    14,099

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    How much power is in that Red Sox lineup when you have George Scott batting eighth and Dwight Evans batting ninth?!
    That was a really good hitting team. Infield defense was very suspect. IIRC, their pitching fizzled out that last six weeks and they blew a big lead to the Yankees which lead to the Bucky Dent home run. That one game playoff with the Yankees really upped the ante on that rivalry.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  9. #321
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    The 2021 "Field of Dreams" Team adds to its organizational depth by signing another left-handed relief pitcher.

    Transactions
    Signed LHP John LaRose.


    Roster
    RHP Don Sutton
    RHP Paul Foytack
    RHP Lew Krausse, Jr.
    RHP Stan Williams
    RHP Wynn Hawkins
    RHP Tom Acker
    RHP Hy Cohen
    LHP Juan Pizarro
    LHP Grant Jackson
    LHP Willard Hunter
    LHP Tommy Lasorda
    LHP John LaRose
    C Mike Sadek
    1B/OF Joe Altobelli
    1B Ron Johnson
    2B Pedro Gonzalez
    2B Don E. Leppert
    2B Wayne Terwilliger
    3B/SS Dick H. Smith
    SS/2B Ron Samford
    OF Hank Aaron
    OF Billy Conigliaro
    OF Angel Mangual
    OF Stan Palys
    Last edited by Big Klu; 03-05-2021 at 03:37 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  10. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-05-2021),Revering4Blue (03-05-2021)

  11. #322
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Wow Rheal Cormier died of pancreatic cancer.

  12. #323
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Wow Rheal Cormier died of pancreatic cancer.
    Wow. Is he the first Red who played in GABP to die?
    Last edited by Big Klu; 03-08-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  13. #324
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Wow. Is he the first Red who played in GABP to die?
    Stenson?

  14. #325
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    14,278

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Freel?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

  15. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Stenson?
    And Ryan Freel

    But point is spot on, he died incredibly young. Very sad as he seemed to be a good guy when I met him briefly at wrigley back in either 2006 or 2007.

  16. Likes:

    goreds2 (03-08-2021)

  17. #327
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    I forgot about Dernell Stenson and Ryan Freel. But Cormier is the first one to my knowledge who died due to a disease or other natural cause, and not due to a homicide or suicide.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  18. #328
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    3/8/2021: Former Cardinals, Red Sox, Expos, Phillies, and Reds LHP Rheal Cormier.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thatbal...sses-away/amp/

    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  19. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-09-2021)

  20. #329
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,682

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    The 2021 "Field of Dreams" Team completes its 25-man roster by signing a quality left-handed relief pitcher.

    Transactions
    Signed LHP Rheal Cormier.


    Frankly, the initial 25-man roster for the 2021 club is not very good -- it looks a lot like an expansion club roster. 13 pitchers and only 12 position players. Lots of bad bats. Strengths are an inner circle Hall of Fame RF, a solid pitching rotation led by a Hall of Famer and two All-Stars, and a couple of quality lefty relievers. Weaknesses are just about everything else, especially a lack of left-handed hitters, and no depth at C and INF.

    Lineup (8)
    C Mike Sadek
    1B Joe Altobelli/Henry Aaron
    2B Wayne Terwilliger
    3B Pedro Gonzalez (utility player, but best bat available for 3B)
    SS Ron Samford
    LF Billy Conigliaro/Stan Palys
    CF Angel Mangual
    RF Henry Aaron/Billy Conigliaro

    Aaron--a consummate team player--is the only OF with any experience at 1B, so he moves to first base so that Stan Palys can play LF.


    Bench (4)
    1B Ron Johnson (also emergency C)
    1B/OF Joe Altobelli/OF Stan Palys
    2B Don E. Leppert
    3B/SS Dick H. Smith

    (LHP Juan Pizarro is the most likely pitcher to be used as a PH; career .202 average with 8 HR's)


    Rotation (5)
    RHP Don Sutton
    LHP Juan Pizarro
    RHP Stan Williams
    RHP Paul Foytack
    RHP Lew Krausse, Jr.

    Bullpen (8)
    LHP Grant Jackson (closer by default; was a good set-up man)
    RHP Wynn Hawkins
    RHP Tom Acker
    RHP Hy Cohen
    LHP Rheal Cormier
    LHP Willard Hunter
    LHP Tommy Lasorda
    LHP John LaRose


    Probable Batting Order vs. RHP:
    Terwilliger 2b
    Gonzalez 3b
    Aaron rf
    Conigliaro lf
    Altobelli 1b
    Mangual cf
    Sadek c
    Samford ss
    <pitcher>

    Probable Batting Order vs. LHP:
    Terwilliger 2b
    Gonzalez 3b
    Aaron 1b
    Conigliaro rf
    Palys lf
    Mangual cf
    Sadek c
    Samford ss
    <pitcher>
    Last edited by Big Klu; 03-08-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  21. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-09-2021),goreds2 (03-08-2021),kaldaniels (03-08-2021),UKFlounder (03-08-2021)

  22. #330
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The 2021 "Field of Dreams" Team completes its 25-man roster by signing a quality left-handed relief pitcher.

    Transactions
    Signed LHP Rheal Cormier.


    Frankly, the initial 25-man roster for the 2021 club is not very good -- it looks a lot like an expansion club roster. 13 pitchers and only 12 position players. Lots of bad bats. Strengths are an inner circle Hall of Fame RF, a solid pitching rotation led by a Hall of Famer and two All-Stars, and a couple of quality lefty relievers. Weaknesses are just about everything else, especially a lack of left-handed hitters, and no depth at C and INF.

    Lineup (8)
    C Mike Sadek
    1B Joe Altobelli/Henry Aaron
    2B Wayne Terwilliger
    3B Pedro Gonzalez (utility player, but best bat available for 3B)
    SS Ron Samford
    LF Billy Conigliaro/Stan Palys
    CF Angel Mangual
    RF Henry Aaron/Billy Conigliaro

    Aaron--a consummate team player--is the only OF with any experience at 1B, so he moves to first base so that Stan Palys can play LF.

    Bench (4)
    1B Ron Johnson (also emergency C)
    1B/OF Joe Altobelli/OF Stan Palys
    2B Don E. Leppert
    3B/SS Dick H. Smith

    (LHP Juan Pizarro is the most likely pitcher to be used as a PH; career .202 average with 8 HR's)

    Rotation (5)
    RHP Don Sutton
    LHP Juan Pizarro
    RHP Stan Williams
    RHP Paul Foytack
    RHP Lew Krausse, Jr.

    Bullpen (8)
    LHP Grant Jackson (closer by default; was a good set-up man)
    RHP Wynn Hawkins
    RHP Tom Acker
    RHP Hy Cohen
    LHP Rheal Cormier
    LHP Willard Hunter
    LHP Tommy Lasorda
    LHP John LaRose


    Probable Batting Order vs. RHP:
    Terwilliger 2b
    Gonzalez 3b
    Aaron rf
    Conigliaro lf
    Altobelli 1b
    Mangual cf
    Sadek c
    Samford ss
    <pitcher>

    Probable Batting Order vs. LHP:
    Terwilliger 2b
    Gonzalez 3b
    Aaron 1b
    Conigliaro rf
    Palys lf
    Mangual cf
    Sadek c
    Samford ss
    <pitcher>
    Patience young grasshopper.


  23. Likes:

    Big Klu (03-08-2021)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator