Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soooo no baseball eh?

Re: Soooo no baseball eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’m going to walk a lot.

I’m not going to see many people. We just got word that we are WFH for at least the next 3 weeks. My guess it that it’s longer. My wife is a school admin and she is supposed to still go in. So I’ve moved my office monitors and docking station home. My group plans on having daily virtual stand ups to stay in touch. Lots of Skype meetings. No video though so I won’t have to wear pants.
    Yeah walking is a good way to get out and not interact, walked 6 miles the other day after work...of course now it's 40 degrees and raining so won't be doing that today

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-16-2020),Roy Tucker (03-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I wonder if there will be a baby boom in 9 months akin to the NYC blackout in the 70s
    . Not if my wife’s recent anxiety level is any indication.
    Stick to your guns.

5. Likes:

North (03-13-2020),westofyou (03-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    In sixth grade I recited all the World Series winners for my class, now I have coworkers who randomly ask me to do certain years and other highlights from said year, I tend to do better on 20th century ones
    I used to be able to do this with super bowls, I can still do most of the 70's till around 2002, then I get the teams right but in the wrong order.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (03-15-2020),Roy Tucker (03-13-2020),westofyou (03-13-2020)

I notice that none of your top five are bios....Ever read Earl Weaver's book? That was my personal favorite. Also liked Nolan Ryan's autobiography.... Looks like you're into a different swimming pool than 1st hand accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Depends on what route, Bios, teams, specific seasons, etc

Here are 5 great reads that cover a lot of the games history and nuances, aside from Bill James's Historical Abstract

Diamonds in the Rough (The untold history of baseball) - Joel Zoss and John Bowman
    The Diamond Appraised - Tom House and Craig Wright
    The Thinking Man's Guide to Baseball - Leonard Koppett
    Nine Innings - Daniel Okrent
    Dollar Sign on the Muscle - Kevin Kerrane

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbunter View Post
    I notice that none of your top five are bios....Ever read Earl Weaver's book? That was my personal favorite. Also liked Nolan Ryan's autobiography.... Looks like you're into a different swimming pool than 1st hand accounts.
    Bios are a different category, I like em all

Top Five Bios

You're Missing a great game - Whitey Herzog
    Veeck as in Wreck - Bill Veeck
    Nice Guys Finish Last - Leo Durocher
    It's what you know after you learn it all that counts - Earl Weaver
    Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud - Joe Pepitone

Seasons

Ball Four - Bouton
    Pennant Race - Brosnan
    Balls - Nettles
    October 64 - Halberstam
    Summer of 49 - Halberstam

10. Likes:

Cherokee (03-16-2020),Chip R (03-16-2020),cumberlandreds (03-14-2020)

MLB the Show 20 came out today.

12. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-14-2020)

Yogi Berra's books. Great stories, great life's lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    MLB the Show 20 came out today.
    OOTP 21 comes out next week
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

Playadlc (03-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    All of the Reds post season games from 1990 except for game two of the NLCS are on YouTube. Also I think the entire 1975 and 76 World Series are on YT. Plenty of other post season games from the past too.

Also lots of other regular season games. Just pick a random game. That can be fun just seeing what you will get.

As WOY said there are plenty of radio broadcast of past games.

I hope I have time now to read more at home. I am reading my way through US history by following the line of the Presidents. I am now into the Civil War. I'll be on that one a while.
    If it hasn't already been mentioned (I'm behind on everything) ... it would be neat to find a way to set up a chat, or even game thread, to watch "select" games and discuss. I've got the '75 WS on DVD, plus Burn's documentary on baseball, and years ago ChipR gave me several CD's of Waite Hoyt broadcasts. I'll listen to those when I'm working outside (and pretend I'm listening live lol).

The technology has to exist, right? If not. Someone invent it, we'll all invest and become filthy rich!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If it hasn't already been mentioned (I'm behind on everything) ... it would be neat to find a way to set up a chat, or even game thread, to watch "select" games and discuss. I've got the '75 WS on DVD, plus Burn's documentary on baseball, and years ago ChipR gave me several CD's of Waite Hoyt broadcasts. I'll listen to those when I'm working outside (and pretend I'm listening live lol).

The technology has to exist, right? If not. Someone invent it, we'll all invest and become filthy rich!
    I think someone did mention doing that having a game thread on past games. I"m for it if someone wants to start it.

I finished watching game 4 of the 1990 NLCS last night. If some of you never saw Eric Davis you should skip over to the 8th inning of this game and see his athletic ability. He made just a great throw from backing up Hatcher to cut down Bobby Bonilla trying to stretch a double into a triple. It was definitely the play of the game that saved it for the Reds.

Also I saw that Ken Burns had got PBS to free up the Baseball series on the PBS app for everyone to watch free. SO if you have never watched that series or want to re-watch it may never be a better time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

GAC (03-16-2020)

I've been watching old Hollywood baseball movies. Yeah, most are considered B movies "Hollywood -ized", but still entertaining to watch IMO.

Alibi Ike , Jackie Robinson Story, The Stratton Story, Babe Ruth Story (yeah I know. Bad movie with Bendix looking like WC Fields lol )

Fear Strikes Out, Bang The Drum Slowly, and The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg are good ones!

I'm also open for suggestions!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've been watching old Hollywood baseball movies. Yeah, most are considered B movies "Hollywood -ized", but still entertaining to watch IMO.

Alibi Ike , Jackie Robinson Story, The Stratton Story, Babe Ruth Story (yeah I know. Bad movie with Bendix looking like WC Fields lol )

Fear Strikes Out, Bang The Drum Slowly, and The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg are good ones!

I'm also open for suggestions!
    Pride of the Yankees is pretty good with Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig. It's dated but still not too bad.

The Winning Team staring Ronald Reagan and Doris Day. It's a biography about Grover Cleveland Alexander. It's not all that good. It's also not very accurate.

Damn Yankees is pretty good. I watched it a long time ago though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

GAC (03-18-2020)

Pride of the Yankees is pretty good with Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig. It's dated but still not too bad.

The Winning Team staring Ronald Reagan and Doris Day. It's a biography about Grover Cleveland Alexander. It's not all that good. It's also not very accurate.

I'm not sure Damn Yankees is available on any streaming platforms or home video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure Damn Yankees is available on any streaming platforms or home video.
    I have no idea. I was just naming old ones that I could remember watching.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

25. Likes:

Chip R (03-16-2020)

In Joe P.s Alexander bio on the Athletic he skewers that Reagan film, Cooper is wooden in Pride.

I find most baseball films horrible, however I think The Bad News Bears is a national treasure

27. Likes:

Yachtzee (03-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?