Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for the season

Options for the season

Right now we are officially delayed for two weeks. One option is to just push the regular season back into October. I don't favor that much because it might mean the Word Series ends in a blizzard. How about the option of just eliminating intra league play? With this plan all teams will have an equal schedule of opponents. This plan would free up about three weeks and be able to finish the season at the scheduled time. I think any delay much more than a month will wreck the season beyond repair.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Options for the season

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Right now we are officially delayed for two weeks. One option is to just push the regular season back into October. I don't favor that much because it might mean the Word Series ends in a blizzard. How about the option of just eliminating intra league play? With this plan all teams will have an equal schedule of opponents. This plan would free up about three weeks and be able to finish the season at the scheduled time. I think any delay much more than a month will wreck the season beyond repair.
    Removing interleague play won't work, the schedule needs it due to the amount of teams in each league, it's already entrenched in the game on a daily basis. If anything games will be cut like in 1919 or 1995

No matter how you slice it, the 2020 season will always have an asterisk beside it.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I think a full 162 is out the window.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Whatever they decide, I suspect there will be a greater than zero chance that the Reds could end up with the best record and be excluded from the playoffs.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-15-2020),goreds2 (03-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (03-14-2020)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Options for the season

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Whatever they decide, I suspect there will be a greater than zero chance that the Reds could end up with the best record and be excluded from the playoffs.
    You have now been removed from my will for refreshing my memory of that debacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 03-14-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

9. Likes:

goreds2 (03-15-2020),WrongVerb (03-15-2020)

Playing baseball into December would be ridiculous, have to cut the season down.
    Go Gators!

11. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (03-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Playing baseball into December would be ridiculous, have to cut the season down.
    Especially if the virus returns in the colder temperatures, and we still won't have a workable vaccine.

I do think that we need to step back and collectively take a deep breath and see where we are 2-3 weeks from now. Most of the precautions now in place (extended spring vacations, colleges and universities going to online classes, eliminating big crowds, banning foreign travel, and simple personal hygiene) will go a long way in slowing down the spread of the virus. Once the initial shock of all the sudden changes in normal routine, and folks calming down to the point that they wonder what they are going to do with a year’s supply of toilet paper, things could ease up.

Most of the players should already be in playing shape. A resumed spring training should not necessarily need to be more than a week at the most. Stats may be a little wacky at the beginning, as hitters are getting their timing down and pitchers are going through their dead arm times, but a delay of a three weeks may only result in a season shortened by only 10-12 games. But the main thing is that when spring training finally does resume, it should not be more than a week long. Most players think spring training is too long to begin with.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I'd prefer a two-week Spring Training. I suspect they'll need it when they begin again.

I don't expect the season to begin before May, at the earliest.

100 - 122 games, IMO, would be an ideal schedule.

10 games with each division rival. One five-game series at home, one five-game series away. That's 40 games. 6 games (one three-game series at home, one away) for other league opponents. That's another 60 games for a total of 100 games. If they need more, one interdivisional home-and-away three-game series with biggest AL rival. (For the Reds, that'd be the Indians.) That's 106 games.

If more is needed, they can add home and away two-game series with the other AL Central teams in a 10-day road trip/ homestand (when combining it with the Indian series). That would be 122 games.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

16. Likes:

Cherokee (03-16-2020),cumberlandreds (03-16-2020),HokieRed (03-15-2020),Roy Tucker (03-15-2020),WrongVerb (03-15-2020)

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we see a game played until June at the earliest. We're still in the ramp up phase impact wise. As things get uglier over the next few weeks, I don't think too many people are going to be thinking in terms of getting things back under way. We won't actually restart things until new cases have fallen off substantially which is probably a month from now. I think ST starts again in May.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

18. Likes:

Chip R (03-16-2020),mth123 (03-15-2020)

Joel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    MLB and union negotiated Friday and Saturday and dispersed home today. They continue to work to try to come to joint agreement on how to proceed with items such as where players can be, player pay, etc. during time away caused by coronavirus pandemic.

MLB and the union mainly discussed the most immediate items for workouts, player pay, etc. On schedule: broad talks, for example, about whether once return to waive CBA rules, for example, about automatic day off after 20 games in a row or flying West to East as way to play more regular season games once return. But feeling is that until greater clarity on when play can resume it is hard to work out schedule plans or decide about removed off-days, adding double-headers or adding times after current reg season ends on 9/27.

Were I the union, I'd drag a hard line on any capitulation.

They simply do not need to play all those games and more games in a row will result in more injuries and a poorer product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Were I the union, I'd drag a hard line on any capitulation.

They simply do not need to play all those games and more games in a row will result in more injuries and a poorer product.
    Full 40 man rosters, double headers F, Sa, Su - off the rest of the week.

I kid, but could you imagine that schedule?

Turn Off Ads?