Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball, Sports and the Corona Virus

Re: Baseball, Sports and the Corona Virus

Now they say the polls will be closed as Dr. Acton declares a health emergency.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Good. I suspect the judge wanted to shut down the election but couldn't on the law.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Three minutes before your post an appeal to the judges ruling was filed.

This is an absolute disaster. No one knows what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Good. I suspect the judge wanted to shut down the election but couldn't on the law.
    Seems so. Here is the Judge:

https://ballotpedia.org/Richard_Frye

So here's the order from Dr. Amy Acton that closes all of the polling locations in Ohio - https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/st...45738789306368

No clue how this is going to play out, but yeah - there it is.

I think this election should be postponed, but holy smokes is this the wrong way to do this. This is banana republic type stuff.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Three minutes before your post an appeal to the judges ruling was filed.

This is an absolute disaster. No one knows what's up.
    It's not a disaster. I understand why the AG office (or whomever) filed appeal with the courts, but the executive action in declaring an emergency moots the Judicial action.

We know about the election worker problem. I think turnout was going to be low anyway. And as the Dem and GOP heads, DeWine and Sec of State LaRose have been saying, mail balloting should be re-opened.

That's the thing to do.

It's not a disaster. I understand why the AG office (or whomever) filed appeal with the courts, but the executive action in declaring an emergency moots the Judicial action.

We know about the election worker problem. I think turnout was going to be low anyway. And as the Dem and GOP heads, DeWine and Sec of State LaRose have been saying, mail balloting will be re-opened.

That's the thing to do.
    It's a disaster in how it's played out in the last 8 hours and all of the uncertainty. I support the postponement 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think this election should be postponed, but holy smokes is this the wrong way to do this. This is banana republic type stuff.
    uhh...because things are extremely fluid all around the nation?

It's a disaster in how it's played out in the last 8 hours and all of the uncertainty. I support the postponement 100%.
    Given the ever-changing situations going on, what do you think they should have done? Folks can easily deal with 8 hours of uncertainty IMO.

Given the ever-changing situations going on, what do you think they should have done? Folks can easily deal with 8 hours of uncertainty IMO.
    I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying here.

Here's what I think happened: Pretty much everyone was on board with having to go to court to get a postponement. Everyone involved was completely shocked when the judge said no, and they then had to try to find another way.

What I'm saying is that at 7:00pm ET the judges ruling came out that the election was on. Then like 12 minutes later the board of elections was sending out emails and making robo-calls telling poll workers that the election was postponed. Then a little bit later, DeWine put out that Dr. Amy Acton was declaring a health emergency and it was back to being postponed. Then like 8 minutes later news broke that there was an appeal filed in court over the initial judges ruling. And then about 8 minutes after that, DeWine released the 3-page order from Dr. Acton that they now claim is the piece that matters and the election is off.

The uncertainty in that paragraph was a disaster. Some of it could have been avoided (the boards of election contacting workers to state the election was postponed at 7:10 and 7:40).

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying here.

Here's what I think happened: Pretty much everyone was on board with having to go to court to get a postponement. Everyone involved was completely shocked when the judge said no, and they then had to try to find another way.

What I'm saying is that at 7:00pm ET the judges ruling came out that the election was on. Then like 12 minutes later the board of elections was sending out emails and making robo-calls telling poll workers that the election was postponed. Then a little bit later, DeWine put out that Dr. Amy Acton was declaring a health emergency and it was back to being postponed. Then like 8 minutes later news broke that there was an appeal filed in court over the initial judges ruling. And then about 8 minutes after that, DeWine released the 3-page order from Dr. Acton that they now claim is the piece that matters and the election is off.

The uncertainty in that paragraph was a disaster. Some of it could have been a
    voided (the boards of election contacting workers to state the election was postponed at 7:10 and 7:40).
    Thank you for the amplification, it is helpful. All this stuff is taking place in a short time frame. I just can't get upset about it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Deciding what is and is not “political” when discussing an election is completely arbitrary lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Deciding what is and is not “political” when discussing an election is completely arbitrary lol
    Somethings have to be arbitrary.

North: There is a piano falling on you from the 4th floor!

Wonderful: That needs to be discussed.

North: OMG!

If I read things right, it sounds like the DeWine/Acton didn't necessarily overrule the judge. Judge basically said it was out of his hands and in the legislature's (are they even in session?), correct? Sounds like Acton has quite a bit of latitude in this situation. Honestly should have just gone this route to begin with.

Regardless, it's the right decision IMO and a postponement apparently has the backing of the two heads of the political parties. Tough to ask older people to vote when they'd be risking their health, especially for a primary. Talked to quite a few folks that badly wanted to vote, but are in at-risk categories.

Not to mention the questions of election legitimacy would follow if a fraction of people voted. It'll be interesting to see the vote #s in other states tomorrow that have decided to continue.

17. Likes:

North (03-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?