Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cleveland Browns

Re: 2020 Cleveland Browns

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Congrats, Cleveland fans. I've never seen a less surprising "upset" in my life, nor have I often seen a team more deserving of winning a playoff game as the Browns tonight. Well done, Browns, and I'll be rooting for them when they take on KC.
    I know the Steelers have been on the down-hill side over the last month; but besides having to travel to Pittsburgh (which is bad enough lol), I wasn't carrying good vibes after covid and injuries sent a pretty depleted Brown's team into the play-offs. Obviously the history is a factor, and not on the Brown's side. Now add to that we had to use back-ups in both coaching and on the field ... lost DE Vernon to injury, Garrett played (shoulder) banged up, and no Ward and a depleted secondary. I thought that would spell disaster facing BB. But I thought the "icing on the cake", as far as squelching any hope of a Brown's victory, was the loss of All Pro Guard Bitonio who was the rock of that offensive line, protects Baker, vs Pittsburgh's defensive front.

I never thought I'd see a Steeler team that couldn't run the ball. Wow! That put a lot of pressure on an aging Big Ben.

The only answer I have for last night's victory is that the Browns won it on heart, soul, and grit. I'm impressed and amazed.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

SteelSD (01-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Congrats GAC (and other Browns fans here), that's a long time coming.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

5. Likes:

GAC (01-12-2021),Kingspoint (01-19-2021),RiverRat13 (01-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I know the Steelers have been on the down-hill side over the last month; but besides having to travel to Pittsburgh (which is bad enough lol), I wasn't carrying good vibes after covid and injuries sent a pretty depleted Brown's team into the play-offs. Obviously the history is a factor, and not on the Brown's side. Now add to that we had to use back-ups in both coaching and on the field ... lost DE Vernon to injury, Garrett played (shoulder) banged up, and no Ward and a depleted secondary. I thought that would spell disaster facing BB. But I thought the "icing on the cake", as far as squelching any hope of a Brown's victory, was the loss of All Pro Guard Bitonio who was the rock of that offensive line, protects Baker, vs Pittsburgh's defensive front.

I never thought I'd see a Steeler team that couldn't run the ball. Wow! That put a lot of pressure on an aging Big Ben.

The only answer I have for last night's victory is that the Browns won it on heart, soul, and grit. I'm impressed and amazed.
    Ryan Finley and Bengals beat Pittsburgh.

It's Ben. He stinks right now.

But congrats. Great game last night.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Ryan Finley and Bengals beat Pittsburgh.

It's Ben. He stinks right now.

But congrats. Great game last night.
    Pittsburgh was gassed going into the end of the season due to their schedule and it showed. The fans complained but I haven’t seen the players or coaches.

Roethlisberger looked done in the picture I saw. Sitting on the bench with nobody around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A lot of it was game circumstance related but Ben broke the NFL record for completions in a game last night (47).

That last INT was mind-numbingly bad but on a lot of the others it was the Browns making a play. Stewart caught an INT that most guys drop. One INT was tipped at the line. Those 4 INT are a big “yeah but”, but other than that he was carving Cleveland up. Some was maybe due to the prevent, but Cleveland’s secondary was extremely outmanned. Kinda surprised they didn’t take big deep shots to Claypool.

So as a Browns fan I gotta say Ben wasn’t awful...I thought it was a gritty performance. I still hate him though!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A lot of it was game circumstance related but Ben broke the NFL record for completions in a game last night (47).

That last INT was mind-numbingly bad but on a lot of the others it was the Browns making a play. Stewart caught an INT that most guys drop. One INT was tipped at the line. Those 4 INT are a big “yeah but”, but other than that he was carving Cleveland up. Some was maybe due to the prevent, but Cleveland’s secondary was extremely outmanned. Kinda surprised they didn’t take big deep shots to Claypool.

So as a Browns fan I gotta say Ben wasn’t awful...I thought it was a gritty performance. I still hate him though!
    I think he was awful. He couldn’t take deep shots because of the defense and any time they held the ball longer than 3 seconds a browns lineman was in the backfield. He took what was given to him and largely threw a bunch of 7 yard dump offs. Every time the Browns played their real defense he threw an interception or was missing passes.

Love Jim Dovovan.

11. Likes:

GAC (01-13-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-11-2021)

Pitt WR Claypool, after the loss, said " the Browns are going to get clapped next week so it's all good". Pittsburgh Steeler players, when they lose, IMO, are sore losers who still feel the need to run their mouths.

And now KC WR Watkins takes a shot and says we're not competition. LOL

Browns fans, and players, are use to this stuff. And it's no problem because we have been down so long we've earned that "image". I have no problem wth them having to prove themselves. Doing a decent job so far.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-14-2021 at 04:22 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-15-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Ya gonna have me jumpin' on the bandwagon again today. Go Browns.

15. Likes:

kaldaniels (01-17-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-17-2021)

Rotoworld's take:

Baker Mayfield completed 23-of-37 passes for 204 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Browns' 22-17, Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs. With everything on the line, Mayfield was shaky, especially early. He was not helped by drops, offensive line injuries and awful game management from rookie coach Kevin Stefanski. Although it was not Mayfield's finest hour, he played well enough for the Browns to beat a team that lost Patrick Mahomes for the final 20 minutes. The Browns just could not get out of their own way, especially with 1:42 remaining in the second quarter, where Rashard Higgins fumbled a potential 49-yard touchdown out the back of the end zone. Nothing cost the Browns more than Stefanski's second half game management. 2020 was the best season of 25-year-old Mayfield's pro career, but he still created too little offense on his own. Mayfield needs the run game humming and the play-calling clicking to really elevate his squad. He remains one of the league's very worst quarterbacks when pressured. That's not a trait that usually improves. With Odell Beckham's Browns future in question, Mayfield could have limited weapons as a passer in 2021.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I give credit where credit's due - to Andy Reid who went into that game with the right plan - stop the Brown's run game. They did a solid job, and it also didn't help when the Brown's O-line lost Wills early. BIG loss there. I thought Stefanski made some adjustmens at halftime, and it showed. But other then Mayfield's INT, that resulted in a missed FG, Mayfield was moving the team in the 2nd half. They were shooting themselves in the foot, but he wasn't the culprit IMO. And one of the biggest culprits for the Bowns all year has been their secondary.

I don't understand where they say he's one of the very worse performing QBs under pressure? He's had a far better year this year then last, but even at the conclusion of the '19 season, behind of the NFL's worst offensive lines, there were a lot of other starting QBs that performed worse them him under pressure .... https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...re-2019-season

IMO, he is turning the corner and showing maturity, better decision-making with the ball. This kid has had how many different HCs, along with coaching staff and playbook to learn, in the three short years he's been here? And this is also Stefanski's rookie season as a HC. We've come a long way from 0-16.

I think Stefanski didn't call a good game in the 4th quarter. Chubb was having a rough day, they were keying on him, and when he did put a fresh Hunt in there he was being more effective. But he stopped it, and went back with Chubb. I know Chubb was the one who got you there, but again, in this game - adapt. And he certainly didn't manage his TOs and clock well in the 4Q. My biggest beef was with the defensive coordinator and some of the lop-sided lineups and schemes he was utilizing.

But the Browns had opportunities and simply did not take advantage. But it didn't help matters with the refs screwing them on that non-call for targeting and helmet-to-helmet hit at the goal line on Higgins. And they did review it because it was a goal line play ... and still missed it! Even the lead review guy in NY called it.

Browns are in a touch division. How can any Brown fan not be excited at their performance this season? Address you secondary, and get LBer help for Garrett.

It drives me absolutely crazy when a guy fumbles during or after head to head contact and its not called. It shows how little they really care about safety, even now.

I was pulling for the Browns, but I still didn't expect them to come that close. Upgrading the defense would go a long way all around, because that's a team built to play with a lead, not to come from behind.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

Chip R (01-26-2021),GAC (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I give credit where credit's due - to Andy Reid who went into that game with the right plan - stop the Brown's run game. They did a solid job, and it also didn't help when the Brown's O-line lost Wills early. BIG loss there. I thought Stefanski made some adjustmens at halftime, and it showed. But other then Mayfield's INT, that resulted in a missed FG, Mayfield was moving the team in the 2nd half. They were shooting themselves in the foot, but he wasn't the culprit IMO. And one of the biggest culprits for the Bowns all year has been their secondary.

I don't understand where they say he's one of the very worse performing QBs under pressure? He's had a far better year this year then last, but even at the conclusion of the '19 season, behind of the NFL's worst offensive lines, there were a lot of other starting QBs that performed worse them him under pressure .... https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...re-2019-season

IMO, he is turning the corner and showing maturity, better decision-making with the ball. This kid has had how many different HCs, along with coaching staff and playbook to learn, in the three short years he's been here? And this is also Stefanski's rookie season as a HC. We've come a long way from 0-16.

I think Stefanski didn't call a good game in the 4th quarter. Chubb was having a rough day, they were keying on him, and when he did put a fresh Hunt in there he was being more effective. But he stopped it, and went back with Chubb. I know Chubb was the one who got you there, but again, in this game - adapt. And he certainly didn't manage his TOs and clock well in the 4Q. My biggest beef was with the defensive coordinator and some of the lop-sided lineups and schemes he was utilizing.

But the Browns had opportunities and simply did not take advantage. But it didn't help matters with the refs screwing them on that non-call for targeting and helmet-to-helmet hit at the goal line on Higgins. And they did review it because it was a goal line play ... and still missed it! Even the lead review guy in NY called it.

Browns are in a touch division. How can any Brown fan not be excited at their performance this season? Address you secondary, and get LBer help for Garrett.
    I was a Mayfield skeptic before this season but he proved me wrong. He was very good this year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I was a Mayfield skeptic before this season but he proved me wrong. He was very good this year.
    I didn't support drafting him. Josh Allen was my guy! LOL But here's the thing. I was listening to the ESPNs and experts "stereotypes" of Mayfield (shortness, etc) and believed them. And it ws also why, by many, there were other QBs more "worthy" of being drafted #1 then Mayfield. He wasn't in the running. Until late.

But once he was drafted, and over the Summer, I started doing more research on him by some pretty respected articles that do a pretty deep analysis/critique. I was impressed. And of course it comes down to the type of offensive scheme they're in. Is it a setting where they can thrive? But the various QB grading stats and scores they gave him opened my eyes some. At Oklahoma, he thrived on play action and improvising.

I just think it has been a combination of issues with Baker .... maturity, consistency with a good head coach who may know what he's doing, and also knows what offensive scheme will thrive with the talent he has assembled (not just Mayfield).

2020 showed how much the offense was gelling ... but it also showed their huge weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball. The Browns have had a lot of bad look with injuries in '20 to our secondary. Greedy has been out all season (shoulder nerve damage), but was close to returning for the play-offs. Then there was standout rookie Safety Delpit who tore his Achilles in training camp. Talented player at LSU, and winner of the Jim Thorpe Award. So the question for Brown's management is - how much do you trust these two to be healthy, win the starting position and stay healthy? Yeah, I think both could be a big help, but.....

They also have to address the LBer position. I'm tired of watching these guys get burned all the time on underneath coverage and crossing patterns before and after the catch! LOL

Defense has to be the priority with this draft and FA market IMO.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Hopefully, I get to see the Browns a little more often next year.

Turn Off Ads?