Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2020 Cleveland Browns

Re: 2020 Cleveland Browns

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Hopefully, I get to see the Browns a little more often next year.
    I live right smack-dab in central Ohio, and I have a hard time gettting them. Why? Because the Bengal's broadcast region covers almost 90% of the state (lol). I don't have cable or satellite, we stream. But it doesn't matter the source, my "locals" are always out of Dayton even though I'm closer to Columbus. So what team do you think the CBS Dayton station is broadcasting a majority of the time?

Before they went switched from analog to digital I could get both Columbus and Dayton stations via an internal antenna. Not Columbus anymore. But if I put up an outside aerial I can. So that is what I am looking at doing come warm weather.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be that much talk about this. It's like: "It's the Browns, who cares?".

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be that much talk about this. It's like: "It's the Browns, who cares?".
    It's insane. Had this happened to one of the NFL chosen teams, this would still be talked about and there would be rule changes and review changes coming this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    The crazy thing about this play was that it was clear Sorensen did it deliberately.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Pretend you are there on the field as a DB and Higgins is about to score. How can you decide to just drop your arms to your side and propel yourself forward headfirst? I like my brain.

10. Likes:

GAC (01-22-2021)

I just think it's another example of just how bad the ref's have been in the NFL this year. They did review it, only because it was a goal-line play, and still seemed to put the "binders" on when it came to the illegal hit. It was almost like "Yeah, we see it; but that's not why we're reviewing the play, so we can't take that into consideration." LOL

As for that NFL rule on fumbling the ball through the endzone, and why it still exists, this article explains the reasoning (and it's from four years ago) ...

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nf...he-first-place

“Because the goal line is involved — and this is a consistent application of the impetus rule,” Blandino said. “Impetus is the force that puts the ball into an end zone. So if a team provides the impetus that puts a ball into their opponent’s end zone . . . then they are responsible for it. They’re responsible for it. And if the ball gets out of bounds through the end zone then it is a touchback. [...]

“Now that may seem like an egregious penalty but again, think about it, they put the ball into their opponent’s end zone,” Blandino said. “If it’s not fourth down or inside two minutes, if they recover it, it’s a score. So that’s potentially a big play, so the penalty for not recovering it . . . has to be big as well. That’s why it’s a touchback. That’s consistent with other loose balls that go into an opponent’s end zone. Kicks, punts, fumbles, backward passes."

Wait, what?

If that seems like a roundabout explanation, Blandino clarified things with his conclusion:

“You’re responsible for putting the ball into your opponent’s end zone, you’re responsible for recovering it,” Blandino said. “If you don’t and it goes out of bounds or the defense recovers, they’ve defended their goal line, and they get a touchback.”

And that's the simplest explanation I've ever heard for that rule. Taking a shot at the end zone is essentially a risk in the rule book, with the reward naturally being a touchdown. If the offense chooses to advance the ball across the goal line in any way, it is responsible for securing possession if things go poorly.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-22-2021 at 03:34 AM.

12. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?