Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Well whaddaya know

Well whaddaya know

Back in March of 2014 I made this post...

"I've traveled and lived all over this country and have followed baseball for 59 years. I must say that Reds fans in general and contributors of these forums specifically are the most intelligent, baseball savvy people I've ever encountered. The logic and knowledge most of you exhibit in your posts I believe rivals most "sports writers" across the country, and you are to be commended for it.

That being said, a friend of mine and I enjoy talking baseball and he once offered a rule change idea I've never heard of in my life and must say has enough merit to at least examine with all of you. I would enjoy reading your thoughts on this idea.

Why not allow a batter the attempt to steal first base at any time during his plate appearance. Of course there are logistics to consider but the idea is sound in my opinion."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Well whaddaya know

Basically run to 1st on a PB or WP? Is it a force or must he be tagged?

Haunted by walks

Potential future Hall-of-Famer Billy Hamilton is all in.

At first I thought, “A straight steal of first base? No way that’s possible.” But if you can steal home, maybe you could. Between the pitcher’s motion. the catcher’s catch and throw, taking care not to plunk you in the back, and the first baseman making it to the bag, maybe there’s a chance. You don’t have the lead that helps with stealing home, but you have the second throw.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I like the idea of doing it on a PB or WP. For one thing, that would increase the risk for throwing at or behind a batter. And this is something the rules already allow on a 3rd strike (though for a different reason).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

That was an experimental rule in the Atlantic League last year

Why just 1st base. Allow him to steal 2nd or 3rd from the batters box if he feels he can lol

Matter of fact, let's let guys steal 3rd from 1st base and home from 1st and 2nd also.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Why just 1st base. Allow him to steal 2nd or 3rd from the batters box if he feels he can lol

Matter of fact, let's let guys steal 3rd from 1st base and home from 1st and 2nd also.
    Stealing 3rd from 1st is perfectly legal, assuming you hit second along the way. Brandon Phillips once did it. He hit second standing up and never slowed down as the ball was being slowly tossed back to the pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?