Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Dr. Fauci gave some very sobering projections today. All but guarantees the United States will have millions of cases along with over 100,000 deaths.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/...e-c48f1b3c5b0e
    Last edited by Ron Gant; 03-29-2020 at 01:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea that is. Not only are you risking freezing temperatures for 2/3 of the league, but there is a significant chance that the bug we're trying not to pass around at the moment will only go on hiatus during the the longer days in the summer and we'll be back to staying at home in the fall. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but if they're going to plan a baseball season then they need to work off the best available information, not hope. It would be immensely disappointing for them to start a season they can't finish.
    Their in$i$tence on planning a full (or close to full) season of baseball this year is pretty ridiculous.

I'm all for optimism but come on.

4. Likes:

M2 (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Mike DeWine has scheduled an impromptu press conference at 2 pm. Something he has to say might relate to if/when entertainment enterprises like the Reds could reopen.

WLW will cover it live.

6. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-29-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea that is. Not only are you risking freezing temperatures for 2/3 of the league, but there is a significant chance that the bug we're trying not to pass around at the moment will only go on hiatus during the the longer days in the summer and we'll be back to staying at home in the fall. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but if they're going to plan a baseball season then they need to work off the best available information, not hope. It would be immensely disappointing for them to start a season they can't finish.
    For what it’s worth, Fauci has said a second wave is possible but that it would likely be a diminished form of the virus and we would be much more prepared by then that we wouldn’t likely end up in the same situation we’re in now again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    For what it’s worth, Fauci has said a second wave is possible but that it would likely be a diminished form of the virus and we would be much more prepared by then that we wouldn’t likely end up in the same situation we’re in now again.
    I think you're misinterpreting that. I work with people on the municipal planning end of this and the word they're getting from the epidemiologists is we're more than likely looking at waves of outbreak. They're planning for public school buildings to be shutdown for periods of the next school year. Some of that is "hope for the best, plan for the worst," but the larger point is it's something responsible people are planning for. I'd rather get the season MLB has high confidence it can deliver than a late start followed by a cancellation before the ending.
    Last edited by M2; 03-29-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That's not anywhere near what Fauci has said regarding secondary waves.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    That's not anywhere near what Fauci has said regarding secondary waves.
    Yes it is, but I know you have a certain predilection when it comes to this, so I’m not even going to bother.

11. Likes:

Gunner44 (03-29-2020),jup (03-29-2020)

...never says anything about it being a diminished form of the virus.

1 hr 59 minute mark, Fauci discussing secondary wave

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another quote from Fauci's interview with Stephen Curry.

19 minute mark, Fauci discussing a potential vaccine and secondary waves

“If we really push, we hope we will know by the time we get to next winter {2021} whether or not we have something that works,” Fauci said in reference to a vaccine. “Vaccines are going to be important for next time around, not for what we’re dealing with now.”

Vaccine Phase One: 3 to 4 months if lucky, Phase Two: 8 months....about a year to a year and a half, if we are lucky.

"I think this virus will cycle into another season, this virus is very, very transmissible," Fauci said. "I can't imagine it's just going to disappear."

If/When a secondary phase takes place.

"I think, I hope that we would be able to immediately identify, isolate, and contact trace {those infected}. If we do that effectively, we could prevent an outbreak."

As for the seriousness of the virus.

"I'd like to get the people in the country to realize that we are dealing with a serious problem...we've got too as a country pull together - use the energy to be able to confront it and put an end to it".

Not talking about secondary waves, but still educational enough to put it on here - Fauci talking about the virus' morbidity and mortality, the way it spreads, how long it survives on inanimate objects, the virus' ability to effect young people too, moral responsibility of society to self isolate and social distance, other drugs that are used for malaria, a "15-day" clock, "8" week stage of virus predictability, re-infection and immunity.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03...gist-predicts/

An article discussing a secondary wave, not Fauci - but another Dr. and owner of a company dealing with pathogen testing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...of-second-wave

Another good article referring to potential secondary waves based on historical viruses.

This question is going to be also posed in the COVID thread in the non-sports forum so hopefully it will be continued there as it is not baseball related...but I'm posting it here as well so it is not missed.

Kinsm -

You had a pretty dire post on Friday before that day's numbers were finalized. You said in a couple days the US daily death toll would hit 1000. A few days after that it would be 2000. And a few days after that it would be 4000.

When exactly do you see the US hitting each of those numbers - you caused me to take a look and things and I can't help but feel like you got out ahead of yourself. Standard disclaimer - this is not the flu and a huge and serious issue, not trying to take away from that.

14. Likes:

jup (03-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This question is going to be also posed in the COVID thread in the non-sports forum so hopefully it will be continued there as it is not baseball related...but I'm posting it here as well so it is not missed.

Kinsm -

You had a pretty dire post on Friday before that day's numbers were finalized. You said in a couple days the US daily death toll would hit 1000. A few days after that it would be 2000. And a few days after that it would be 4000.

When exactly do you see the US hitting each of those numbers - you caused me to take a look and things and I can't help but feel like you got out ahead of yourself. Standard disclaimer - this is not the flu and a huge and serious issue, not trying to take away from that.
    You forgot the 2 million people dying. He will say that was without mitigation.

But the way he posts it - it is as though it will happen with what is currently being done. It fits his narrative

16. Likes:

westofyou (03-29-2020)

If they come up with a treatment for this, such as a drug cocktail of hydroxychloroquine + Z-Pack + Zinc then this disease becomes a lot less scary and a lot more manageable. Imagine a scenario where you get that 15 test from Abbott labs, upon a positive result your doctor gives you a 5 day Rx and you go home and recover. At that point the hospitalizations and the ventilators become far less and then we can return to normal and play baseball again. That's my hope

18. Likes:

jup (03-29-2020),RedEye (03-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If they come up with a treatment for this, such as a drug cocktail of hydroxychloroquine + Z-Pack + Zinc then this disease becomes a lot less scary and a lot more manageable. Imagine a scenario where you get that 15 test from Abbott labs, upon a positive result your doctor gives you a 5 day Rx and you go home and recover. At that point the hospitalizations and the ventilators become far less and then we can return to normal and play baseball again. That's my hope
    Your post hits the nail on the head.

That is going to have to be one of the things that they get to before wide spread "baseball as we know it" returns. Rapid testing and some therapeutics.

20. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-29-2020)

Crowdless, silent baseball will be surreal. They should overdub NES crowd noises during broadcasts.

22. Likes:

M2 (03-30-2020),NebraskaRed (03-30-2020),Old school 1983 (03-30-2020)

Haunted by walks

I think back to when we packed (or partly filled) the ballpark not even thinking about who was sitting next to us and what they might have been carrying, while passing a foil-wrapped hot dog down the row. Or standing in line at the concessions, or in the semi-regularly cleaned restrooms. It will be interesting to see what kind of “normal” we’ll return to. We still do some things differently because of 9/11, but we returned to doing dopey silly stuff, too. Oh for the days when the only outbreak we worried about was the Woo.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-30-2020),Roy Tucker (03-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Crowdless, silent baseball will be surreal. They should overdub NES crowd noises during broadcasts.
    It will be a lot like Stadiums in the 60's or Crosley in the day when 3K would show up

Turn Off Ads?