Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

We already know the season, if it happens, will get a late start. June seems optimistic at this point. On top of that, will they need to wrap things early to be sure the end of the season doesn't get cancelled? It begs the question, how do you organize a three-month season?

I'm thinking our standard setup might not be up the task. For instance, maybe everybody makes the playoffs. And if the regular season is two months long, maybe you only play teams in your division (maybe 14 games against each one). Maybe we go to four divisions instead of six. Maybe they scramble the leagues. No reason to pretend this is a normal season. Giving fans something completely different might generate more interest than organizing a shrunken down version of what we're used to. Rules changes? Yes! Maybe even play 7 inning games instead of 9 inning games. Whatever baseball we get in 2020 should be weird.

And will fans be allowed to attend games? Even if we get beyond social distancing, gathering tens of thousands people together might be frowned upon.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-23-2020),texasdave (03-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Expand the roster, and then play lots of 7-inning doubleheaders.

5. Likes:

KYExtemper (03-21-2020)

Beautiful. It will be beautiful.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-20-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (03-21-2020),Ron Madden (03-20-2020),stein1214 (03-29-2020),westofyou (03-20-2020)

3 game series vs every other team, take the top 8 teams, no matter the league, and make that the playoffs.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

FlightRick (03-20-2020),M2 (03-20-2020)

Why would the season end early?

Think 1981, who knew it would be a split season, who knew best record would not matter.

This is MLB, don’t count on it being normal the longer it takes to start the season

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Why would the season end early?
    Once the weather cools down after the summer, the expectation is COVID-19 is going to ramp up again.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    3 game series vs every other team, take the top 8 teams, no matter the league, and make that the playoffs.
    I like that idea, but it might have to be two games instead of three.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Once the weather cools down after the summer, the expectation is COVID-19 is going to ramp up again.
    It also seems pretty likely (or at least possible) that we’ll have effective treatments for it by then, so we should be able to mitigate it at that point. I would be surprised if any league has fans in attendance this year though.

16. Likes:

George Anderson (03-22-2020)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That's in line with what I would aim for, length-of-season-wise (assuming you can get started on or around July 1). Only thing I was thinking different was that instead of going 3 games versus the other 29 teams, you keep AL/NL separate and go 6 games (home-and-home) against the other 14 teams (no divisions), with the absolute bare minimum number (6?) of interleague games per team.

I'd also go with the top 6 teams in each league making the playoffs. Two get byes, the other 4 play a 3 game series (all at the higher-seeded team's stadium). Reseed, and do the LDS and LCS as normal.

If it's gonna be implausible to play 80-90 games, that's when I'm happy to start getting creative, doing away with divisions and leagues altogether to figure out an equitable schedule. Maybe something like the World Cup? Create 10 pods of 3 teams each and create 2 divisions of 5 pods each (some mix of geography and competitive balance goes into both pods and divisions). Play your "pod" home and home (6 games x 2 teams = 12 total) and play your "division" once (3 games x 12 teams = 36 total). So it's a 48 game regular season, not ideal; but better than no baseball season at all.... proceed basically the same as above for playoffs: 10 pod winners and 2 wild cards (regardless of division)... seed 1-12, top 4 seeds get a bye, bottom 8 seeds play a 3-game series (all games at higher seed).... reseed 1-8, and proceed with a 5 game series and two 7 game series.
    Last edited by FlightRick; 03-20-2020 at 09:49 PM.

I just hope they play. I don’t know where the bottom of this is but we aren’t close to it yet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

KYExtemper (03-21-2020),mth123 (03-21-2020),North (03-20-2020),Old school 1983 (03-21-2020),RedsfaninMT (03-22-2020),Ron Madden (03-20-2020)

Once it starts I'd expect balance and limited travel, maybe they remake the schedule, maybe they tighten inter-divison play

It will be better baseball than they had during WWII

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-21-2020),Old school 1983 (03-21-2020),westofyou (03-20-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I just hope they play. I don’t know where the bottom of this is but we aren’t close to it yet.
    Maybe it’s just my mental health issues that push me to be this way, but I feel like I have no choice but to be optimistic right now. If I didn’t force myself to look for reasons that things are going to work out the way we hope, I would be going insane right now.

Having said that - there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that for various reasons, we might be okay and it won’t be forever for us to get though it. There’s evidence suggesting the virus is mutating to actually be less dangerous, as many similar viruses do. There are at least 3-4 different existing drugs that have begun to show a lot of promise in terms of drastically reducing the symptoms and severity of the infection. There’s also various studies out there suggesting that this virus has been widespread for much longer than we’ve known, and that many more people have actually been asymptomatic than we realized all along, which suggests it might not be as threatening as we believe it to be.

I believe there will be baseball in some form this year. I believe life will be at least halfway back to normal sooner than later. I believe those things because I kind of have to believe them for my own well-being, but the good news is that there are actually reasons to believe them.

Just felt compelled to add that to the conversation.

24. Likes:

757690 (03-21-2020),alwaysawarrior (03-23-2020),BobRoberts (03-23-2020),Rojo (03-27-2020),Ron Madden (03-21-2020),Roy Tucker (03-21-2020),savafan (03-22-2020),The Operator (03-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don’t think there has been any scientific evidence to support the virus prefers colder weather.

Turn Off Ads?