Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
Results 1,006 to 1,016 of 1016

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    They aren't, so why do you keep stating that as a fact?
    I was responding to another poster who said that they should not need to take a pay cut. I was not stating that as a fact.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

If only the coronavirus could be detected by an MRI, and treated by rubbing a little dirt on it.

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-14-2020),M2 (05-11-2020),North (05-11-2020)

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/3108092001/

You can see why both sides would want to protect their interests. The owners are spending a lot of money to keep their operations going with no revenue coming. The players have lost a half year’s salary already. The average MLB career is 5.6 years long, according to a 2007 study, so the average player lost 11 percent of his career earnings.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-11-2020)

If this forces the NL to adopt the DH moving forward, then the reds would be lucky.

You can see why both sides would want to protect their interests. The owners are spending a lot of money to keep their operations going with no revenue coming. The players have lost a half year’s salary already. The average MLB career is 5.6 years long, according to a 2007 study, so the average player lost 11 percent of his career earnings.
    This is simply not true - the owners get money for TV rights, and as of the current date, no networks have clawed back anything. However, the owners have not produced any games.

Now usually in these type deals, if the ongoing relationship between network and sports franchise is important enough, they don't try to claw back, they mutually try to work out some type of compensation in some other fashion (expanded playoffs where the real money is). Here we do not know the answer as to how this will eventually play out. BUT .......... those rights for the the network deals that were negotiated is a revenue stream that the owners are still reaping

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/coro...r-refunds.html

And to say the owners have no revenue is just factually inaccurate
    Last edited by jup; 05-11-2020 at 08:34 PM.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-11-2020),757690 (05-11-2020)

I got this idea from former Post beat writer Bill Peterson, and I think it's an interesting one, one worth some discussion.

It's based on the assumption that the owners are set on playing hardball and trying to break the union in 2022 when the current CBA is up. These current negotiations suggest strongly that this is the case, along with many other hints the owners have been giving since Manfred has been commissioner. If you don't agree with this assumption, nothing to discuss. But if you do, here is Peterson's proposal for the players.

Reject this proposal not on money issues, but safety issues, and make safety demands that the owners will never accept. That shouldn't be hard to come up with, considering how serious this health crisis is, and all its implications. Don't give in, and eventually cancel the season. This will be a de facto strike, without it looking like a strike, or even the players making financial demands. It will be framed as a health issue.

The players will lose their salaries for this year, but they have already negotiated service time will count, and $170M in pay to be distributed among themselves. So they get service time and $170M and a strike, and very little blowback from the fans. The owners will never allow a strike in 2022, so this also puts the players in the driver's seat for negotiations in 2022.

It would suck for fans this year, but it may be the best thing for baseball long term, and result in another long period of labor peace.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 757690; 05-11-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I got this idea from former Post beat writer Bill Peterson, and I think it's an interesting one, one worth some discussion.

It's based on the assumption that the owners are set on playing hardball and trying to break the union in 2022 when the current CBA is up. These current negotiations suggest strongly that this is the case, along with many other hints the owners have been giving since Manfred has been commissioner. If you don't agree with this assumption, nothing to discuss. But if you do, here is Peterson's proposal for the players.

Reject this proposal not on money issues, but safety issues, and make safety demands that the owners will never accept. That shouldn't be hard to come up with, considering how serious this health crisis is, and all its implications. Don't give in, and eventually cancel the season. This will be a de facto strike, without it looking like a strike, or even the players making financial demands. It will be framed as a health issue.

The players will lose their salaries for this year, but they have already negotiated service time will count, and $750M in pay to be distributed among themselves. So they get service time and $750M and a strike, and very little blowback from the fans. The owners will never allow a strike in 2022, so this also puts the players in the driver's seat for negotiations in 2022.

It would suck for fans this year, but it may be the best thing for baseball long term, and result in another long period of labor peace.

Thoughts?
    The players got $170M, not $750M. Now back to not posting for me.

This is not the year to posture on either side.

The NFL is going to find a way to play. If baseball can’t get it done then it will be a disgrace to the league worse than the cancelled World Series.

And there won’t be any steroids to bail them out going forward.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-11-2020),Hoosier Red (05-14-2020),North (05-11-2020),REDREAD (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The players got $170M, not $750M. Now back to not posting for me.
    Sorry, I knew that, I will correct it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That's not what he wrote.

But to respond to your queston, nobody is being "forced" to go back to work (this is, after all, America and not the USSR). Everybody has a choice, but many will make that decision for economic reasons rather than safety reasons...
    What? People aren’t forced to go back to work? Last I checked food and shelter costs money.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Aren't English Premier League clubs owned by like their fans or something? Sorry, it's a sport I'm not interested in from another country so I'm not too familiar...
    No
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?