Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Haunted by walks

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by madeirawood View Post
    But i think they are talking about playing games at spring training sites without any fans in attendance.
    You’re right, that’s what they’re talking about, and it could work. But this might apply here, too. Hypothetical: “Derek Dietrich has been placed on the 28-day CL, the Goodyear facilities have been sanitized, and the games continue.”

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    You’re right, that’s what they’re talking about, and it could work. But this might apply here, too. Hypothetical: “Derek Dietrich has been placed on the 28-day CL, the Goodyear facilities have been sanitized, and the games continue.”
    So what do they do with the rest of the players on the team in this scenario? Just let them continue to go out and play, and potentially spread it to the rest of the team and then in two weeks the Reds have 22 players on the 28-day CL?

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So what do they do with the rest of the players on the team in this scenario? Just let them continue to go out and play, and potentially spread it to the rest of the team and then in two weeks the Reds have 22 players on the 28-day CL?
    Yeah, that’s my point about the supermarkets. They say, it was one worker, we sanitized, we’re still open. I think being able to test will have to be part of it for baseball. But you’d think the supermarkets would be more critical.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-05-2020)

This is just my opinion, but unless a proven treatment and or vaccine is developed, no team or spectator sport will resume.

When you have perfectly healthy people under 40 dying suddenly, no intelligent person is going to risk mass gatherings unless there is a medical solution and not a Purell+Lysol answer.

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-07-2020)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Whenever it does come back, I'll be there, and I'll never take it for granted again.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-06-2020),kaldaniels (04-05-2020),marcshoe (04-05-2020),mbgrayson (04-06-2020),NebraskaRed (04-05-2020),Ron Madden (04-06-2020),Roy Tucker (04-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    This is just my opinion, but unless a proven treatment and or vaccine is developed, no team or spectator sport will resume.

When you have perfectly healthy people under 40 dying suddenly, no intelligent person is going to risk mass gatherings unless there is a medical solution and not a Purell+Lysol answer.
    Covid 19 will always be around. There will be a vaccine at some point, and there will be better treatment in the near future. Right now there is an outbreak that has the potential to overwhelm our hospitals.

There will become a point where it becomes more background noise than a pandemic. There will be a point where millions have antibodies to prevent the disease and millions more will be vaccinated against it. I think we will get to a place where it becomes like the flu. Crazy thing is we don't know enough about the virus. We are learning as much as we can based upon all the real time data we can collect. I could see a scenario this fall (or winter) when leagues start back up to random testing. Look what happened to the Jazz, two players tested positive, they went into isolation, and you haven't heard about it again.

I think we can see a point where games begin to empty stadiums, then limited fans, and then return to normal. Unfortunately I really don't see a path for baseball to start this season. They would need a month of training after the virus has subsided. If it could be played during the winter, maybe it happens, but playing a shorted 2020 season may impact the 2021 season, when things should be normal.

Imagine the lawsuit if a player died from COVID in this spring training quarantine scenario.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 04-06-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    In terms of when it’s safe to open up again: I’ve noticed several supermarkets around here reporting that a worker contracted the Coronavirus, last worked on this date and time, and we’ve sanitized everything, and we’re still open. If you think you may have come into contact and have symptoms, call your doctor.

Maybe baseball will take that approach. It’s a little harder though if you have to say, a vendor at the Aug. 31 game contracted the virus; everyone in sections 134-139 watch for symptoms.
    Here’s the difference:

The general public needs food to live.

The general public does not need baseball to live.

Baseball ain’t happening this summer folks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Here’s the difference:

The general public needs food to live.

The general public does not need baseball to live.

Baseball ain’t happening this summer folks.
    You don't know that. That's pretty much the truth until the season is canceled.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-07-2020),Rdirtypirates (04-06-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Agreed. After golf postponed their major tournaments to the fall, I could see a scenario where baseball is played in the fall at Spring Training sites. It won't be the same, but it would still be baseball.

Nothing but speculation here...which is fine. But I don't know how this is going to play out and neither does anyone else as of April 6.

18. Likes:

bucksfan2 (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Obviously it’s speculation

Imagine the lawsuit if a player died from COVID in this spring training quarantine scenario.
    I don't think we quite understand what COVID19 will become. There will always be viruses, bacteria, hazards of the job when society returns to normal. I think we "fear" COVID19 right now because of the unknown nature of the virus. Thing is, a month or so ago we walked into work every single day without a care about all the stuff going around. The flu, common cold, other viruses were present, but we continued about our daily life as normal. Just this past flu season, the local school district (k-12) had to shut down because 600 kids were sick from the flu.

Look at it this way, tomorrow we will know more that we do today about COVID19. And each day we will continue to gain knowledge. We will gain treatment measures, will have some herd immunity due to the number of people who have had the virus and recovered. We will always have cases were a virus goes through a clubhouse, heck I think in this past spring training a few Reds had to be sent home because of the flu. In a couple of months, year, etc. we will have a much better treatment for COVID, heck with everything being thrown at it right now, we may even have a cure for the virus.

There will come a point in society where the non stop coverage goes away from COVID and onto something new. COVID will have a place in the back of our minds but not in the forefront of everything we do. Today, it was released that Ohio may peak in needed resources Wednesday. The uncertainty of this virus may have caused more panic than anything else.

21. Likes:

KYRedsFan (04-08-2020)

Obviously it’s speculation
    Then with all due repeat let’s phrase it better than condescendingly saying “baseball ain’t happening this summer folks.”

You’re a good guy so I’m not trying to give you a hard time but phrasing like that is asking for pushback.

23. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-07-2020),Edd Roush (04-06-2020),NebraskaRed (04-06-2020),westofyou (04-06-2020)

I personally think a July 4th start date writes itself. Dependent upon the virus of course.

Turn Off Ads?