Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Haunted by walks

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    When baseball comes back, the catcher will not be the only player wearing a mask.
    Expect to see the return of the neighborhood play.

2. Likes:

texasdave (04-07-2020),westofyou (04-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think the games with no fans thing will fly. Abbot Labs came out with a test unit that gives positive results in 5 minutes and negative in 13 minutes. With the extremely limited pool of affected people, that will work. I question the Arizona part of it. If you are in Az you are limited to about 11 parks and if you do that families have to be isolated for months.

And if you are trying to do DH's you are playing in the broiling sun. I think this is better proposal: Play your games at home. That keeps the families from being isolated for months. And only one team (per city) is hoteled at once versus two. You can have one or 2 guys who are responsible driving the team to/from the airport.

The only added variable is flights, and I assume teams can work the logistics on that to keep separation. Maybe you have to charter 2 planes.

For "Spring Training" just do intrasquad games at home stadium..

All industries are going to have to think about ways to work around this until we get a vaccine. I think this is viable step for MLB.

I think players will support it in general. If a player wants to opt out, I think they will do so without penalty. Here's where I anticipate a problem. Owners are going to want to prorate salaries because of loss of fan revenue, and players won't.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-07-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

DocRed (04-07-2020),Edd Roush (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think the games with no fans thing will fly. Abbot Labs came out with a test unit that gives positive results in 5 minutes and negative in 13 minutes. With the extremely limited pool of affected people, that will work.
    Yep in 2 months rapid testing should be widely available for anyone that wants to use it. The NBA has already talked about this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think the games with no fans thing will fly. Abbot Labs came out with a test unit that gives positive results in 5 minutes and negative in 13 minutes. With the extremely limited pool of affected people, that will work. I question the Arizona part of it. If you are in Az you are limited to about 11 parks and if you do that families have to be isolated for months.

And if you are trying to do DH's you are playing in the broiling sun. I think this is better proposal: Play your games at home. That keeps the families from being isolated for months. And only one team (per city) is hoteled at once versus two. You can have one or 2 guys who are responsible driving the team to/from the airport.

The only added variable is flights, and I assume teams can work the logistics on that to keep separation. Maybe you have to charter 2 planes.

For "Spring Training" just do intrasquad games at home stadium..

All industries are going to have to think about ways to work around this until we get a vaccine. I think this is viable step for MLB.

I think players will support it in general. If a player wants to opt out, I think they will do so without penalty. Here's where I anticipate a problem. Owners are going to want to prorate salaries because of loss of fan revenue, and players won't.

If they want this to work they are going to need to keep players isolated from their families in the beginning. If their salaries depend on it I doubt there is much push back.
    Last edited by davereds24; 04-07-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Maybe if we all hold out a little bit longer, grit our teeth as we're going through withdrawal, cold turkey, we'll be rid of our addiction once and for all? LMAO
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Glad to hear talks of the season starting in May. The idea of there being no season in 2020 is ridiculous.

10. Likes:

DocRed (04-08-2020),Rdirtypirates (04-08-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoseLiqiquat View Post
    Glad to hear talks of the season starting in May. The idea of there being no season in 2020 is ridiculous.
    The idea that we'd all be told to not leave our homes for months felt like a ridiculous idea on January 1st, too. But here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The idea that we'd all be told to not leave our homes for months felt like a ridiculous idea on January 1st, too. But here we are.
    well I personally do find that ridiculous, so..

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And yet, literally everyone on the planet is being told to basically do that. So it doesn't really matter that you specifically think you know better than every expert on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Maybe if we all hold out a little bit longer, grit our teeth as we're going through withdrawal, cold turkey, we'll be rid of our addiction once and for all? LMAO
    I know you're being facetious, but there may be something to that. I am getting to the point where I don't miss it anymore. I'm into the "acceptance stage" and ready to move on. When we finally have restrictions lifted and can get back to a semi-normal life, baseball is not likely to be a priority for me.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

GAC (04-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I know you're being facetious, but there may be something to that. I am getting to the point where I don't miss it anymore. I'm into the "acceptance stage" and ready to move on. When we finally have restrictions lifted and can get back to a semi-normal life, baseball is not likely to be a priority for me.
    That's an interesting topic. Baseball (or any sport) shouldn't be anyone's priority over health or safety.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for what baseball provides me in terms of relaxation, something to look forward to most days, a hobby, something to talk to my dad about, etc. Again, health and safety and numerous other things are (and should always be) more important, but baseball is still important to me.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-08-2020)

This is a friend of mine's proposal. Has this been floated here (here, of ALL places)?

"Season opens August 12th.

Every team starts with the record they had on August 11, 1994 — after the last game played before the strike.

The WS winner gets rings for all the current players AND the guys from the ‘94 team.

It's obviously absurd and at least partially tongue-in-cheek. But, I mean, what is the world anymore?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

19. Likes:

M2 (04-08-2020),Old school 1983 (04-08-2020),RichRed (04-09-2020)

Well, there's a fair chance the Nats would be able to finish the job for the Expos.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This is a friend of mine's proposal. Has this been floated here (here, of ALL places)?

Every team starts with the record they had on August 11, 1994 — after the last game played before the strike.

The WS winner gets rings for all the current players AND the guys from the ‘94 team.

It's obviously absurd and at least partially tongue-in-cheek. But, I mean, what is the world anymore?
    Single best idea ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-08-2020),westofyou (04-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Each team has to have one member of the 1994 team on their roster. Who we keeping?

Turn Off Ads?