Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The numbers seem staggering. I get it. But considering without any mitigation it could be over a million, I'd say 100K is a victory.
    It's a victory the way getting into a car wreck that causes $8000 damage instead of being completely totaled is a victory.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's a victory the way getting into a car wreck that causes $8000 damage instead of being completely totaled is a victory.
    You drive a car worth more than $8k? Show off.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Was the govt "completely ignoring" it when they restricted travel from China in January or when they formed the present task force to monitor the spread in January?
    Yeah? The travel ban is just the button they mash for fun on any topic and boy that task force turned out to be just for show don't you think?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Was the govt "completely ignoring" it when they restricted travel from China in January or when they formed the present task force to monitor the spread in January?
    Completely ignoring it? No. 99% ignoring it? Yes. In the last week we've still seen governors downplaying this stuff. THIS WEEK.

This is just simply incorrect. Was the govt "completely ignoring" it when they restricted travel from China in January or when they formed the present task force to monitor the spread in January?

60,000 people died from the flu in 2018. And you think we would not have been close to 100k with this virus which is even more infectious?
    Travel restrictions to one country at that point is like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. By that point it was already in other countries and people were visiting from them. Either way, yeah, our government **** the bed on this.

Formed the present task force after disbanding the previous one which had been in place for years? Cool cool.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Completely ignoring it? No. 99% ignoring it? Yes. In the last week we've still seen governors downplaying this stuff. THIS WEEK.
    I give up trying to talk some of you into taking an optimistic view of our current reality. Carry on.

I give up trying to talk some of you into taking an optimistic view of our current reality. Carry on.
    A coworker of mine sounded just like you for the past month or so. Yesterday a friend of his died from COVID. Before you say “he was probably 89 years old and sickly!” - nope, in his early 50s and in good health.

People in this thread aren’t being pessimistic, we are simply being realistic and stressing how important it is to not poo-poo the seriousness of what is going on and how proactive we, as a society, need to be to get through this with a limited body count.

Florida hasn’t been taking this seriously, 7000 new cases yesterday.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Experts from the Executive Branch say that 100,000 people are going to die.

That's being optimistic.

Realistic is to aim a bit higher (ie, the upper end of the scale-- at 240,000).

Pessimistic would be to insist it'll be worse than that.

If, on the other hand, you're asking us to willingly be gaslighted by an administration that has consistently bungled attempts at containing this, yeah. You may just want to stop posting now to save yourself the attempt. Only a select few are buying that.

My optimism is we get good information and take the appropriate steps to help limit the damage. Gimme responsibility.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-01-2020),Redsfaithful (04-01-2020),Roy Tucker (04-01-2020),schmidty622 (04-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My optimism is we get good information and take the appropriate steps to help limit the damage. Gimme responsibility.
    Proactive steps, forward looking steps, not lagging behind, listening to experts, not denying facts or blaming others. Like Dewine has done.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-01-2020),M2 (04-01-2020)

Science is not the enemy, faith is not only the domain of the religious, truth and accountability define character.

Everyone matters, not just your tribe.

Seems like a pretty simple path to follow, yet we have seen time and time again that it isn't from people we expect to do it without thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Science is not the enemy, faith is not only the domain of the religious, truth and accountability define character.

Everyone matters, not just your tribe.

Seems like a pretty simple path to follow, yet we have seen time and time again that it isn't from people we expect to do it without thinking about it
    Whatever you say, 70 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-01-2020),Tuff Nut (04-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Proactive steps, forward looking steps, not lagging behind, listening to experts, not denying facts or blaming others. Like Dewine has done.
    Exactly. My optimism is we'll be responsible. That's the best-case scenario for everyone. And since this is a baseball thread, my optimism on that front is the people who run the league will make plans around the best information they can get, not some fond vision of the world as they'd like it to be. If we can get some baseball, that would be fantastic. I hope they give us something unique and compelling. We could use the diversion.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Get off my lawn, punk.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?