Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 1016

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

  1. #391
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    4,703

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The city of Toronto just banned all public events until June 30th. https://twitter.com/cbctom/status/1245076753850261505

    I haven't seen the specifics on what exactly that means, but it sounds like that means they aren't going to be playing baseball in Toronto before July - even if it is in front of no fans.

    Speaking of which, apparently MLB and the MLBPA have gotten around to the idea that maybe it IS better to play in front of no one rather than not play at all. https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/3/...20-coronavirus
    Baseball with no fans is INFINITELY better than no baseball at all.

  2. Likes:

    M2 (03-31-2020),Old school 1983 (04-01-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #392
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    monroe, OH
    Posts
    444

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The city of Toronto just banned all public events until June 30th. https://twitter.com/cbctom/status/1245076753850261505

    I haven't seen the specifics on what exactly that means, but it sounds like that means they aren't going to be playing baseball in Toronto before July - even if it is in front of no fans.

    Speaking of which, apparently MLB and the MLBPA have gotten around to the idea that maybe it IS better to play in front of no one rather than not play at all. https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/3/...20-coronavirus
    TV ratings would certainly be high.

  5. #393
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,970

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    IF baseball is played this year, I wonder if certain cities just aren't going to be home to any games. NYC, obviously, would be one of those cities.

  6. #394
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,970

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Bill Shaikin
    @BillShaikin

    In MLB circles, July 4 has been one of the options floated for a possible Opening Day.
    FWIW

  7. Likes:

    M2 (03-31-2020)

  8. #395
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,970

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    David Pagnotta
    @TheFourthPeriod

    1h
    IMPORTANT: Toronto's ban is exclusively city-led events. This does not affect NHL/NBA/etc. from returning.

    City exec of the Mayor's office told me via email, when asked if this affects pro sports:

    "No, (the Mayor) was speaking City permitted events like parades and festivals."

  9. #396
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    46

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    I wonder if robot umps are on the table for 2020 baseball. The less personnel on the field, the better.

  10. #397
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11,007

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    I wonder if robot umps are on the table for 2020 baseball. The less personnel on the field, the better.
    There will still be HP Umpires with the automated strike zone. A HP Ump is needed to call foul tips and other plays around the plate.

  11. #398
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That's what I think. 18 months of waves of isolation and shelter-at-home orders, with large-scale events like sports unlikely to happen in this time, at least not in a way we're used to.

    Our hospitals and health care systems are not prepared to deal with this on a large scale, and our government certainly isn't, so it's just going to be a matter of trying to control the scale until reliable approved treatments and vaccines are developed. That means the responsibility will fall to the public with a close monitoring of what is called for at any given time.
    I'd hope we would accept hundreds of thousands of elderly dead before this type of oppressed "life", wow. That's insanity.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  12. #399
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,096

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I'd hope we would accept hundreds of thousands of elderly dead before this type of oppressed "life", wow. That's insanity.
    Bring out your dead ... to the ballpark?
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  13. #400
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,853

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    I don't think we'll have 18 months of widespread lock downs like we have now. For one thing the economy couldn't survive it, and for another people won't accept it. I think most people would rather have the dead than this be the normal until October 2021.

    I think what you'll see is businesses open back up by July 1 across the country. You'll have sports without fans.

    And you'll see occasional cities that go into a lockdown if outbreaks begin to happen. And, yes, there will be dead along with this until a vaccine is found. But, you can't just shut down the world for years.

    But, in terms of a country shutting down like it is now, I really don't see it going past July.

  14. #401
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,637

    When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I'd hope we would accept hundreds of thousands of elderly dead before this type of oppressed "life", wow. That's insanity.
    Pathetic take, you giving up your family or just others?

  15. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (04-01-2020)

  16. #402
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,078

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I'd hope we would accept hundreds of thousands of elderly dead before this type of oppressed "life", wow. That's insanity.
    Wow. That's insanity.

  17. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (04-01-2020)

  18. #403
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,637

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wow. That's insanity.
    And just think on 3/9 he wrote this:

    As an individual, you should have been significantly more concerned about the flu during last year's opening day than coronavirus in 2020. This is beyond stupid.

    That's the data.

  19. #404
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pathetic take, you giving up your family or just others?
    Oh come on, look at numbers for a change. Over 99% of those that pass away are over 70 years old, and 70% of those passing are those that would have passed away within a year anyway (or would have died from the flu). This is an irrefutable fact, even in Italy.

    Secondly, living in a free society has risk. Driving on the roads, for example. You could shut down all roads to save lives, but at what point is it doing more harm than good? Sure, we could quarantine for the rest of our lives and live safely, but that isn't living at all. I'd even argue it causes more damage through lost prosperity, lost exercise, and demised mental health.

    So yes, I give up myself and my family to live with the additional risk that living in a free society brings.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  20. #405
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,013

    Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Oh come on, look at numbers for a change. Over 99% of those that pass away are over 70 years old, and 70% of those passing are those that would have passed away within a year anyway (or would have died from the flu). This is an irrefutable fact, even in Italy.

    Secondly, living in a free society has risk. Driving on the roads, for example. You could shut down all roads to save lives, but at what point is it doing more harm than good? Sure, we could quarantine for the rest of our lives and live safely, but that isn't living at all. I'd even argue it causes more damage through lost prosperity, lost exercise, and demised mental health.

    So yes, I give up myself and my family to live with the additional risk that living in a free society brings.
    Over 70? We are pretending 70 is deaths door?

    You’re probably speaking to a dozen people in this thread over 70. Including Westofyou, I’m pretty sure. So it’s cool you’re laughing at how expendable they are.

    As for the rest of this stuff: whenever someone brings up driving on the roads being risky in a conversation like this there really isn’t much of a point to continue.
    What would you say.....ya do here?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator